Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 05-17-2023, 04:07 PM   #1
Rednroll
Human being with feelings

Default Custom Toolbars: Copy/Paste Multiple Actions

I've been creating multiple specialized toolbars. One thing I'm finding extremely tedious is that I often create a toolbar with multiple actions and assigned icons, where I would like to re-use quite a few of those already defined toolbar buttons/actions and copy them to another specialized toolbar. In doing so I find I'm not able to select multiple button/actions and copy/paste them to another toolbar. I have to do a one at a time copy/paste from one toolbar to the other. I guess I'm expecting to be able to perform standard Window's Shift+Select and/or Ctrl+Select of multiple items and be able to perform a single copy/paste of those multiple items to my new toolbar.

Is there something I'm overlooking which is available which would make this process less tedious?

As a sort of work around I've been opening the "reaper-menu.ini" file and doing manual editing of it in a text editor since I can do multiple selection copying/pasting in the text editor, but then I have to go back and manually modify the item and icon number assignments which is also tedious.
Rednroll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 05:19 PM   #2
Coachz

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/39566/ReaBar.zip
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 04:17 AM   #3
Rednroll

Thank you! Will give that a try.
Old 05-18-2023, 10:58 AM   #4
Coachz

It works well I just wish the toolbar buttons were much larger for my old eyes
Old 05-18-2023, 01:46 PM   #5
Rednroll

What I found interesting is that ReaBar seems to put a preference of using the default icons located in Reaper's "Data/toolbar_icons" folder over the custom icons I created for my theme.

For example, I followed the instructions and put all my custom toolbar icons into the "v5_Default_ToolBar_Icons" folder like the instructions mention to do if you're using a custom theme. However, for every icon where I used the same names as the default icons it seems to pull the images from Reaper's "Data/toolbar_icons" folder instead of using the replacement icons I placed in the "v5_Default_ToolBar_Icons" Folder.

No biggie, it just throws me off a bit since what I'm viewing in ReaBar vs what I actually see in Reaper when using my theme is not the same but it still serves the purpose of providing a better user interface for copying/pasting toolbar buttons.

I'm still unable to do multiple selection copy/paste using ReaBar. Maybe I just haven't figured out a way to select multiple buttons in ReaBar? In either case, copying and pasting a single button from one toolbar to another in ReaBar is much simpler than what I was having to do within Reaper.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-18-2023 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-18-2023, 02:50 PM   #6
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
What I found interesting is that ReaBar seems to put a preference of using the default icons located in Reaper's "Data/toolbar_icons" folder over the custom icons I created for my theme.

For example, I followed the instructions and put all my custom toolbar icons into the "v5_Default_ToolBar_Icons" folder like the instructions mention to do if you're using a custom theme. However, for every icon where I used the same names as the default icons it seems to pull the images from Reaper's "Data/toolbar_icons" folder instead of using the replacement icons I placed in the "v5_Default_ToolBar_Icons" Folder.

No biggie, it just throws me off a bit since what I'm viewing in ReaBar vs what I actually see in Reaper when using my theme is not the same but it still serves the purpose of providing a better user interface for copying/pasting toolbar buttons.

I'm still unable to do multiple selection copy/paste using ReaBar. Maybe I just haven't figured out a way to select multiple buttons in ReaBar? In either case, copying and pasting a single button from one toolbar to another in ReaBar is much simpler than what I was having to do within Reaper.

Yeah I also looked for a way to do multiple copy and paste but does not appear to be possible and was a big disappointment seriously. In reaper though you can export toolbars and even rename their heading in a text editor so they can import to a different toolbar and then just delete what you don't need.
Old 05-18-2023, 08:56 PM   #7
Rednroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Yeah I also looked for a way to do multiple copy and paste but does not appear to be possible and was a big disappointment seriously. In reaper though you can export toolbars and even rename their heading in a text editor so they can import to a different toolbar and then just delete what you don't need.
That's what I had been doing. In some cases it ends up being a lot of mental book keeping, especially when your toolbars include dividers. As I'm sure you may be familiar, the reaper-menu.ini file has a incremental number assignment for each toolbar's "item"/action ID and then a corresponding number next to the icon image assignment. When you add a separator into your toolbar it increments the item number but doesn't add an equivalent icon number increment, where once you do the copy/paste in a text editor then you have to go back and modify both the icon and the item numbers where those numbers aren't always the same once you include a Seperator in your toolbar. Probably easier for a program to keep track of but makes my head hurt if I mess up the manual number assignment editing in the text editor and then you have to figure out what I did wrong once I realize my icons are no longer correctly mapped to the actions.

Kind of surprised there's not a multiple select copy/paste option in Reaper for this since everything else seems to have that ability.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-18-2023 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-19-2023, 03:38 AM   #8
Coachz

Yep it's a pain in the butt and could be so easy with a simple drag and drop gui with large icons that would let you shift click or control click large groups of icons
Old 01-04-2024, 02:04 PM   #9
djabthrash

+1

Current way is a total PITA.
I need to transfer like 14 buttons from my main toolbar to another toolbar, and doing it button by button is horrible...

If only i could copy/paste the 14 buttons all at once...
djabthrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 02:14 PM   #10
Coachz

It would be nice to have a Windows explorer style two pane toolbar manager where you could shift or control select and drag and drop.
Old 01-04-2024, 02:18 PM   #11
djabthrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
It would be nice to have a Windows explorer style two pane toolbar manager where you could shift or control select and drag and drop.
This also
djabthrash is offline   Reply With Quote