Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Spatial Audio

Old 12-31-2016, 12:54 AM   #1
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)
Default ReaVerb, Valhalla, Waves, VoS 3D Ambisonic FX

After quite some trial and error with various techniques to arrive at a genuine Ambisonic B Format reverb using Valhalla reverbs, I finally put something together that works.

This track template can be used in Ambisonic mixes to achieve genuine, three dimensional, B Format reverb with width, height and depth input and output. If you solo the reverb, you'll hear all your directional and panning cues in the reverb mix.

I've used a bunch of channel mixing techniques, M/S decode and encode and level correcting JS plugins (all stock REAPER plugins) in combination with three instances of (in this first template), Valhalla Vintage Verb. Every parameter for adjusting the reverb is linked so all that is necessary is to adjust the first instance of VVV and the other two will follow. This includes selecting presets too.

The track template uses 16 audio channels. Channels 1-4 are the B Format input and output, channels 5-8 are X (front/back) reverb, channels 9-12 are Y (left/right) reverb and channels 13-16 are Z (up/down) reverb. EDIT - Those channel arrangements are for the older FuMa format. Blue Ripple Sound have just released their new SN3D updates which have the channel arrangements as WYZX. This is directly compatible with YouTube 360 and Facebook VR. These track templates will work with both arrangements without modification. Channels 5-16 are mixed internally in the track routing matrix and output back to 1-4. Those channels won't output to your mix so if you have other channels in the audio chain, it won't interfere with them. I am using this track template in third order Ambisonic mixes which have 16 channels of audio so I designed this template to work in that environment too.
Even though this template processes first order Ambisonics (channels WXYZ for FuMa or WYZX for SN3D), it is still very effective when used in higher order mixes. It isn't vital to have the reverb in higher order format to still be very effective.

All you need to do is send any B Format sends to channels 1-4 and the track will add reverb and output back to 1-4. If you are mixing in higher order Ambisonics, just send the first four channels to this track.

There's no reason you couldn't substitute any other stereo in/stereo out FX for the three instances of Valhalla Vintage Verb here to achieve genuine B Format FX. You'll need to set the channel i/o pins on each instance of your replacement FX the same way I have them set in the reverbs and you'll need to manually link each parameter from the second and third instance back to the first one if you want to have master control but it can be done reasonably easily.

Download ReaVerb Ambisonic track template here. Thanks lamacchiacosta for creating this.
This link contains important information about setting up i/o pin configurations for those who want to substitute other stereo plugin FX for Ambisonic use.

Download the Valhalla Vintage Verb Ambisonic track template here.

Download the Valhalla Room Ambisonic track template here.

Download the Valhalla Shimmer Ambisonic track template here.

Download the Waves Trueverb Ambisonic track template here.

Download the Variety of Sound NastyDLA MK2 Ambisonic track template here.

Last edited by Dannii; 03-13-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Dannii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 01:21 AM   #2
Dannii

Valhalla Room template added to first post.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:46 AM   #3
Dannii

Valhalla Shimmer template added to first post.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:36 AM   #4
Dannii

I made up another one of these using VoS NastyDLA Mk2 and should have the track template uploaded over the next couple of days. As with the others, all knobs and controls are linked over the three instances for easy control.

The secret to getting a nice, wide spread is to use FX that have outputs that vary their calculations in such a way that no two instances produce an identical output.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:08 AM   #5
Melvin J.

Awesome, ReaDave. Thank you for the share!
Old 01-04-2017, 02:42 PM   #6
airon

Good grief Dave. Lots to learn from this. I know far too little and it's too cool for that.

Can you recommend a resource to learn about Ambisonics and how to use it ? I'm wondering how to monitor this effectively.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:41 AM   #7
vincentoliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
After quite some trial and error with various techniques to arrive at a genuine Ambisonic B Format reverb using Valhalla reverbs, I finally put something together that works.
This sound amazing! Exactly what I'm after. I'm having trouble using it, though. I 'insert track from template' and nothing happens. I'm new to Reaper, am I missing something?

Thanks
vincentoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:02 PM   #8
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentoliver View Post
This sound amazing! Exactly what I'm after. I'm having trouble using it, though. I 'insert track from template' and nothing happens. I'm new to Reaper, am I missing something?

Thanks
Welcome aboard Vincent.

This track template works as an FX return channel. You'll need to send it a signal from your source channels and set up the send with multichannel source (four channels) assuming your sources are Ambisonic.
Are you familiar with setting up sends in REAPER yet?
I'm posting this from my phone so I can't post screen shots from REAPER.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:41 PM   #9
vincentoliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
Welcome aboard Vincent.
Hi Dave, thanks!!

I'm familiar enough with tracks and sends etc. Watched 7 hours of tutorials.. :/

But when I say nothing happens I mean nothing. The track doesn't show up at all.

(In other matters, may I point your attention to another question I posed? Getting no responses as yet! https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=194834)
Old 08-09-2017, 03:25 PM   #10
vincentoliver

oh scrap that, it is working! I'll have a fiddle tomorrow.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:25 PM   #11
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentoliver View Post
oh scrap that, it is working! I'll have a fiddle tomorrow.
Great to hear you have it working.

I did read your question in your other post but my primary use for Ambisonics is for 3D music mixing rather than VR. As such, I haven't played about with cameras and object tracking so there's probably not a lot I could offer in that regard.
Old 04-04-2021, 04:09 AM   #12
Thanasis

I just create a sent channel and introduce a stereo reverb putting before this ATK stereo encoder and last the corresponding stereo decoder. I'd like to know if that's wrong.
Thanasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:08 AM   #13
TomekSmilok

I'm not sure, are these templates producing a 360 reverb on stereo ?
TomekSmilok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 05:35 PM   #14
ScuzzyEye

I've been making a few of these for my own collection of stereo reverbs. With plugins that have only a dozen parameter linking them by hand isn't a big deal. Just looked at one that had about 50, and thought better than going through the 150+ clicks to do them all. Does anyone have a quick way to link all the parameters from one plugin to another matching one?
ScuzzyEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 09:06 AM   #15
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuzzyEye View Post
I've been making a few of these for my own collection of stereo reverbs. With plugins that have only a dozen parameter linking them by hand isn't a big deal. Just looked at one that had about 50, and thought better than going through the 150+ clicks to do them all. Does anyone have a quick way to link all the parameters from one plugin to another matching one?
I think you can get your hands on the action "Script: spk77_Link selected tracks FX parameters.lua" through ReaPack. If you select the track and the fx you want to link the parameters of and run the action it will automatically link up all their parameters.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 03:28 PM   #16
ScuzzyEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
I think you can get your hands on the action "Script: spk77_Link selected tracks FX parameters.lua" through ReaPack. If you select the track and the fx you want to link the parameters of and run the action it will automatically link up all their parameters.
Close, but not quite. Something goes strange with this script when there are 3 plugins linked to each-other. Like some of the changes on one are proportional on the other two. Also it doesn't save the linking in the FX Chain, so I can't make easy to load templates.
ScuzzyEye is online now   Reply With Quote