Old 01-26-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
shofarsogood
Human being with feelings

Default Audio Clicks during controller 7 moves

I'm working on an 8 channel surround panner using an iPad running Lemur as a control surface sending continuous controller #7 data on 8 MIDI channels simultaneously.

No clicking at all when Reaper receives no cont. controller data. During panner moves which send MIDI volume data on 8 tracks simultaneously, there is audio clicking. Random clicks, not zipper noise up to 1 second after MIDI data has stopped being sent.

Adjusting the buffer for my audio interface (Presonus 1818VSL)makes no difference at all (I tried every buffer value).

I tried changing many of the audio playback settings in Preferences but no luck.

I'm beginning to think this is not an audio processing issue, but a MIDI processing issue within Reaper.

Any ideas?
shofarsogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #2
shofarsogood

Default I'm sure somebody knows something about this...

Moving 8 faders at a time seems like a common scenario with all the control surfaces being used these days. Anybody else having problems with clicking during and shortly after fader moves?
Old 01-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #3
Mr. Data

Often, if you don't get any reply to your post(s), it's the case that no-one else has those issues or no-one else who has got the same problem has a solution to it (yet).

Keep in mind, that the controller #7 is the MSB of the MIDI volume parameter. so there could be bigger steps from one value (eg. 20) to the next bigger one (21), which cause this, whereas if the controller #7 would be used together with controller #39 (volume LSB), you'd have an additional 127 steps between MSB value 20 and 21.

-Data
Old 01-28-2014, 03:58 AM   #4
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Since you're sending the data via network, could also be an issue with your NIC or WLAN card interfering with audio processing - have you tried sending other CC#? Should have the same effect then.

If processing MIDI would be the problem, the noise should stop with with MIDI data.

Also, are tracks armed for recording when that happens? Does that also happen when you don't use ASIO/use onboard audio with WDM/DirectSound instead?

What is your operating system/platform, REAPER version (32 or 64 bit?) and can you describe your setup a bit? What surround panner exactly is that?
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:57 AM   #5
DarkStar

A bit long-winded but this may help the diagnosis:

(1) as well as sending the MIDI to the panner, record it on a new track and examine it (in the MIDI Editor) to see any oddities.

(2) after recording, use MIDItoReaControlPath to inject tjat recorded MIDi into the Automation path to see if there are still problems (without sending any new MIDI from the Lemur)

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=43741

(3) grab insertpizhere's MIDI monitor - very useful tool, as is his MIDiPack
Old 01-30-2014, 07:12 AM   #6
shofarsogood

Default Thanks much for the ideas!

In answer to some of the questions:

Computer= core i5 laptop running windows 7 latest version, audio interface is Presonus 1818VSL running as ASIO Latest version. I've tried all possible buffering/latency settings.

Reaper version is around 4.4 I believe (computer is not in front of me to check). I'm not running the latest version because I found this version to be stable for my needs until now and subsequent versions broke some things. It's been a while so I can't remember what didn't work with the later versions.

The Panner consists of homebrew computations within Lemur because I could not find a surround panner to meet my needs. Most surround panners are mono in, surround out (5.1, 7.1, 8.0, etc.). My panner is 8 in 8 out. Maybe you all know of a plugin that does this but I don't.

The panner sends 8 continuous streams of CC7 via iConnect MIDI2 to USB input on computer. No network involved at all. No CC7 data is sent when the cursor is stationary. While the cursor is in motion during the first second there are no clicks, then clicks start and continue even after the cursor movement stops for one second.

If I were to make a guess, this feels like Reaper MIDI processing problem where overload resulting in clicks starts after one second of cursor movement and continues even after cursor movement stops until the buffer of CC7 messages is cleared. Just a guess.

Thanks for any ideas.

Does anyone know of a real-time MIDI CC data thinner that can be put in-line to thin out the data stream?

Dave
Old 01-30-2014, 09:36 AM   #7
DarkStar

Try this JS FX:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=134606
Old 01-31-2014, 05:19 PM   #8
shofarsogood

Default MIDI CC data thinning plugin works but...

doesn't solve the problem. I still get the clicking in the audio while moving the cursor.

I have recorded the MIDI CC7 data and can verify the thinning action of the plugin Darkstar suggested is working. I am seeing no other MIDI data being sent from my panner to Reaper.

Incidentally, maybe I didn't explain it well, but the clicking audio continues AFTER the cursor movement has stopped for about 1 second. Audio is just fine when the panner's cursor is not being moved.

I looked (not real hard, though) for settings to optimize the computer for Continuous controllers and found none. Any ideas on that front?

Thanks much for helping me figure this out!!

Dave

Last edited by shofarsogood; 01-31-2014 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 01-31-2014, 07:52 PM   #9
shofarsogood

Default Problem solved!

with a simple reinstall of the audio interface driver.

Sorry to bother you all with my own ineptness...

Very grateful to those who gave me a hand!

Dave