Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-08-2021, 06:58 AM   #1
Skrzypiec
Human being with feelings

Default Ambience plugin dampens the main tracks

Hello, I got some instruments recorded on several tracks. I got a reverb plugin on another track (ambience by smartelectronix), set to 0% dry, 100% wet as normally, and I feed it with different signal levels from instrument tracks.

But I noticed when I bypass the ambience plugin, the root tracks get louder (?!??!!), so it sounds like if using the reverb actually dampened them? Please help, I'm clueless, I cannot see how this signal flow can be destructive?
Skrzypiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:20 PM   #2
Skrzypiec

Nonono, I mean I send a signal from track 1 to reverb on track 2, so it should keep the original signal intact and only alter the output of track 2 - but it doesn't: when I turn on the ambience, the ORIGINAL signal on track 1 gets quieter.

What I did is the basics: dragged from "route" button on track 1 and dropped to the "route" button on track 2. It should create a signal copy. A send, not a bus. Or were I totally misunderstanding the tutorials...
Old 06-08-2021, 01:14 PM   #3
domzy

i think the key here is if the reverb is bypassed or muted on track 2.

as stated, if bypassed then the overall dry signal is going to be louder
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 04:40 PM   #4
Skrzypiec

OK, clarifying: actually -inf dry, and 0.0 wet, but this is what I guess to be "zero dry" and "100% wet" (tell me if I'm wrong):

When I bypass the reverb plugin, overall volume gets louder. When I mute the reverb plugin, the overall volume stays the same. You said if I bypass the reverb, "no dry" stops to apply. But if I have zero dry... and I bypass zero dry... isn't it still zero dry? Therefore, no change in dry? This is where I'm lost...

wait..
wait..

OMG I think for some reason I assumed bypassing the plugin would mute the entire send... or something like that. It seems I had the biggest brain derp of this year, I couldn't add 1 to 1... it seems there's no problem indeed. Thank you guys