Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 10-21-2018, 11:59 AM   #1
zeekat
Human being with feelings

Default The opposite of the superstrat is a substrat I guess

Okay, it doesn't really work that well in English.

I wrapped my "$80 strat project" up, three tunes are enough I suppose. The last one is clean-tones based sort of a bossa-nova, ambient waltz whatever.

Everything I did with the guitar on "EP" on soundcloud, my imagination and lexical skills were on their last legs when inventing the title:

https://soundcloud.com/zeekat/sets/peripheral-vision-ep

I'm modding the SubStrat now with some spare humbuckers I had around. Cause it sounds perfectly okay but I hate the hum. Is there a cheap guitar fanpage on Facebook or something?
Old 10-21-2018, 12:39 PM   #2
Aeolian

A two humbucker strat with 22 frets and a Floyd rose, is possibly the most glorious expression of the electric guitar ever.

I love it when a good player rips it up on a standard sss strat, but that rarely works for me.

I love strats though, so it never stops me from trying
Old 10-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #3
Glennbo

Cool groove you have going on Zeekat. I love Latin and Brazilian rhythms. They're fun to play on drums. Looks like the Strat is working well too. Do you have a 5-way switch on it? I use the bridge and middle single coils out of phase for a pseudo humbucking effect on my Fender American Standard Strat, and it's almost as noisless as my Gibson L6S with Bill Lawrence designed humbucking pickups.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:03 PM   #4
zeekat

Yep, it's a regular 5-way switch, but not a fan of those 2&4 settings, no hum but they feel like you suddenly have water in your ears IMO. I like regular bridge and neck positions way more, they just make you remember what noise gate's for .

Thought my only option will be installing single-sized humbuckers, but looks like the guitar's body cut for HSH setup, hooray.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:04 PM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Yep, it's a regular 5-way switch, but not a fan of those 2&4 settings, no hum but they feel like you suddenly have water in your ears IMO. I like regular bridge and neck positions way more, they just make you remember what noise gate's for .

Thought my only option will be installing single-sized humbuckers, but looks like the guitar's body cut for HSH setup, hooray.
In my case, the pickups are the Custom Shop Fat 50s, which have fewer wraps on the coils so they are extra bright. Add to that the tone pot has a click stop at the wide open position that bypasses the tone pot completely, so it's like the pickups are wired direct to the volume pots. One of the main reasons I bought that guitar.

That said, I LOVE the high gain tone I can get out of my Gibson humbuckers, and if I could only keep one guitar, it would be the Gibson.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:40 PM   #6
zeekat

Ah, none of such thing here, only the traditional bridge pickup is wired straight to volume and entire electronics is probably worth a three bic pens. I'm with Aeolian on this, adding humbuckers and a stable bridge to a strat and everything is perfect. If termites eat my main, old superstrat I'm getting another one.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:01 AM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Ah, none of such thing here, only the traditional bridge pickup is wired straight to volume and entire electronics is probably worth a three bic pens. I'm with Aeolian on this, adding humbuckers and a stable bridge to a strat and everything is perfect. If termites eat my main, old superstrat I'm getting another one.
Humbucker in the bridge position will definitely sound great. One observation I have from the three guitars I have with humbucking bridge pickups is that my favorite one is the old 70s Gibson, which has lower output pickups than the other two. The one with the highest output I end up using the least, because it overdrives way too easily and a bit too far, and rolling off the volume to compensate changes the tone too much.

I didn't know that when I bought that one (it's an OLP clone of a MusicMan Silhouette), and I just assumed that higher output is always better. I've toyed with the idea of putting a lower output bridge pickup in it, but just haven't done it yet.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:07 AM   #8
Lokasenna

And here I saw the thread title and expected it to be a P-bass thread...
Old 10-24-2018, 11:29 AM   #9
Dimaension X

Quote:

That's funny, because most people buy a Strat JUST for the 2 and 4 sounds (that wonky "quack" sound). I think the first King's X albums were recorded on a Strat on the Bridge/Middle Pickup setting (#2?). They just have that "character", but if you're not into it, that's cool.
Dimaension X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:54 AM   #10
zeekat

I'm not a strat person at all (humbuckers all day, bought a strat clone because they're always the cheapest for some reason), I might be missing the point a bit yeah. But was under the impression they're liked because of their bright, glassy sound. Those mid position are like a weird, very stretched humbucker.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:03 AM   #11
karbomusic

Quote:
But was under the impression they're liked because of their bright, glassy sound.
Somewhat maybe but at least for me, and a number of fellow guitarists I know, it's far more about the *variety* of tonal ground that can be covered that I could never do with a Les Paul for example. I love LPs and I have one (1987 Studio) but it never gets used as much because it sort of has one sound compared to a strat with all single coils - that is strictly from a bread and butter perspective as I call it and keep in mind some of that is because I also play live and don't like to switch guitars.

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-25-2018 at 06:08 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:56 AM   #12
zeekat

I'm doing the rotten compromise with myself, just ordered a couple of single sized humbuckers for that thing. I wonder if they'd be more singles or more humbuckers. I suspect the large part of humbucker's sound is the coils spacing.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:30 PM   #13
Aeolian

I had single sized HS-3s in a strat that I had, and it promptly put me in "no mans land" in that they don't sound like singles or humbuckers, they sound unique, hotter than SCs and way weaker and thinner than a standard "paf" style bucker.

At the other end, a bucker that is too hot WILL curtail your dynamics pretty severely, like a keyboard with no velocity.

My favourite is a mild Paf style pup, alnico, around 8k resistance.
That will roll off wonderfully, but still push when needed.
Best of both worlds
Old 10-25-2018, 01:38 PM   #14
karbomusic

Come to think of it, most of my strats have hotter than stock pickups, except for my California strat which I keep stock because there are couple of tones I can get out of it and only it. The others are hotter and/or hand-wound custom PUs such as my '83 strat has Vand Zant pickups in it - those strats don't sound like HBs but they aren't weak sounding either.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:15 AM   #15
Dimaension X

I'd recommend single-coil sized "rail" humbuckers like Seymour Duncan Hot Rails, or the much less expensive GFS Lil Killers. They're high output humbuckers, but still have a single coil chime and clarity in the top end.
Dimaension X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:30 AM   #16
zeekat

I backed off the idea of single-sized humbuckers, as they don't fit in the original pickguard(weird!). So I installed a HH pickguard and Duncan Designed pickups in chrome cans that were originally in my Schecter C1+. Which didn't quite fit too, but I corrected the problem with a file and a drill, now the guitar's sorta compatible with '62 strat pickguard. Everything with 3 way switch, separate volume for each pickup, master tone and a 0,047uF capacitor for tone (I think Schecter has the same, so I bought a familiar one).

I think it's sorta neat looking as there's not many strats with chrome covered pickups. Everything works great so far. Man do I give too much attention to shitty cheap things or what.

Before and after:

Last edited by zeekat; 11-04-2018 at 09:45 AM.
zeekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:45 AM   #17
zeekat

Also, turns out youtube thinks my instrumental noodling has vocals in Spanish and generated sparse avantgarde lyric sheet accordingly:

Even marked parts which according to it sound like music, thanks youtube, that's validating!

Suspected it might be the radio samples with some speech I low level mixed in, but actually there's nothing spoken in the subtitled bits. Por que, youtube, por que? Is it because I'm en el este?