Old 07-09-2020, 12:39 AM   #1
JimmyTheSaint
Human being with feelings

Default no audio in detected

I’m using REAPER (though I also quickly tried with Logic Pro X) on my MacBook Pro 16" Catalina, where my VST’s all work properly. I create a track for my Arturia AudioFuse Studio’s audio in, and all of the AFS’s audio inputs are selectable in the track’s dropdown menu, so I select the correct audio in, which is MIC/LINE/INST 1 (see screenshot #4). Right-clicking the record arm shows "Monitor Input" checked. There’s no FX enabled for the channel. I know my audio selection is correct and the computer is receiving this audio in because the AudioFuse Control Center app shows activity on the correct channels (see screenshot #5). I’ve gone through that app’s settings to see if anything will enable audio in the DAW. The DAW track is record-armed, but there’s simply no audio coming through. I try selecting the AFS’s other audio inputs for that track, but there’s nothing there as expected. I also tried inputting audio via other inputs on the AFS including Bluetooth, but nothing works.

Meanwhile, the audio from VST’s on the other tracks is all OK (see screenshot #3). REAPER’s settings specify the correct audio device (see screenshots #1 and #2), and if there’s some buried setting that’s preventing audio here, I don’t see it. I’ve tried restarting REAPER. I've also tried setting the laptop microphone as the audio device, but there's no input from there either, so I'm convinced I'm missing something n00bish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reaper-1.jpg (60.3 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg reaper-2.jpg (57.4 KB, 127 views)
File Type: png reaper-4.png (41.7 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg reaper-5.jpg (61.3 KB, 133 views)
JimmyTheSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:52 AM   #2
numberthirty

Take a look at the "Mac Specific..." component of this thread -

https://line6.com/support/topic/3604...mojave-update/

I've had a couple of friends fix an issue that seemed pretty similar to what you are describing by dealing with that specific step.

Might be the same in Mojave and Catalina?
numberthirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:54 AM   #3
JimmyTheSaint

Thanks, I'll check that. I should add that I'm not even getting visual levels on the interface meters. I've also given REAPER access to the microphone in the Security & Privacy settings.

EDIT: Oh wait, it's fixed. The problem was indeed the microphone access as described in the recommended Mac specific forum. The other problem was that after I enabled the microphone, I then made a mistake on the input selection, so I had fooled myself that the original problem still wasn't fixed.

There's no reason for a user to expect that MacOS's microphone permission is also the permission for the whole audio interface. While Apple maintains this misleading situation, perhaps the devs could add a note to the REAPER manual.

EDIT 2: I have to add: I don't want to give DAWs access to my laptops' microphones, just the audio interface. Apple's mixing the two together forces an undesirable security loophole.

Last edited by JimmyTheSaint; 07-09-2020 at 01:07 AM.
JimmyTheSaint is offline   Reply With Quote