Old 08-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Scir
Human being with feelings

Default Manual ReaTune based on Midi?

Sorry if this has already been covered. I tried searching but didn't find an answer.

Is it possible to use existing Midi information as the basis for manual ReaTune correction? Let's say I play keyboard to the vocal part of a song and record the resulting midi into a Reaper track. Then I sing and record the vocal part into a wav.

Can I use the midi version of the vocal part to seed the manual correction of my wav vocal performance in ReaTune? Almost like compression side chaining, because I don't want to hear the midi performance, I just want it to be used as an input to another process.

Thanks!
Scir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
Scir

Hmmmm.... Almost 50 views and zero replies. I'm assuming that the answer to my question is "No". I'm not big into AutoTune kind of things, so if anyone knows if there is another way to use a Midi keyboard performance to guide pitch correction on a vocal track, I'm up for suggestions!
Old 08-28-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
JonnyGinese

well i know you can notch out certain notes... but besides that i don't know of a way to tell it to tune to a midi track... that would be pretty awesome though.
JonnyGinese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

ReaTune has no MIDI input (only output). You can route a MIDI signal/input to a vocal channel with ReaVoice but that will probably not have the result you expect, it's a MIDI playable pitch shifter, so it won't correct out-of-tune notes to a specific key, it will only transpose that note with the same offset in up to 5 voices. You can "play" voices but they depend on the input pitch and to correct small deviations you'd have to use pitch wheel.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
Scir

Thanks for the replies!
Old 08-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
Fabian

You can use GSnap for what you want.
It's free, and some say it works fine.
Myself, I've never gotten it to work ok for me. I always use ReaTune in manual mode. Drawing in the notes is almost like playing the keys, when you get the hang of it.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:36 AM   #7
Scir

Default Thank You!

Fabian,
I just wanted to thank you for your reply back in August. I did end up trying GSnap and it works great for me. I record a real-time midi keyboard performance which mirrors the vocal track and then feed the resulting midi track into GSnap. I'd much rather play the notes than draw them into ReaTune's small screen.

I like that I can subsequently use Reaper's midi editor (in a BIG window, with all the features of the main midi editor) to make any changes to the midi "guide" track.

I think it would be great for ReaTune to integrate with Reaper's midi editor, then I wouldn't need to resort to GSnap. Based on the lack of response to this thread, it doesn't seem like a very popular idea, so I won't hold my breath!
Old 11-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
pac-man

MIDI input for ReaTune would be great!

Collect the info and post as a Feature Request?
pac-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:03 PM   #9
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scir View Post
I think it would be great for ReaTune to integrate with Reaper's midi editor, then I wouldn't need to resort to GSnap. Based on the lack of response to this thread, it doesn't seem like a very popular idea, so I won't hold my breath!
I agree. Will have my vote.

ReaTune has much more choices when it comes to the tuning algorithms. I have no idea which algo GSnap uses, but for me it messes up pretty bad. I'd love to have MIDI input to ReaTune, sure thing...
Old 12-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #10
CrashAlpha

Add my vote. Here I am looking at MIDI notes and manually drawing in the notes in ReaTune and asking myself... "isn't this OBVIOUS?"
CrashAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:08 AM   #11
wrave

Bump. I was really surprised that ReaTune didn't support MIDI input. A lot of other auto-tune tools work that way. Count my vote to have this feature.

GSnap: I've known about GSnap for a long time, but I've since switched to OS X, and GSnap is a windows-only VST.

Other solutions I found so far are...
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/auto...o-technologies ($399.99)
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/spec...-little-endian ($129.00)
...pricey.

So far Reaper has proven itself as a top-notch tool for pitch-shifting. It just needs this one extra little thing.
wrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #12
Tim Bravo

Default +1 vote

I concur. I found this thread by trying to figure out how to retune a vocal track using MIDI input. I like Reatune and wish it had that capability. Has anyone started that thread/request?
Tim Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #13
chriscomfort

Would a combination of ReaTune and ReaVoice work? Set ReaTune to automatic pitch correction with either chromatic or a predetermined key selected, and then use ReaVoice set to elastique 2.1 SOLOIST, Monophonic and send MIDI notes to that instead? Just a thought.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:41 PM   #14
ambient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bravo View Post
I concur. I found this thread by trying to figure out how to retune a vocal track using MIDI input. I like Reatune and wish it had that capability. Has anyone started that thread/request?
Me too. I'd much rather tap in some notes on a keyboard than faff around with the mouse, even if u do need to touch up the timing manually after the fact.
ambient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:52 PM   #15
zediiiii

Default Can be done

I don't understand why this isn't posted ANYWHERE. Of course you can drive reatune with midi, you just need to modify the pitch with reavoice (which accepts midi input). There are other methods as well, but this one is the easiest.

Make track 1 with some audio in it (or that is recording audio if it's live). Make track 2 for midi pitch shifting. Add reavoice to track 2. This plugin uses the same pitch shifting algorithms as reatune, but is relative tuning (so your audible note will be offset from the "center" note). Now make a PRE-FADER send from track 1 to track 2. Input some midi on track two and you're in business.

There is actually a better way to do this with absolute pitch, but I haven't done it in several years. I'll post when I dig the old project file out.
zediiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #16
tXShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zediiiii View Post
Make track 1 with some audio in it (or that is recording audio if it's live). Make track 2 for midi pitch shifting. Add reavoice to track 2. ... Now make a PRE-FADER send from track 1 to track 2.
(scratches head) "Huh?"
tXShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:54 PM   #17
Winnifred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scir View Post
Fabian,
I just wanted to thank you for your reply back in August. I did end up trying GSnap and it works great for me. I record a real-time midi keyboard performance which mirrors the vocal track and then feed the resulting midi track into GSnap. I'd much rather play the notes than draw them into ReaTune's small screen.

I like that I can subsequently use Reaper's midi editor (in a BIG window, with all the features of the main midi editor) to make any changes to the midi "guide" track.

I would definitely love this also, I've been searching to see if it is available also, but I guess not . So this definitely have my vote.
Winnifred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:55 PM   #18
mschnell

I doubt that such very special sound effect should be provided by Reaper itself. To create such functionality in a decent way would need a huge effort of the developers.

I'm not sure, but I suppose Melodyne can do such stuff, and we soon will have full Melodyne integration via ARA in Reaper.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #19
zediiiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by zediiiii View Post
I don't understand why this isn't posted ANYWHERE. Of course you can drive reatune with midi, you just need to modify the pitch with reavoice (which accepts midi input). There are other methods as well, but this one is the easiest.

Make track 1 with some audio in it (or that is recording audio if it's live). Make track 2 for midi pitch shifting. Add reavoice to track 2. This plugin uses the same pitch shifting algorithms as reatune, but is relative tuning (so your audible note will be offset from the "center" note). Now make a PRE-FADER send from track 1 to track 2. Input some midi on track two and you're in business.

There is actually a better way to do this with absolute pitch, but I haven't done it in several years. I'll post when I dig the old project file out.
Turns out the "better way" was using Antares Auto-tune. That's a bummer. TL;DR, I didn't answer the right question. But if you are interested in the question I did answer, read on.

If all you want is pitch shifting via midi, then reatune is your plugin. I believe OP wanted absolute tuning, not relative. The issue is that reatune works relative to whatever note it receives; ie, it plays a note offset from the note it receives. The midi you enter determines the offset based on your center note. For example, you set the "Center Note" in reavoice to C4, you sing an A4, and enter midi E4. That's an offset of a major third (4 half steps), so reavoice will return a note 4 half steps higher: C#4.

EDIT - Apparently it is possible to do, just really nasty. Take a look at this guy's screenshot https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....t=reatune+midi

Last edited by zediiiii; 12-21-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:50 PM   #20
zediiiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I doubt that such very special sound effect should be provided by Reaper itself. To create such functionality in a decent way would need a huge effort of the developers.

I'm not sure, but I suppose Melodyne can do such stuff, and we soon will have full Melodyne integration via ARA in Reaper.

-Michael
Melodyne 4 IS fantastic software and is getting to the point where it is hard to detect when used artfully. It does accept midi input (see this example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3QpEqNKM0U). I don't know if the cheap version does though.

This wouldn't actually be hard to implement in reaper, depending on how the manual correction is programmed. If they implemented automation of the manual correction section limited to midi event pitches (including pitch bend) we'd be in major business. Does anyone know if this has already been considered?

I could even write a script to send successive notes to separate instances and make polyphonic outputs.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:19 PM   #21
zediiiii

Default Vote for this feature

Vote for this feature on this feature request post:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=201028
Old 12-09-2018, 07:40 PM   #22
pandabot

Waves Tune Real-Time can do this, it's easy to set up and works really well https://www.waves.com/plugins/waves-tune-real-time

However I would really like to see ReaTune implement this feature, so I can just use it for everything
pandabot is offline   Reply With Quote