Old 05-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
-R-
Human being with feelings

Default Best pitch shift quality?

Ok, here's what I'm tryin' to do:

I got a violin bank that I want to use to create a second violin bank. The idea is to move every sample up or down a half step in my sampler, but after having pitch-shifted the sample in the opposite direction. That way, the sample for the note D would be used to play C sharp, etc...so if first and second violins play in unison, it will not be the exact same sound.
Of course, quality must be as high as possible, and I don't care if it takes hours do the conversion.
So what are my options, within Reaper or thanks to a third party program? Any info appreciated. That's a side of Reaper that I don't know. Thanks!
-R- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
V'ger

PaulStretch is one of the absolute best pitch shifting apps and it's even free.

It's the one that got famous for slowing down a Justin Bieber song 800% and turning into a beautiful ambient number with millions of listens. The original SoundCloud file is down, but I see there's one on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QspuCt1FM9M

EDIT: link updated to main page with latest version.

Last edited by V'ger; 05-09-2011 at 12:32 PM.
V'ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:31 AM   #3
-R-

Thank you very much. I'll do my pitch-shift thing tonight. Cheers!
Old 05-09-2011, 04:33 AM   #4
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V'ger View Post
PaulStretch is one of the absolute best pitch shifting apps and it's even free.

It's the one that got famous for slowing down a Justin Bieber song 800% and turning into a beautiful ambient number with millions of listens. The original SoundCloud file is down, but I see there's one on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QspuCt1FM9M
That's actually really inspiring!!! I've just downloaded PaulStretch and am going to have a play around.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:41 AM   #5
-R-

Downloaded. Gonna give a try. What do you think about Reaper pitch-shift skills? Are they different modes? If so, what gives the best quality, no matter how long it takes? Gonna check that, but any suggestion highly appreciated
Old 05-09-2011, 05:41 AM   #6
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

I'm playing around with PaulStretch now. This is a REALLY cool tool, especially for ambient/soundtrack work.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
Mr. Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by -R- View Post
Downloaded. Gonna give a try. What do you think about Reaper pitch-shift skills? Are they different modes? If so, what gives the best quality, no matter how long it takes? Gonna check that, but any suggestion highly appreciated
There isn't an answer to this. It really depends on the signal, hence the many different modes.

Edit: Sorry, didn't read your first post first . In the case you describe, I'd try one of the Élastique or Dirac modes, although Dirac needs a lot of time, but on the other hand IMO doesn't always give the best results.

Thanks for the link V'ger. Just downloaded. Still have to try.

-Data

Last edited by Mr. Data; 05-09-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
V'ger

Sorry, I linked to version 2.0, latest is 2.2:
http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/

(The link above updated)
V'ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
Cableaddict

I've never used PaulStretch, but from its own website description, I don't think it's what the OP needs. quote:

" It is suitable only for extreme sound stretching of the audio (like 50x) and for applying special effects by "spectral smoothing" the sounds."
-------------------------

The industry standard, by leaps and bounds, is Melodyne. It is expensive, complicated, and mainly designed for pitch CORRECTION, but it does pitch change amazingly well.

There's also a fairly new one I like, called Vielklang. - which also does harmonization.

Waves Sound Shifter & Serrato PitchnTime are also very, very good.

Also, FWIW, Reaper's built-in Élastique is really not bad at all.
Cableaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #10
Mr. Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
I've never used PaulStretch, but from its own website description, I don't think it's what the OP needs. quote:

" It is suitable only for extreme sound stretching of the audio (like 50x) and for applying special effects by "spectral smoothing" the sounds."
-------------------------
I'd agree on that. to do "normal" timestretch (whatever that is) PaulStratch applies too many artefacts. On that matter I couldn't get any usable results. However, very compelling is the HyperStretch function which allows a 55 second wavefile to be stretched to about 1.7 trillion years. Have to try this once or twice.

-Data