Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-13-2020, 01:37 AM   #41
SoftwareAuidoGuy
Human being with feelings

Very interesting, thanks for all the great input!

Here is a good youtube video on how to use a computer audio interface in Reaper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTZsMG2rqMc

I hope some of you may help this!
SoftwareAuidoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:08 PM   #42
Daria91

You may need a computer microphone for communicating with friends or voice chat partners. As well as for streaming, vlogging or sound recording. In the first case is enough built-in headphones or a separate inexpensive device. The rest requires a more advanced model.

This list contains the best microphones for computer recordings. They have all the necessary parameters for high-quality sound recording and other purposes: https://www.microphonetopgear.com/mi...er-recordings/
Daria91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:37 PM   #43
Josef von Stuka

Default guitar

I find some of these relaxing

https://www.jazzguitar.be/blog/joe-pass-chords/
Josef von Stuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:12 AM   #44
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria91 View Post
You may need a computer microphone for communicating with friends or voice chat partners. As well as for streaming, vlogging or sound recording. In the first case is enough built-in headphones or a separate inexpensive device. The rest requires a more advanced model.

This list contains the best microphones for computer recordings. They have all the necessary parameters for high-quality sound recording and other purposes: https://www.microphonetopgear.com/mi...er-recordings/

Worth clarifying that these microphones are NOT regarded as high quality or "top" for use when recording instruments and vocals in multitrack Audio/MIDI recordings.

Stress that these are OK for things like basic blogs, spoken word & that`s about it.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:22 PM   #45
Michael200

Default Great Thread

Hi, this is an awesome thread and very helpful. I have read through the replies and think it is useful, esspecially for beginners. I have an article for you which explains the first steps to learn guitar. Unfortunately the article is in german but I can highly recommend deepl for translation. Here is the article: https://www.hobbylux.de/gitarre-lernen/. Greetings
Michael200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:33 AM   #46
swetajoshi

Default Need Suggestions

Hello all, i want to record my Mac book air screen, can any one suggest me the good software that will record my Laptop screen with the audio.
swetajoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:04 AM   #47
soundstage

Quote:
Originally Posted by swetajoshi View Post
Hello all, i want to record my Mac book air screen, can any one suggest me the good software that will record my Laptop screen with the audio.
If you want to start with an easy beginners tool I recommend QuickTime Player since it is really intuitive.
soundstage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:13 AM   #48
soundstage

Quote:
Originally Posted by swetajoshi View Post
Alternatively, you can literally just use SHIFT + Command + 5 to record your screen. When you look under "settings" you can also add audio recording to the video.
soundstage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:35 AM   #49
bobbryce

Default Link gone wrong

Somebody needs to check this link please.
As a Newbie, this is not going to help at all (IMHO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowhaus View Post
I'm starting a thread for links to outside resources for the complete newbie. We've encountered a few true beginners to the craft lately, and it seems apparent that some folks that end up here need to start at Square One. This is the place to point them there.

We've all been there before - but sometimes, as we get further down the road, we forget how complicated it seems from the outside. Let's help the new people to take advantage of the vast resources of the WWW! Post your favorite tutorials here!

To get things started: Here is a link to a getting-started tutorial that starts with general instructions, then goes on to list specific ones with Audacity, Krystal, and (wha?!?) Reaper.
bobbryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 10:08 AM   #50
jaywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbryce View Post
Somebody needs to check this link please.
As a Newbie, this is not going to help at all (IMHO)
That link and a few others were posted almost 13 years ago so yes, they need to be updated.
Also, as a guitarist, jazz chords and guitar tutorials are nice but, they are remotely relevant to the topic of this thread and there is a plethora of sites already dedicated to those topics.
jaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 11:56 AM   #51
jaywalker

Default updated links

Some websites have simply changed their formats so once on their site you will need to "search" for the topic.

COPY and PASTE links

post #1 link to topic not found, guitar playing instruction only. (membership required?)

post #3 http://www.projectstudiohandbook.com/

post #10 http://www.guitarists.net/ do a seach for "home recording", beginner topics near top of list.

post #11 https://www.gearslutz.com/ search same as above

post #27 https://www.thesycon.de/eng/home.shtml home...brief search couldn't see latency test

post #34 https://www.meldaproduction.com/ search tutorials

post #35 https://samplecraze.com/ search tutorials

That is all for now...I just burned some time avoiding a project due by midnight.
JT

HTH

Last edited by jaywalker; 12-15-2020 at 12:20 PM.
jaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:59 AM   #52
Jados

How many useful links. I am just starting to learn this craft and am grateful that there are many helpful resources here.

Last edited by Jados; 01-25-2021 at 09:30 AM.
Jados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:11 AM   #53
MG00000

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowhaus View Post
To get things started: Here is a link to a getting-started tutorial that starts with general instructions, then goes on to list specific ones with Audacity, Krystal, and (wha?!?) Reaper.
This link goes to 'Kirk's Fingerstyle Lessons' ?! Genuine error or unsubtle promotion technique?
MG00000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:26 AM   #54
MG00000

Default V2?

Many of the links given on this forum are no longer in service, outdated or nothing to so with the subject in the title, which is hardly surprising given the age of the posts.
It may be an idea to start again?
MG00000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 07:24 AM   #55
doncobb

Default New 64 bit (failing) install, just need to edit hiss out of Audio files.

Reaper was recommended to me to remove an ungodly hiss from my lead vocal track. I dl'd the 64 bit version, installed it, but Cakewalk by Bandlab only shows me access to the 32 bit version, which won't run on my 64 bit PC. Is there a fix before I abandon Reaper and use Audition? Thanks.
doncobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:09 AM   #56
bolgwrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncobb View Post
Reaper was recommended to me to remove an ungodly hiss from my lead vocal track. I dl'd the 64 bit version, installed it, but Cakewalk by Bandlab only shows me access to the 32 bit version, which won't run on my 64 bit PC. Is there a fix before I abandon Reaper and use Audition? Thanks.
Reaper won't remove hiss on a bad recording any better than another DAW, and vice versa. Not sure what you're trying to do after that. Does Reaper not run?
Old 03-16-2022, 08:13 AM   #57
DVDdoug

Quote:
I dl'd the 64 bit version, installed it, but Cakewalk by Bandlab only shows me access to the 32 bit version, which won't run on my 64 bit PC.
REAPER & Cakewalk are both DAWs. You don't need Cakewalk to run REAPER.

Quote:
Is there a fix before I abandon Reaper and use Audition?
I believe all of these noise reduction plug-ins/effects use the same basic principles so I don't know if one is better than the other. ...Maybe try Audacity.

And of course, there are 3rd-party VST plug-ins.

Quote:
an ungodly hiss from my lead vocal track
Noise reduction works best when you have a constant low-level background noise. If the noise is bad, "The cure can be worse than the disease." It's just something you have to experiment with, and of course it's best if you can avoid/prevent noise in the 1st place.

If you're making a "full mix" with multiple instruments that will help to hide the noise. Solo vocals or solo acoustic instruments are the worst (the most difficult) for noise.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:42 AM   #58
doncobb

Default Thanks…

I begin the song aCapella so the hiss really needs to go away. I saw a demo of Reaper removing hiss like mine and it’s exact what I need. I didn’t realize Reaper was a DAW. I’ll try running it by itself. Thanks.

Last edited by doncobb; 03-16-2022 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Misspelling
doncobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 06:01 AM   #59
Megui107

Default Grabacion

soy nuevo en esto,gracias por los links son de mucha ayuda
Megui107 is offline   Reply With Quote