Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 05-31-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)
Default Neve 1073 custom preamp designs - REAPER community project

UPDATE 6th June 2011 - It looks like we're going for a Neve 1073 specific custom build at this stage.

1st June 2011 Original post:

Based on the interest shown in the 'Neve 1073 clone' thread, I figured it would be an idea to create a topic here that I can edit for those who are interested in a group purchase of Seventh Circle Audio kits.

The idea here is that if enough people show interest, we could do a bulk order, get them sent to me to build, I'll build them and ship them to you.

This is a starting point to discuss the viability and logistics of this idea. I'm based in Australia.

Here's the list of people who have shown interest so far. I'll update this as we go:

ObiK
PedroSobota
pixeltarian

Last edited by Dannii; 06-05-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Dannii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
RichardM

Can you give us a rough idea of price? Nothing that we'd hold you to ... just an estimate.
RichardM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Can you give us a rough idea of price? Nothing that we'd hold you to ... just an estimate.
I'd like to think we can aim somewhere between the raw kit prices and the fully assembled prices. It will all boil down to postage costs and how many come on board.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
ObiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannii View Post
I'd like to think we can aim somewhere between the raw kit prices and the fully assembled prices. It will all boil down to postage costs and how many come on board.
Ya I'm pretty much down for a pair of either the Neve or a pair of the API clones. Oh and one of those cool DI's too. So the chassis and all that, 2 pres and a DI.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
Ya I'm pretty much down for a pair of either the Neve or a pair of the API clones. Oh and one of those cool DI's too. So the chassis and all that, 2 pres and a DI.
Great to hear Obi. I'm going to look into the options for various configurations and get some rough prices together over the next day or so. I'll keep everyone updated here.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
pixeltarian

I didn't realize it was going to be a SCA kit thing. I was expecting a parts sourcing thing which would probably cut the cost of materials in half (or less). I'm going to have to do the responsible thing and get my fivefish kit fixed instead. if I'm going to get an SCA kit it's has to be the twin servo... I'll just regret any other choice because I've been eyeballin' that one for years. I just don't have the funds for it at the moment - probably 400 or more dollars just for the kit +shipping costs to NZ and back. Then we have assembly, case, power supply, and 2 discrete opamps (probably john hardy)... seems I'll need 1k to throw around before my preamp dreams all come true...

Last edited by pixeltarian; 06-02-2011 at 03:47 PM.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #7
SafeandSound

I had a lot of interest in this company (as well as the Hamptone preamplifier) when I was doing more recording, good plan.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:06 AM   #8
danielg

Hi Dannii,

What about www.jlmaudio.com in Queensland? They have Neve style kits, and other flavours besides. SC stuff looks great, but maybe an Aust. supplier would be more cost effective. From my research JLM stuff is comparable quality wise, not sure about pricing.

Daniel
danielg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:22 AM   #9
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielg View Post
Hi Dannii,

What about www.jlmaudio.com in Queensland? They have Neve style kits, and other flavours besides. SC stuff looks great, but maybe an Aust. supplier would be more cost effective. From my research JLM stuff is comparable quality wise, not sure about pricing.

Daniel
whoe! did their site used to have a black background instead of white? I think I remember browsing this site before...

it's not as glamourous, but I think making this VU meter would be sweet:

http://www.jlmaudio.com/shop/index.p...iewCat&catId=9

just throw it in a vertical enclosure and put it on the desk. that would be sweet.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:53 AM   #10
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielg View Post
Hi Dannii,

Daniel
Great link Daniel. The kits do indeed look good but they are quite expensive. More so than the SCA or Soundskulptor ones by the time transformers and other items are included.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
whoe! did their site used to have a black background instead of white? I think I remember browsing this site before...

it's not as glamourous, but I think making this VU meter would be sweet:

http://www.jlmaudio.com/shop/index.p...iewCat&catId=9

just throw it in a vertical enclosure and put it on the desk. that would be sweet.
That meter kit indeed looks nice. It would possibly make a great additional option to our endeavours here.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #11
toddcatx

Default 1272 PS

I've got my 1272 (Brent Averill) import from the states, just need to get the power supply sorted. US charges $250 plus shipping...anyone know how much to get it "converted", or just where to get a new one built locally that will work?

cheers,

td

Last edited by toddcatx; 08-20-2011 at 02:41 AM. Reason: misspelling
toddcatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:07 PM   #12
pixeltarian

beautiful photos.
I'd love to live in australia but I don't like snakes or spiders. home of the deadliest creatures.
like the inland taipan...
Old 08-19-2011, 11:56 PM   #13
boatbassguy

Quote:
beautiful photos.
I'd love to live in australia but I don't like snakes or spiders. home of the deadliest creatures.
As an Austrailian, that is the most pissweak and lame cop out I've ever heard. : )
boatbassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #14
Amazed

Quote:
beautiful photos.
You needn't worry. The government won't let anything happen to you in Australia. Here you need a permit to pass gas. I would be very surprised if you don't need a permit to receive a snake bite.
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #15
boatbassguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
You needn't worry. The government won't let anything happen to you in Australia. Here you need a permit to pass gas. I would be very surprised if you don't need a permit to receive a snake bite.
I passed gas the other morning without a permit and nearly got caught!! Lucky, I simply can't afford the fine.
boatbassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #16
Dannii

As many of you have probably read, my move is now done and I have my new studio up and running. I'm still keen to keep the ball rolling on this project but my finances have been directed to the video production side of things temporarily and I don't have much left at present for the Neve pre's.
Just thought I'd give a short update for those following this topic.

Oh, and I'm putting together a short video of the new studio and the surrounding area which I hope to have done soon. I'll post it here when complete.