Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 12-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #41
Rogie
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye View Post
No, still don't have it where I want it to be but I will keep working on it and try again...do you know a good flanger that maybe can catch that tone a little closer?
Sorry,...you'll have to try out the many free ones that are out there.
I've been using the Classic plugins for flanger,but there are others to experiment with.
I'm sure it's more in how you have one tweaked,more than what specific plug in is being used.

Maybe try the flanger with a Wah,and fiddle with the blend of the two,...the wah might just be sitting with the pedal only part way "open".

I'd also pick away at it by trying something with fresh ears,and referencing back to the original,...but don't dwell too long on it,as your ears will lose the "sense" for any subtle differences after you've listened to it for anything longer than 5-10 mins.
I don't know haw many times I've sat noodling around with my "tone library",working on something that didn't sound right,....then I get something I think is dialed in,......and then listen to it again the nest day or two later,...and I just say to myself,.."Were we partying with Rob Ford last night? What were we smoking,LOL?"
Rogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #42
camerondye

I have access to an Electro Harmonix Flanger Hoax which is a flanger phase dream and it sounds like there are a ton of sounds in it. I have the UAD MXR phaser, btw which is fantastic, and it's not doing it either for me. I think there will be something in the Flanger Hoax pedal that will get me in the ballpark, the pedal is insane and terrible for live use but I bet great for studio work and finding a sound. The flanger and an open wah is a great idea, I need to start trying that more on these guitar tones that sound a little like they are recording in a box. We'll see soon enough...
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #43
PitchSlap

Not sure if this answer has been suggested, but it's probably one of the more practical ones:

Use the Steven Slate "Old Zep" 1&2 kits. Trust me, without spending a boat load on gear, and having some VERY high level engineering chops and spending a lot of time, you won't get anywhere near as close. If you're recording a live drummer instead of using MIDI, try sample replacement/augmenting.

(I'm not a huge fan of Slate products and how they are often marketed, so I'm definitely NOT a shill for them, but I'd suggest listening to the demos and deciding for yourself)
Old 12-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #44
Ralphm773

Quote:
I think the modern gear comment is completely true but I'm going to try and tackle that a little in the final mixdown of the tune after I get vocals and see what I can do. I'm waiting on the songs to see what I get from vocalists before I decide to put the time in it honestly. Nobody's going to sound like Robert Plant and I figure that is what people are going to mainly judge the project on and I have the least amount of control over that part so I'm going to just deal with it as it moves along.

Yeah, the too tight problem is a really tough thing to deal with but I think it's a "damned if I do and damned if I don't" situation. If I'm too sloppy then I figure nobody will take it seriously though so I went with the other direction. Whenever I leave a mistake in it just sounds wrong instead of the classic Jimmy Page technique so I'm just playing them closer to correct. Out on the Tiles is the sloppiest song I'm doing. I honestly think that's why they mixed in so much room tone on the guitars...it's a pretty tough riff to get super tight and get the feel of the song. As you probably know Led Zeppelin were amazing.
Nobody's going to sound like Robert Plant and I figure that is what people are going to mainly judge the project on.... That is why I inquired; may I send you a track over laced on your versions? My first choice would be No Quarter. Thanks Ralph.
Ralphm773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #45
camerondye

Update on the project.

1) There are mix updates on almost everything and trying to move it a little better.

2) My friend Jeff did the harmonica on the end of Custard Pie and it turned out wonderful. He had a great sounding harmonica amp and I ended up using a Fathead II through a UA 6176.

3) A fellow Reaper-ite Ralphm773 is doing the singing on the project and the 1st one he finished vocals on is Royal Orleans and he did a fantastic job on it so make sure to take a listen. This is an very tough song to sing timing wise and Robert Plant sang pretty high so trying to sound like him isn't an easy feat and I'm very grateful for Ralph's involvement on this project.

www.reverbnation.com/cdlz/songs
Old 01-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #46
richie43

This is coming along really nicely!! Your vocalist is very brave.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:53 PM   #47
partonkevin

Don't forget to let us know about the drum miking secrets that you used!

Did you use that Crown PZM for anything? One of my first mics was the RadioShack PZM. I used it for EVERYTHING for several years. I recorded rehearsals and live gigs with it and it would sound just like you were standing there...close, anyway.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:19 AM   #48
camerondye

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
This is coming along really nicely!! Your vocalist is very brave.
...and talented

Quote:
Originally Posted by partonkevin View Post
Did you use that Crown PZM for anything? One of my first mics was the RadioShack PZM.
I did use the PZM mic as one of the 16 tracks I recorded but unfortunately none of these have the PZM mixed in. The PZM mic would sound good and on something more modern and I would have used it but it ended up being really clean and I needed these tracks to have a bit of hair on them already honestly. I ended up using mics in the next room and the one 15' in the air above the drum and maybe my stereo ribbon but I'd have to go check song to song to be sure. Honestly, most of this is the main four mics from the Glyn Johns technique which accented things nicely and having a talented drummer to play the parts nicely.

Thanks for listening and commenting on the project. It's still going to take a while more to finish but I'm happy with everything so far.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #49
camerondye

The 2nd mix with vocals is up on the reverbnation site and Ralph did a fantastic job on it. Take a listen when you get a chance...thanks

Old 02-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #50
camerondye

Custard Pie is up on the site now. Ralph on vocals, Jorg on drums, Jeff on Harp. Take a listen when you get a chance. Royal Orleans, The Lemon Song and Custard Pie all have vocals now...we are almost to the half way spot which is cool. Thanks for listening

Old 02-12-2014, 09:52 AM   #51
richie43

Rain Song is my favorite so far. Really nice capture on that one.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #52
jpanderson80

Cameron,
I can imagine that listening to the mixed songs bring a big dose of joy to you and the others involved. I think that they have some great vibe. As a drummer, I really respect this. Guitar players talk about tone a lot, but maybe us drummers should talk about tone more.

Can you elaborate on how you processed the drum tracks? (I imagine that the tracks may be slightly different, but just a high level overview would be fun.)

[I have a project coming up that could handle a "taste" of Bonham, so I'm trying to think about how we'd go about it while still sounding somewhat modern... not sure what sound we'll choose.]

Last edited by jpanderson80; 02-12-2014 at 01:35 PM.
jpanderson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #53
camerondye

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Rain Song is my favorite so far. Really nice capture on that one.
Thank you, my favorite also. Can't wait until I get the vocals

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpanderson80 View Post
Cameron,
I can imagine that listening to the mixed songs bring a big dose of joy to you and the others involved. I think that they have some great vibe. As a drummer, I really respect this. Guitar players talk about tone a lot, but maybe us drummers should talk about tone more.

Can you elaborate on how you processed the drum tracks? (I imagine that the tracks may be slightly different, but just a high level overview would be fun.)

[I have a project coming up that could handle a "taste" of Bonham, so I'm trying to think about how we'd go about it while still sounding somewhat modern... not sure what sound we'll choose.]
Thank you for the nice comments, this project has been an enormous amount of work but has been very rewarding for all the members on the project.

Wow, that's a haul because all the mixes are different but I will try to give a broad stroke answer and I will answer any specific questions you have if you have them after this.

I recorded like 16 microphones on the drum tracks so I had a ton of different sounds to choose from track to track so each track uses a different combination of mics. I listen to the original and kind of factor in a little change because of differences and just do my best. Honestly there is very little processing on most of the drums. I use Steven Slate VCC on the API on all the microphones I'm using and use the VCC buss on the drum buss that they are getting bussed to. I'm using a buss compressor on the drums which is usually the new UAD fairchild I think and sometimes the UAD Ampex tape sim. I'm doing some corrective eq here and there but not a ton honestly. Some of the tracks I'm using the new UAD Api channel strip on kick and then Rea-EQ to cut highs and lows out of things and not a ton more honestly. I'm using a Slate VBC on the master buss of the project, Fabfilter Pro-L for a limter, some Eq, Slate VCC buss, and sometimes the Ampex which obviously affect everything in the project including the drums.

Watch the Jeff Ocheltree youtube video on tuning like Bonham because it made a big difference. The Glyn Johns technique actually made a big difference in sounding like Bonham because it put so much enphasis on the floor tom and really did push it in the direction of sounding like Bonham honestly. It also helps to play like him but you said you wanted to move in that direction. Honestly I don't think the Glyn Johns technique is less modern necessarily just a different tool in the arsenal and once you use it you will understand it. On my 5Dye project I've actually never used the Glyn Johns on anything but I'm going to start putting up the Glyn Johns and the split pair overheads so I can make the decision in mixing to use either one I want and decide later.

Like I said, if you have more questions just ask away.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:35 AM   #54
camerondye

No Quarter and The Rain Song are up on the site now with vocals...excellent job Ralph again on these really tough songs.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:17 PM   #55
Ralphm773

Quote:
No Quarter and The Rain Song are up on the site now with vocals...excellent job Ralph again on these really tough songs.

Thanks Cam this was a lot of fun! Ralph.
Ralphm773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:48 PM   #56
JohnProphet

Necro bump just to give props for "No Quarter"....very nice vocals. Checking out Rain Song in a minute

good stuff
JohnProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:51 PM   #57
camerondye

Thanks a bunch, I had a lot of fun on these tunes.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:53 PM   #58
JohnProphet

who played drums? local NC player? u play bass right?

Im right up above you in Danville, Va

u still record a lot?
JohnProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:53 PM   #59
Garrick

Fantastic job on the rain song
Garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:02 PM   #60
camerondye

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnProphet View Post
who played drums? local NC player? u play bass right?

Im right up above you in Danville, Va

u still record a lot?

Drummer is a friend of mine in the area (Jorg). I played bass, guitar, and programmed all keys. I do still record a lot, probably never stop. I'm glad you guys like the project.