Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #1
peteblack
Human being with feelings

Default Sustain Pedal to Sostenuto - Midi Translation

I have a Midi Controller with an sustain pedal (exclusively) which works perfectly with my Piano VSTs.
But now I need to use sostenuto on some piano pieces. My idea was to use another small midi controller and use its sustain input. I would like to add a new track where i use a small plugin which translates the sustain from my second midi controller to sostenuto signal and send it to the track where the main piano controller is configured to work with the Piano Vst.

Do you know any Plugin that can translate CC#64 (Sustain) to CC#66 (Sostenuto) .

Last edited by peteblack; 01-02-2016 at 06:22 PM.
peteblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:51 PM   #2
beingmf

What? CC64 is CC64, no matter how you call it
Old 01-02-2016, 01:43 PM   #3
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteblack View Post
Do you know any Plugin that can translate CC#64 (Sustain) to Sostenuto).
I am not aware of such a plugin, but I intend to do the programming for that some day.

If there is no "Sostenuto" CC, you will need to do the functionality in software: do handle the position of some controller (not necessarily CC#64, in fact better some other #, so that #64 = Sustain still is workable) in a way that when "on", the appropriate note-off events are delayed until the CC# get "off".

That is certainly doable in a JSFX script.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 01-02-2016 at 11:52 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:20 PM   #4
msmucr

First, primary functionality has to be implemented by particular piano VSTi or sample instrument.. There is standard CC number assigned to sostenuto switch - 66.

If you want to use some secondary pedal which operates at different CC# like 64 (standard hold pedal - sustain) and doesn't have sostenuto, then you can use included JS plugin midi_CC_mapper, where you can easily remap incoming CC 64 to CC 66.

Of course, you need to distinguish between your primary MIDI pedal with sustain and secondary pedal, where you need to remap sustain to sostenuto.
I don't know, how you have your pedals connected, but each pedal has to come either at different input MIDI port or different channel. Otherwise, every CC 64 message will be remapped to sostenuto and you will loose ability to use standard sustain.
I would create additional MIDI track just for that sostenuto input, set it to MIDI input just from secondary controller, insert midi_CC_mapper as Input FX and then create Reaper send to your main track.
It should work that way.

Michal
Old 01-02-2016, 05:20 PM   #5
JRC

Hi, I've written a plugin that (among other things) makes cc64 act like a sostenuto pedal for whatever midi instrument follows. As soon as my kids are back in school and I get a few moments of peace I'll double check it works and link to it here.

Cheers!
JRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:30 PM   #6
peteblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
First, primary functionality has to be implemented by particular piano VSTi or sample instrument.. There is standard CC number assigned to sostenuto switch - 66.

If you want to use some secondary pedal which operates at different CC# like 64 (standard hold pedal - sustain) and doesn't have sostenuto, then you can use included JS plugin midi_CC_mapper, where you can easily remap incoming CC 64 to CC 66.

Of course, you need to distinguish between your primary MIDI pedal with sustain and secondary pedal, where you need to remap sustain to sostenuto.
I don't know, how you have your pedals connected, but each pedal has to come either at different input MIDI port or different channel. Otherwise, every CC 64 message will be remapped to sostenuto and you will loose ability to use standard sustain.
I would create additional MIDI track just for that sostenuto input, set it to MIDI input just from secondary controller, insert midi_CC_mapper as Input FX and then create Reaper send to your main track.
It should work that way.

Michal
Thanks for your ideas. I had the same idea -> I used a new track for just the secondary midi controller and used cc_mapper plugin and send (post fx option) this tracks midi signal to my primary track where I have my Piano VST which only receives Midi from my primary controller (where I have my Sustain working as it should).
It does not work 100% right, sometimes I get the sostenuto and some times I just don´t get it...
Old 01-02-2016, 06:31 PM   #7
peteblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRC View Post
Hi, I've written a plugin that (among other things) makes cc64 act like a sostenuto pedal for whatever midi instrument follows. As soon as my kids are back in school and I get a few moments of peace I'll double check it works and link to it here.

Cheers!
If you could post your plugin I would be supper thankful and give it a try.
I think this is something also other would like to see at some point...
Old 01-03-2016, 06:18 AM   #8
msmucr

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteblack View Post
Thanks for your ideas. I had the same idea -> I used a new track for just the secondary midi controller and used cc_mapper plugin and send (post fx option) this tracks midi signal to my primary track where I have my Piano VST which only receives Midi from my primary controller (where I have my Sustain working as it should).
It does not work 100% right, sometimes I get the sostenuto and some times I just don´t get it...
That's weird, it should be just MIDI controller events translation. And usually its has just two states, values are interpreted as 0-63 - off state, 64-127 - on state (pedal depressed) by piano VST.
I wouldn't expect such intermittent issues after you establish that setup and it starts to work.
Maybe also try to insert ReaControlMIDI to the main track before VSTi plugin, there is log of passing MIDI events, where you should easily see translated sostenuto events coning from other track. Just to see what's going on, if pedal doesn't work and if messages are coming into the instrument.

Michal
Old 01-16-2016, 08:25 PM   #9
JRC

Hi Peter, Sorry it took so long. Hope this helps:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ferrerid=84002
Old 01-16-2016, 10:25 PM   #10
Andywanders

JS MIDI CC Mapper is part of Reaper.

Andy M. VST
Andywanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #11
JRC

The js midi cc mapper will work if the sound source responds to cc66; my plugin emulates the sostenuto behavior and can be used with any sampler, synth, etc.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:14 AM   #12
konstantinqq

Default how to translate (convert) CC#64 (Sustain) to CC#66 (Sostenuto) .

This tread exactly about this https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=214905
You need to convert it, with "Midi convert to CC" plugin. (can be downloaded with ReaPack, that need to be installed first)

Last edited by konstantinqq; 04-24-2019 at 08:15 AM. Reason: add theme
konstantinqq is offline   Reply With Quote