Old 05-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
jalan
Human being with feelings

Default Help with an old MIDI file

Hi, all. I recently dug out my old drum machine (BOSS DR-660) and recorded the MIDI for a song into Reaper. Unfortunately, I just kind of winged it, pressing record and play without setting up master/slave, only to find out the Reaper and the 660 have differing opinion on what 90bpm is

The MIDI starts off on the beat, but as the song continues, the hits gradually fall further to the right on the grid. Just wondering if/how I can sync this up correctly? I've tried quantizing it, but for whatever reason (likely user error), it doesn't seem to be working. Any tips/advice?
Old 05-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalan View Post
HThe MIDI starts off on the beat, but as the song continues, the hits gradually fall further to the right on the grid. Just wondering if/how I can sync this up correctly? I've tried quantizing it, but for whatever reason (likely user error), it doesn't seem to be working. Any tips/advice?
Try slowing the BPM down slightly. You can keep adjusting the BPM until it appears to be on the grid through the whole song.

However, if the original BPM is an odd number (like 124.142), or it's not steady then you'll have to make adjustments manually after you get it close.

Edit: Ooopps, no I don't think that's going to work. It'll work with audio but not midi it seems like. I've done it many times with an audio track but I see now midi reacts differently.

Last edited by Tod; 05-04-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
gofer
-blänk-

Yep, changing the project BPM won't help. The MIDI would just shift together with the grid and keep the tempo mismatch.

I'd probably alt+drag the item's right edge to stretch the item playrate enough to get the notes close to where they belong. I guess it's good to open the item in MIDI Inline editor mode to have a better view at the notes while stretching. I recommend to glue the item once you have a good match.

I think it would be very nice if stretching a MIDI item via alt+drag the edge could snap when a (selected?) note is on a grid line.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Tod

So the midi notes and timing is actually correct because they are triggering the BOSS DR-660, is that correct? Is there any audio tracks in this project? What were you playing the midi to?
Old 05-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
jalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
So the midi notes and timing is actually correct because they are triggering the BOSS DR-660, is that correct? Is there any audio tracks in this project? What were you playing the midi to?
Sorry I'm just getting back -- was offline most of the weekend. Neither Reaper nor the 660 was controlling the other; I just hit record on Reaper (and it started recording) and pressed play on the 660. The song I was recording had been programmed into the 660 ages ago.

I'm guessing the easiest thing would be to re-record it with Reaper controlling/triggering the 660, but I'm not sure how to set that up (yes, I'm a true midiot). Could you walk me through it?
Old 05-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
Tod

Quote:
Sorry I'm just getting back -- was offline most of the weekend. Neither Reaper nor the 660 was controlling the other; I just hit record on Reaper (and it started recording) and pressed play on the 660. The song I was recording had been programmed into the 660 ages ago.

I'm guessing the easiest thing would be to re-record it with Reaper controlling/triggering the 660, but I'm not sure how to set that up (yes, I'm a true midiot). Could you walk me through it?
Hi jalan, I would think the 660 either has SPP (Song Position Pointer) or MTC (Midi Time Code) so you can sync the 660 to Reaper. Or you might be able to sync Reaper to the 660.

You will need to have Reaper's Midi Out going to the 660 Midi In. You will have to check your 660 manual to see what might work.

Okay, I googled and found a manual for it and it appears the 660 has SPP. I've never used Reaper to sync to an outside device before so you'll have to experiment. I think you can run Reaper either as a Master or a Slave.

If you can get this going you should be able to record all your 660 programs, either as Midi or Audio or both.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
jalan

I think I've set the 660 up as the slave, but I have no idea how to set Reaper up to send the commands -- at least that's how I remember it working when I used to do this all the time in Sonar, right? Any tips on how to set that up? I've had zero luck searching the forum...
Old 05-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
Tod

Quote:
I think I've set the 660 up as the slave, but I have no idea how to set Reaper up to send the commands -- at least that's how I remember it working when I used to do this all the time in Sonar, right? Any tips on how to set that up? I've had zero luck searching the forum...
It's pretty well explained in nicholas's latest Reaper Manual, page 387 & 388.

Page 48 explains how to set the midi tracks up to send midi to the BOSS 660. The manual is in pdf format so you can search for things.

If you don't have the manual you can download it here:

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php

One of the things you'll need to do is right click on the Transport bar or Play button to select SPP.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
jalan

Hey. Sorry I'm just now replying -- been busy. Anyway, it took a while, but I think this worked. Thanks for taking the time to help me out!