Old 06-24-2020, 01:54 AM   #1
Futur8me
Human being with feelings

Default Apple goes ARM Mac.

Would just like to know from Justin if Reaper will be slowly ported over to ARM when the new ARM Macs start to roll out at the end of this year.., I think Apple said its a 2 year gradual change to full ARM.

Apple are sending out Mac minis with ARM A12Z cpus to developers now to help port their software over.

Or do I buy windows pc in the future to be able to use Reaper?.

Last edited by Futur8me; 06-24-2020 at 02:01 AM.
Futur8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:46 AM   #2
Justin
Administrator

We already support aarch64 on linux, so porting to mac/ARM should be easy (assuming Apple doesn't do anything stupid!). We're probably going to wait until the hardware is available to end-users before porting it, but it won't be long after that I imagine.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:06 AM   #3
Futur8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
We already support aarch64 on linux, so porting to mac/ARM should be easy (assuming Apple doesn't do anything stupid!). We're probably going to wait until the hardware is available to end-users before porting it, but it won't be long after that I imagine.

Thank you very much for the reply, this makes me feel a lot better!, I much prefer using macOS.., it is very exciting to see these changes with apples own silicon cpu for Macs coming soon)).

Old 06-24-2020, 08:19 AM   #4
Ideosound

There is still support for intel based macs for a while apparently. They can't just abandon their entire existing user base. There are also new intel based macs still coming out.
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:38 AM   #5
Futur8me

Yes.., its going to be very interesting to see what Apple brings out towards the end of this year.., will it be iMac Pro that has only the new intel cpus?.., or Mac Pro..?, will Apple bring out a brand new ARM Mac mini?.., will Apples own ARM cpu be a A14Z or 16X or Y..??, haha.

Maybe all the iMacs product line will get a total new redesign and a choice of ARM???.

Fanless iMac or Mac mini with an ARM cpu that has 12 cores or 20 cores???.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
DarkStar

All of your plug-in developers will need to do the transition too, won't they?
Old 11-01-2020, 11:41 AM   #7
GrumpyGuitarist

Quote:
Hey Justin, a sort of parallel question to this is "will Reaper continue to be developed for Intel based Macs"? I'm looking at needing to change my iMac and to be honest Apple's current pricing is ludicrous for such small internal storage so I'm looking at last year's model that still ships with the Fusion drive and is much more 'affordable' (as Apple products go). I'm trying to get a sense of which software developers will still recognise they have a lot of users still on Intel and not abandon them. when really their computers could be brand new.
GrumpyGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 02:38 PM   #8
Meo-Ada Mespotine

I think Cockos will have an Intel-based Mac-version of Reaper for as long as it can be build and Reaper doesn't need special things only later versions of the operating-system can provide.

Keep in mind, that there's even a 32bit-version of Reaper for Mac, though 32bit is totally end of life.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 06:23 AM   #9
Justin
Administrator

I think it's safe to say we'll keep supporting macOS Intel 64-bit for the next 10 years if not longer.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:07 AM   #10
cyrano

Apple does seem to want to make it easy. It's in their own interest, I suppose.

RME has a beta USB driver for those lucky enough to already have one of the developer ARM machines. Seems to work well. Of course, firewire is really gone this time. Even a dongle won't allow it.

From what I hear, Rosetta is already fairly complete, working and reliable.

Of course, the omerta prevents much talk.

Apple's message clearly is: "Don't worry, be happy". :-)
Old 11-06-2020, 06:10 AM   #11
fetidus

Quote:
I think it's safe to say we'll keep supporting macOS Intel 64-bit for the next 10 years if not longer.
Good news, and thanks, Justin.
fetidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:51 AM   #12
tzzsmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futur8me View Post
if Apple succeeds with ARM platform, Microsoft will inevitably have to push Windows 10 for ARM forward too...
Old 07-05-2020, 12:09 PM   #13
cyrano

Windows for ARM has been around for a while.

It seems Apple's emulator on the dev ARM Mini's is already outperforming Win 10 native on Surface devices. At least, that could stir up things a bit.

Let's hope the new ARM laptops will have a decent keyboard
Old 07-21-2020, 02:39 PM   #14
maralatho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futur8me View Post
Would just like to know from Justin if Reaper will be slowly ported over to ARM when the new ARM Macs start to roll out at the end of this year.., I think Apple said its a 2 year gradual change to full ARM.

Apple are sending out Mac minis with ARM A12Z cpus to developers now to help port their software over.

I lived through the 68k-to-PowerPC transition. Apple ranted and raved about how superior the PowerPC was to everything else in the known universe, spent millions on TV commercials illustrating how Power Macintoshes "smoked" Intel, and of course I and all my Mac-using friends drank the Kool-Aid and bought Power Macs. A few years later Apple switched to Intel. That's how Apple rolls.
maralatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:48 PM   #15
Sibben

Quote:
Originally Posted by maralatho View Post
I lived through the 68k-to-PowerPC transition. Apple ranted and raved about how superior the PowerPC was to everything else in the known universe, spent millions on TV commercials illustrating how Power Macintoshes "smoked" Intel, and of course I and all my Mac-using friends drank the Kool-Aid and bought Power Macs. A few years later Apple switched to Intel. That's how Apple rolls.
PowerPC was much better when Apple switched. I think they used it for at least ten years. It was later overtaken by Intel so they switched. Now we are at a point where ARM makes good sense for Apple because of several reasons. So they’ll switch again.

It’s how they roll. They pick the tech solutions that fit their products and business goals the best. Pretty cheeky.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:31 AM   #16
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by maralatho View Post
The situation is different, this time. With PPC, Apple depended on IBM for development and manufacturing the chips. When IBM couldn't meet goals on the G6, Apple had to switch.

This time, it's an Apple processor. Development is entirely in-house and production can be handled by any chip fab. Near Total Control. It's not even an ARM anymore, if you look at Apple's license for it. It really is an Apple processor.

These will perform on at least the same level as top Intel CPU's, but entirely fan-less. And, of course, that will result in thinner machines

Maybe they will come with special gloves to avoid cutting your hands while using them...
Old 07-22-2020, 05:36 AM   #17
Sibben

It’s a very smart move indeed. It takes their vertical production model to a whole new level where they’ll control every aspect of hardware and software. It will allow them create an eco system that is even more integrated than it already is with devices sharing the same OS.

Cyrano, you mentioned the T2 security chip in another thread and how important that is to Apple. That got me thinking that maybe Apple is looking at the really long game here. Maybe that’s why they’re focusing so hard to brand themselves as the company that cares for privacy. Maybe the way Apple sees it, their competitors in the long run is not Microsoft or Google. It’s Chinese companies. They have have been rolling their own for many years when it comes to tech and they’re spending enormous sums on research and development. It’s just a matter of time before they gain enough momentum to steamroll the whole western tech industry. TikTok is just the beginning.

How can a company like Apple differentiate themselves and still stay relevant to consumers? What’s the one thing Chinese tech firms can’t touch them on, for obvious reasons? Security and privacy. As an American or European tech consumer in ten years you’ll have few reasons to buy a Google phone when Chinese companies sell better and cheaper phones with the latest technology. Maybe they’ll monitor you’re every private moment but we’re used to that from Google and Facebook.

But there would still be a pretty good reason to buy an Apple.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:24 AM   #18
cyrano

Bingo!

Apple, in the long run, isn't even interested in producing the hardware IF they can control their "channel". Having their own CPU/TPM/DRM is the key.

Selling services is their long-term goal, cause that's where the real easy money is. And that includes, of course, financial services. To be your bank, they need you to trust them.

Tim Cook is a grocer, after all.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:10 PM   #19
Sibben

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Bingo!

Apple, in the long run, isn't even interested in producing the hardware IF they can control their "channel". Having their own CPU/TPM/DRM is the key.

Selling services is their long-term goal, cause that's where the real easy money is. And that includes, of course, financial services. To be your bank, they need you to trust them.

Tim Cook is a grocer, after all.
And who do you trust with your life savings? Tim Cook, the grocer or Xi Jinping, the dictator.