Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 10-27-2021, 06:32 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Raspberry Pi / Oxygen Pro Mini

I just got an M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini midi controller for my Raspberry Pi yesterday, and today I gave it a workout.

First I setup SM_Drums so I could play them from the 8 pads, plus damper pedal kick on the Oxygen Pro Mini. All the drums on this were played on the Oxygen Pro Mini.

Then I setup two banks of faders on the Oxygen to control 8 drawbars on the SetBfree organ, and recorded a track followed by a sampled grand piano in Carla. The organ track has drawbars being moved the whole time so it changes color as it goes. You can hear that pretty clear at the intro.

After that I recorded a track of my 5-String Stingray bass, and SG guitar. Lastly I played a sax solo with a great tenor sax sample in Carla.

All the drums and keyboards were played on the new Oxygen Pro Mini, and only the bass and guitar were recorded through the line in. All recorded on the Raspberry Pi4 running 48k@128 samples.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/son...ongID=14334357

You can see how tiny this sooper cool midi controller is. My hand covers more than half of it.

Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:56 PM   #2
jacksoonbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I just got an M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini midi controller for my Raspberry Pi yesterday, and today I gave it a workout.

First I setup SM_Drums so I could play them from the 8 pads, plus damper pedal kick on the Oxygen Pro Mini. All the drums on this were played on the Oxygen Pro Mini.

Then I setup two banks of faders on the Oxygen to control 8 drawbars on the SetBfree organ, and recorded a track followed by a sampled grand piano in Carla. The organ track has drawbars being moved the whole time so it changes color as it goes. You can hear that pretty clear at the intro.

After that I recorded a track of my 5-String Stingray bass, and SG guitar. Lastly I played a sax solo with a great tenor sax sample in Carla.

All the drums and keyboards were played on the new Oxygen Pro Mini, and only the bass and guitar were recorded through the line in. All recorded on the Raspberry Pi4 running 48k@128 samples.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/son...ongID=14334357

You can see how tiny this sooper cool midi controller is. My hand covers more than half of it.

Love it, great arrangement, great mix, great sound.
Love that controller
Only thing i would suggest is to move the left cymbal crash (china ?) a bit more right
jacksoonbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:39 AM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoonbrowne View Post
Love it, great arrangement, great mix, great sound.
Love that controller
Only thing i would suggest is to move the left cymbal crash (china ?) a bit more right
Thanks!

Yeah, I think both the crash cymbals could be pulled in more to the middle. I'm using Sfizz for the SM_Drum samples, and its pan controls seem to be more sensitive.
Old 11-06-2021, 10:22 PM   #4
Glennbo

Quote:

https://www.soundclick.com/music/charts.cfm?genreID=2
Raspberry Pi music hits #1 out of 46,519 other songs in Jazz!

Wasn't expecting that with the quick song I hammered out to test out the new mini keyboard with my Pi4.
Old 11-07-2021, 05:05 AM   #5
TonE

Cool. I mean the position 1 placement with a "test song".

A few possible reasons:
a- interesting terms used (Rpi)
b- some new hardware name (Oxygen Pro Midi)
c- maybe interesting hi hat / snare drum layers (SMM drums)
d- the musical content (no matter what)

It would be compelling getting the hit ratio reasons for a, b, c, d. Who visited / listened to that song because of what? a or b or c or d?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:42 AM   #6
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Cool. I mean the position 1 placement with a "test song".

A few possible reasons:
a- interesting terms used (Rpi)
b- some new hardware name (Oxygen Pro Midi)
c- maybe interesting hi hat / snare drum layers (SMM drums)
d- the musical content (no matter what)

It would be compelling getting the hit ratio reasons for a, b, c, d. Who visited / listened to that song because of what? a or b or c or d?
I'm thinking the "Raspberry Pi" aspect probably got a lot of plays just to see what that was about, followed by interest in the Oxygen midi controller. I use that space to put short pieces of test music up, and have always deleted older tests when new ones are uploaded, but now I'm going to have to leave this one up for good and put new tests after it.
Old 11-07-2021, 08:33 AM   #7
TonE

Interesting would be testing same strategy also in other styles, not only jazz, the musical content is secondary anyway, probably. Seeing how well it will go there.

Youtube video generators use such strategies probably all the time. Put some image, get the clicks.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:48 AM   #8
Glennbo

Hehe, Raspberry Pi and Oxygen make an accidental marketing strategy.
Old 11-07-2021, 05:46 PM   #9
sub26nico

@Glennbo, have you tried the transport's buttons ? It would be very interesting if the transport control works fine.
sub26nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 06:06 PM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub26nico View Post
@Glennbo, have you tried the transport's buttons ? It would be very interesting if the transport control works fine.
When you select REAPER as the DAW in the Oxygen Pro Mini's menus, all the transport buttons work with REAPER, and the four faders and four knobs control the first four tracks in REAPER for volume and pan. There are > and < buttons that let you select groups of four tracks in REAPER.

IOW upon power up the faders control tracks 1,2,3,4 but hitting the > button makes them control tracks 5,6,7,8 and hitting the > button again controls tracks 9,10,11,12 and so on.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:59 AM   #11
sub26nico

Quote:
When you select REAPER as the DAW in the Oxygen Pro Mini's menus, all the transport buttons work with REAPER, and the four faders and four knobs control the first four tracks in REAPER for volume and pan. There are > and < buttons that let you select groups of four tracks in REAPER.

IOW upon power up the faders control tracks 1,2,3,4 but hitting the > button makes them control tracks 5,6,7,8 and hitting the > button again controls tracks 9,10,11,12 and so on.
Ok, thanks.
sub26nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 09:07 AM   #12
Glennbo

Quote:

Some additional stuff I found in DAW mode. Below the four sliders are four buttons that can be switched to control the Record, Solo, and Mute buttons in REAPER, or a 4th choice for the buttons to toggle the select state of the four tracks currently being controlled by the Oxygen.

Last edited by Glennbo; 11-08-2021 at 09:14 AM.