Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 11-25-2020, 11:08 AM   #1
silenmedia
Human being with feelings

Default Recording Different MIDI Channels to Tracks

Hello, I am getting deeper with MPE (MIDI Polyphonic Expression) and all of the tutorials talk about doing it on the same track, using MIDI filters and everything like that.

Personally, I would prefer to do the different channels on separate tracks, so I'm trying to work out how to set up routing to accomplish this.

Right now, I am using the js plugin Dynamic poly/mono MIDI router to split up the signal into MIDI Channels 1,2,3,4. To test it, I have a send from that channel to a new one with an instrument. The send is MIDI 2 -> 2. (I'm attaching a screenshot)
The receive track is successfully getting the information, as I can hear it if I make a Kontakt instrument that only listens to MIDI 2.

But no matter what settings I try, I can't record the Output. I would like for this track to only have the MIDI channel 2 information. But I've tried every combination that I can think of Record Output MIDI, record input and so on.

I can hear the MIDI coming into the track, but I can't record the MIDI. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT - Nevermind, I figured it out. Kontakt was stopping the MIDI from going into the track. I guess 'Record Output' happens after the fader, rather than pre-fader, which is what I thought.

EDIT AGAIN - So more tests have shown that because of the way MIDI is routed, I can't have a SEND back to the parent track while also RECEIVING MIDI data, also similarly, I can't make a folder because of Parent Send/Receive issues.
I really hope that REAPER spends a little more time dealing with these MPE issues, because this is not really working great at the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: png Image 070.png (19.7 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by silenmedia; 11-25-2020 at 11:45 AM. Reason: I figured it out.
silenmedia is offline   Reply With Quote