Old 11-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #41
Edus Rhonius
Human being with feelings

On REAPER 4.10 Melodyne Editor as VST does not work for me anyone. It transfers when I push the transfer button after pressing play, however when I hit stop the transfer either does nothing (looks like normal wave) or the process wheel comes up and hangs. Either way dont get the note separation anymore and can do no edits what so ever on the chunk that's in the ME window. On my laptop running REAPER 3.x ME works perfectly, transfers and updates the file leaving the blobs. Before I upgraded to R4 ME worked fine on my main system. Wonder what happened?

Also works on my 4 year old copy of Nuendo 3.(same system as R4).

Last edited by Edus Rhonius; 11-12-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Edus Rhonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #42
Marah Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyBwah View Post

On the bright side, it's just another reason to upgrade your computer! And it sounds like you've been wanting to for some time.
Just the kind of encouragement I needed. Thanks.... I think. Def thanks for the sympathy re: MD.
Marah Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:04 PM   #43
Marah Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyUK View Post

The point is, by all means convince yourself a major DAW upgrade is necessary, and there are indeed lots of benefits of doing this. But don't pin your hopes on Melodyne suddenly becoming trouble-free.
yeah.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #44
chrisharbin

I'll bump this back up since version 2 is out now.

Any changes or is MD still saying no reaper support?
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #45
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
I'll bump this back up since version 2 is out now.

Any changes or is MD still saying no reaper support?
I downloaded it today and visited Celemony site: nothing, they do not support REAPER yet The first time I inserted the plug-in in REAPER, just to register it, I got the infamous "messed up GUI" with blank parts, sigh.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #46
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
I downloaded it today and visited Celemony site: nothing, they do not support REAPER yet The first time I inserted the plug-in in REAPER, just to register it, I got the infamous "messed up GUI" with blank parts, sigh.
haha, we're talking on two forums.

That's all I needed to hear, thank you
Old 12-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #47
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
haha, we're talking on two forums.

That's all I needed to hear, thank you
LOL so you are hib.... the internet is a small town
Old 12-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #48
chrisharbin

Quote:
LOL so you are hib.... the internet is a small town
Who? Why, that guy is a (censored)

Old 12-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #49
Mercado_Negro

Hey chris, check the latest pre-release... let's see how it goes
Old 12-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #50
chrisharbin

Quote:
Hey chris, check the latest pre-release... let's see how it goes
Not sure I follow, pre release of melodyne?
Old 12-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #51
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Not sure I follow, pre release of melodyne?
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=92815
Old 12-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #52
chrisharbin

I see now
Old 12-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #53
Marah Mag

I got the email this morning. Read it briefly. Unless I missed a lime limit on the upgrade price I think i'll sit this one out for now.

I like md but my computer can barely handle it now. I know I might still have probs with a new computer, but this one is operating right on the edge as it is, and that can't be making md happy.

Looking forward to hearing you alls experiences w the upgrade. I hope they're good.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #54
chrisharbin

Hmmmmmmm. They have editor at GC for 299, but it's 50 bucks off right now AND according to this page, that would give me version 2.

http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=upgrades&L=2

I wonder if that price that maybe it's worth pulling the trigger?
Old 12-12-2011, 11:25 PM   #55
chrisharbin

So If I haven't already done so, thanks to all the help I've gotten here.

In fact, I decided to get it. I couldn't resist 249 for the boxed version and the free update to version 2. It seems to work remarkably well but I'm sure I'll run into something that doesn't work (eyeroll)

Already went through a bunch of groove 3 vids, that is my focus now.

Thanks again!
Old 12-21-2011, 11:39 PM   #56
chrisharbin

Hey, It's time to play "know your melodyne newb" starring CHRIS.....HARBIN!

DOH, DOH, DOH!!!!!!!!

If you want polyphony blobs, it doesn't hurt to use the algorithm POLYPHONY

IDIOT! The passage was kinda arpeggiated so it wasn't quite thinking it had to use the polyphony algo........turns out it was smarter than me DOH!

Anyways, now that THAT is taken care of it's really been working fine.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #57
Fex

It should detect polyphony automatically, though I've had bitter arguments with it over the issue. For some applications, it's better to work with the old, pre DNA plugin, which at least detects melody, than with the newer editor, which sometimes stubbornly insists that polyphonic material is merely percussive.

You'll have probably discovered by now that it's okay with arps and the like, but not really much use with guitar chords. It introduces artifacts.

One thing I like about it is that when it turns your music to mush, at least it's (usually) immediately obvious.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #58
Marah Mag

It's hard to imagine the that using melodyne under ARA could be any more simple or elegant than dropping an instance of ReaTune onto a take, including individual takes w/in multitake items. I'm using reatune for spot tuning way more matter of factly than I can do with Melodyne (and that's after discounting for my issues I've been having with md due i believe to me pushing my daw to the edge.)

Recent reatune updates made a really useful plugin even more so. As for sound quality, if reatune uses the same methods as the rest of Reaper's pitch stuff, then I figure it makes that question somewhat secondary.

Melodyne us a more full blown plugin, as is Autotune, than ReaTune and you can get way more OCD w them.

I'm interested to see how ARA plays out. Very glad to see ReaTune getting some love. (In ReTune is it possible to clear out all manual corrections at once? The clear button clears the tracking, but not the corrections.)
Old 01-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #59
chrisharbin

@OCD

lol!
Old 01-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #60
kirk

I too was forced to update to Editor. I can't get it to even appear in the vst folder in Reaper. Is there some trick to moving dll files around ,or some special way to install it to get it to appear in Reaper ? Please help. I am so frustrated with this thing. All kind of activation problems and then this. I just upgraded my computer to a sweetwater creation station full leaded top of the line all the lastest shit. So it ain't the computer. I can deal with a few glitches but jeez at the hoops you have to go through to even get it installed.
kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #61
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
I too was forced to update to Editor. I can't get it to even appear in the vst folder in Reaper. Is there some trick to moving dll files around ,or some special way to install it to get it to appear in Reaper ? Please help. I am so frustrated with this thing. All kind of activation problems and then this. I just upgraded my computer to a sweetwater creation station full leaded top of the line all the lastest shit. So it ain't the computer. I can deal with a few glitches but jeez at the hoops you have to go through to even get it installed.
Hmmmmmm. I don't know where to start. First, is this x64 or 32 bit?
Old 01-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #62
kirk

64 bit Win 7
I'm just wondering if I should install it to the Reaper plugin folder It defaults differently. It defaults to programs vst plugins. Also there are two different vst types. A vst2 or something like that. I scared to unistall it again too because I only have one activation left.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #63
kirk

Where is your's installed? Reaper plugin folder? I can't find any kind of dll file? I added paths in the preferences,rescanned etc but still doesn't pick it up. I have been through plugin hell the past few weeks because lightning got my other computer and thus I got this new one.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #64
chrisharbin

Sorry I didn't reply earlier.

Mine is installed in a C/program files(not the x86 one)/vstplugins. I am totally x64
Old 01-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #65
Fex

Quote:
Where is your's installed? Reaper plugin folder? I can't find any kind of dll file? I added paths in the preferences,rescanned etc but still doesn't pick it up.
I was going to suggest copying and pasting the dll to your preferred VST folder, and if that failed, pointing Reaper at MD's VST folder (probably Program files\Steinburg]Vstplugins), but if you've already pointed Reaper at it, and that didn't work, I suspect that something else is amiss....
Quote:
A vst2 or something like that.
VST 3, perhaps? Reaper doesn't support it. Try to install a version Reaper does support, to the folder where you want it.
Quote:
I have been through plugin hell the past few weeks because lightning got my other computer and thus I got this new one.
And you also got a surge protector, I hope?

My sympathies. I never lost a computer to lightning, but Bangkok weather ate three dial-up modems before I wised up....
Old 01-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #66
chrisharbin

Quote:
Where is your's installed? Reaper plugin folder? I can't find any kind of dll file? I added paths in the preferences,rescanned etc but still doesn't pick it up. I have been through plugin hell the past few weeks because lightning got my other computer and thus I got this new one.
You shouldn't have to reinstall, but reaper should be able to pick out where the .dll is. It could be many places. It's possible that it didn't install the x64 version OR that it could even be in the x86 program file folder.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #67
Marah Mag

FWIW, I've nver had any trouble getting the Melodyne installer to put the Editor plugin dll in a subfolder under my specified VST location. That's with 32 bit windows.

But the MD installer is a somewhat complex (ie, overly clever) piece of work called 'singletrack' that is used for all variations of MD, and is apparently complied specifically for each registered user. I wouldn't be surprised if they've changed it again for the most recent releases.

Hope you get it sorted.

PS do they really limit the number of activations you've got? On the registered version. Hmmm... that's not too friendly, is it?
Old 01-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #68
Marah Mag

I've finally watched the videos Celemony made for the new version. Some very nice stuff in there... including new shortcut keys.

Some questions for Editor plugin users:

Do the new undo/redo shortcuts work in Reaper as expected? (

Are there any pass through issues between the plugin and Reaper (in either direction) when undoing/redoing?

When editing in the plugin, does Reaper see that changes have been made to the *project*, as per its 'modified' notification in the title bar?

Any other new behaviors -- good or bad -- that are especially noteworthy?

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #69
kirk

They read your computer's id number. Your only alowwed 2, then you have to deactivate the old computer and then they reread your new computer's ID.I had to get support to deactivate the old computer for me. What a nightmare to figure out. It wouldn't take my old serial number etc etc etc. Now that I know everything has to be installed into the Reaper plugin folder I will at least know what to do. Thanks
Old 01-23-2012, 02:16 AM   #70
Casiquire

I know it's a bit late in this thread for my first post, but for what it's worth I've been using Melodyne in Reaper on a fairly lower-end laptop (4 gigs of ram, 32-bit Vista) for a while now and haven't had any crashes. I've noticed how much better performance is on shorter passages, let's say 15 seconds, so I often bounce tracks just to conserve resources and I pick and choose which parts really even need pitch correction. There have not really been any other issues with it for me.

Judging by my ears, I definitely like the sound of Melodyne way more than the sound of Autotune, so if it's a toss-up between the two, Melodyne sounds incredibly natural where Autotune is more of an effect than a behind-the-scenes pitch correction tool.

I've had very little luck getting DNA to work well, btw. Have others had good results with it? I'm glad I tried the demo rather than buying it because I was very unimpressed. It's impossible to correctly identify which notes are notes and which notes are harmonics or which notes belong to one instrument as opposed to the next. You really have to be editing one single acoustic guitar track with very little polyphony, or a similar piano track. No piano-and-voice or guitar-and-strings, or anything remotely multitimbral.
Casiquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #71
Marah Mag

Just discovered something interesting with the melodyne plugin.

Lately, instead of putting md directly on the track to be tuned, I put it on a track of its own, where it receives a send from the track to be tuned. This lets me still have easy playback access to the full source track, without having to bypass md. When actually working in md, I mute the source track, and the md track gets routed to the same parent folder as the source, so I can hear md's output through the same fx chain.

On a whim just now, after transferring the source track to md, I played back both tracks and reversed the phase on one of them. As expected (though still perhaps a bit surprising), they totally nulled each other.

Then, with the phase still reversed, I tuned one of the blobs in md.

I expected that the the tracks would still null, except for the area where I altered the note.

But what happened was, the area to the left of the altered note remained null, but as soon as playback hit the edit, the nulling ended -- as expected -- BUT the null did not resume after playback passed the edit, and instead both tracks were audible but with a very slight out of phase tonality... a couple of ms at most.... nowhere near a doubling effect, or even a flange/chorus, as the offset appears to be constant.

But, if I then start playback to the right of the edited note, the tracks again null, until playback hits another edit point. That pattern continued as I made additional small edits. That was definitely not expected.

Not sure what this indicates about how md works... and I'm not seeing it as a problem.... but it does seem kind curious.

(yes this is how i spend my sunday evenings. fml.)
Old 01-30-2012, 01:01 AM   #72
Casiquire

Huh, Marah Mag, that's interesting! I know that MD can be used to change timing, is it possible that pitch edits shift the timing just enough to realign phasing? Odd.
Casiquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:04 AM   #73
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marah Mag View Post
Lately, instead of putting md directly on the track to be tuned, I put it on a track of its own, where it receives a send from the track to be tuned.
Forehead slapping "how did I not think of that" moment.... Dammit, I'm forever telling people to do this with every other effect....
Quote:
I'm not seeing it as a problem.... but it does seem kind curious.
Yes, that's incredibly interesting. I must conduct strange and slightly sinister experiments later, with Melodyne, petri dishes, and small woodland creatures.
Quote:
fml.
Sorry, I can't help you there. Fix your own lighthouse.

I'm increasingly curious about your music. Where can I steal it?
Old 01-30-2012, 10:02 PM   #74
DeyBwah

Quote:

Lately, instead of putting md directly on the track to be tuned, I put it on a track of its own, where it receives a send from the track to be tuned. This lets me still have easy playback access to the full source track, without having to bypass md. When actually working in md, I mute the source track, and the md track gets routed to the same parent folder as the source, so I can hear md's output through the same fx chain.
Thanks for sharing your workflow. I never thought of using Melodyne this way for some reason... although I do this with a lot of other FX tracks. I'll have to adopt this methodology soon, although the quirky behavior does make me a bit hesitant.

Thanks Marah Mag.
HDSPe | D-Box | MP500-NV | Essence | Obsidian | SM57 | Beta52 | Equi=Tech | CMS40 | HS80 w/HS10W http://soundcloud.com/deybwah | http://www.facebook.com/pages/DeyBwah/208627672487538 | http://twitter.com/#!/DeyBwah
DeyBwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:51 AM   #75
ivansc

So can you all explain to me again why I should ditch my Autotune EGO or whatever it is called which works perfectly in Reaper and buy Melodyne which is buggy as all get-out but has some cool features that aren't supported for Reaper because Melodyne's devs don't think reaper is worth supporting?
ivansc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:55 AM   #76
henge

Quote:

On a whim just now, after transferring the source track to md, I played back both tracks and reversed the phase on one of them. As expected (though still perhaps a bit surprising), they totally nulled each other.

Then, with the phase still reversed, I tuned one of the blobs in md.

I expected that the the tracks would still null, except for the area where I altered the note.

But what happened was, the area to the left of the altered note remained null, but as soon as playback hit the edit, the nulling ended -- as expected -- BUT the null did not resume after playback passed the edit, and instead both tracks were audible but with a very slight out of phase tonality... a couple of ms at most.... nowhere near a doubling effect, or even a flange/chorus, as the offset appears to be constant.

But, if I then start playback to the right of the edited note, the tracks again null, until playback hits another edit point. That pattern continued as I made additional small edits. That was definitely not expected.

Not sure what this indicates about how md works... and I'm not seeing it as a problem.... but it does seem kind curious.

This workflow is great for tuning ganged backup vox. Lets say you have 6 vox to tune up, all singing the same thing.Put them on a track set to fipm and feeding your md track. Mute all but the first one, load into md, tune and then record the pass onto the md track( also set to fipm). Repeat and rinse and your hair will be squeaky clean and in tune!
Old 01-31-2012, 08:38 AM   #77
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
So can you all explain to me again why I should ditch my Autotune EGO or whatever it is called which works perfectly in Reaper and buy Melodyne which is buggy as all get-out but has some cool features that aren't supported for Reaper because Melodyne's devs don't think reaper is worth supporting?
Certainly. It's because Autotune sounds like shit. HTH.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #78
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
Certainly. It's because Autotune sounds like shit. HTH.
(grin) tosser!
ivansc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:31 AM   #79
Fex

'Strue, but.

Melodyne has been behaving reasonably well for me lately. Only the one crash while working on my last project. And those cool features are pretty cool.

I was, until recently, entirely ignorant of Reaper's pitch correction potential (though I'd still prefer to use MD). Is there another way to quickly quantize Audio? I consider that to be a fairly essential function at this point.

As for supporting Reaper, Melodyne plugins do a pretty good job of conforming to the VST protocol, given that they're pushing the boundaries of what's possible. If both Celemony and DAW devs are on the same page re VST, support for specific DAWS shouldn't be relevant. I know it is, but it shouldn't be.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:47 AM   #80
planetnine

Quantise to grid or to groove?

"Q" from MIDI Editor quantises, and there's a SWS extension to quantise to grid...

>
planetnine is offline   Reply With Quote