Old 06-07-2018, 05:46 AM   #2481
ivansc
Human being with feelings

I have recently started tgreating reaper as a very basic tape recorder again.

Amazing how quickly a workable demo can be done that way.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:08 AM   #2482
RDBOIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post

Yeah. Sometimes I miss the days of my old Fostex 4 track. I'd sit on my bed and pump out song after song in no time.

Sure the songs sounded like ass, but the expectations were realistic (unlike those I currently have). Funny thing ---> All my friends didn't care one bit about the sound quality, it made everyone dream.

Also, I find people are very forgiving and capable of 'filling in the gaps' if the song is good. This Fostex was friendly to the 'mood' and a great tool.

RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:31 AM   #2483
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
Yeah. Sometimes I miss the days of my old Fostex 4 track. I'd sit on my bed and pump out song after song in no time.
I have the more "modern" version of that, the MR-8. It's fantastic. Runs off of CF cards, which are hard to find, but fortunately every locomotive on the rails uses CF cards, so I can liberate them when I need to.

jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:47 AM   #2484
BenK-msx

Indeed to the above: Tried to have that tape style approach with last recordings, the buzzword being 'performance capture'

Boiled down to setting up for simultaneous guitar and voice miking then doing take after take after take until I had the best take of whole song. Painful as not my comfort zone but got there.
Can splice n dice similar takes if need be but essentially the core is a decent performance, then can use all the toys to add tinsel and decorations to that as required.

There is a certain feeling of freedom from being released from the prison of the 'grid'

Seems so obvious and was how it was done early days of recording but easy to get off track these days and try and construct your way to perfection piecemeal, when capturing something interesting is the key.

Tempted to take it further and replicate old setups/mixing, e.g couple of ribbon mics only and use only the effects available at tne time etc. Just as a starting point, nothing super strict, as piece may end up screaming for a granular synth solo...

Last edited by BenK-msx; 06-07-2018 at 09:15 AM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:52 AM   #2485
morgon

Quote:

I'm also doing that.

Sometimes I resolve syncing issues [performance errors due to a lack of rehearsal, or something ] down the track by simply recording a vocal track singing the drums and/or bass timing and align MIDI notes to that; it's a reasonably fast, very accurate method which reflects actual performance and often saves on needing to re record a bunch of insts, esp if using vsti's.

I'll post the following for anyone who might find it useful, it's become a major feature of me workflow, dunno if other DAWs have this feature but it works great in Reaper.

Quote:
For anyone who wants to use this method, -open e.g the bass MIDI trk in the MIDI editor [Piano roll] then click the little exclamation mark icon in the extreme bottom left corner of the screen, unattach the window from the docker so it floats.

Set "Opacity" to 75% [which is also on the dropdown menu of the exlamation mark icon] then right click the area above the Piano Roll, choose "View", then "Piano Roll Timebase" and then "Project synced".

Now it's possible to drag the floating MIDI editor to the audio [wave] track you recorded and you can see it underneath the MIDI editor which remains in sync with all other tracks regardless of resizing windows or other adjustments.
Note: As usual, if there's pitchbend info attached to MIDI notes then usually you need to make sure that moves with the notes.

Someone might weigh in again with how that can be set as default or accomplished in the same edit as I know it's possible but I forget so I've been doing that with separate edits.

Last edited by morgon; 06-07-2018 at 09:19 AM.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:40 PM   #2486
fred garvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringing phone View Post

So anyway...in the first 45 seconds or so of this song I mixed...I believe I am actually getting this effect. Can anyone hear it?
Ummmmmm... yes and no? I don't hear the ringing phone per se, I do think you've maybe got some artifacting or just tracks competing up in that range. Tell me more about the instrumentation? I'm hearing an acoustic guitar with lots of attack, pick/string noise, and a shaker of some kind, sounds almost like a tambourine depending on what I'm listening on, kinda stepping on each other. I think I'd try to decide which one I most need in that range and lowpass the other out of it.

Good luck! Like the track, kinda Floyd-ish to me.

2nd thought: OK so it is a tambourine, yah? I let your channel run and I hear it on some of the other tracks. I think that's your problem, I'd just lose it, I don't think it really adds anything to the track and gives me almost instant ear fatigue. Lol. Sorry, excuse my opinionating. If you really love the tambo maybe a less busy part? Now if there's no tambourine on those tracks we both have a real problem...

Last edited by fred garvin; 06-08-2018 at 12:04 AM.
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:01 AM   #2487
ringing phone

From memory it's mainly a slightly aggressive hihat that I need to lower, along with one of those rattle looking things with the chain link stuff all around it that you sort of manipulate by hand to make a noise. Dunno what they're called.

The good news is that you can't hear the ringing phone.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:48 PM   #2488
fred garvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred garvin View Post
...a shaker of some kind...
Oh ok, got it in one lol. Yah what is that? Uncle Intertubes says... Cabasa!

Used to have one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu4_uwQWA-g

...for years until I knew what it was called lol. Dude's a hoot huh? Approximate! Layin' some vocab on ya!

Well again good luck, sounds real good give or take the odd cabasa lol.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:56 PM   #2489
fred garvin

Default The true path revealed...

Answering my own question from earlier for the benefit of any interested latecomers... this thread was edited down to yep's posts and others directly related by a member called Smurf and his edits are still available here:

https://stash.reaper.fm/u/Smurf?u=u

Happy Reapering!
Old 06-09-2018, 05:55 AM   #2490
ringing phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred garvin View Post
Oh ok, got it in one lol. Yah what is that? Uncle Intertubes says... Cabasa!

Used to have one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu4_uwQWA-g

...for years until I knew what it was called lol. Dude's a hoot huh? Approximate! Layin' some vocab on ya!

Well again good luck, sounds real good give or take the odd cabasa lol.
Much appreciated...and you were right.

I've tidied up the areas you mentioned and I think it's somewhat improved. Funny the things you don't notice huh? (me that is)

Cheers mate
Old 06-09-2018, 12:11 PM   #2491
fred garvin

Oh cool, glad to help! Was saying to a friend the other day, it's funny how we create these wonderful sounds that inspire us, and painstakingly craft these performances, and insist on perfect (or close as) clarity and fidelity in recording... and then take a butcher knife to everything to make the freakin mix work lol.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:46 PM   #2492
Petimar

Thanks Yep, appreciate this thread/advice!!!
Petimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:02 PM   #2493
foxAsteria

Almost 1.5 million views on this amazing thread and it deserves even more.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:17 AM   #2494
ivansc

Maybe some selfless person should do an up to date pdf of all the stuff that has been posted since the last one! (he says, sitting firmly on his hands)
Old 04-21-2019, 07:55 AM   #2495
RacerX29

Quote:
Maybe some selfless person should do an up to date pdf of all the stuff that has been posted since the last one! (he says, sitting firmly on his hands)
OK - ZIP file with PDFs of all the pages in this thread:

http://condition3.net/yeps-thread-W-...2019-04-19.zip

And a big thank you to yep for starting this and sharing his amazing knowledge. I've been out of music for several years now but want to get back in. Back when I was recording, I learned EVERYTHING from this thread.
RacerX29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:36 AM   #2496
ivansc

@RacerX29: A big thank you from all who bookmarked this thread.

I can now re-read bits when I am on holiday with no wifi!
Old 06-03-2019, 10:17 AM   #2497
troywestfield

Default Another thank you

Just another schmuck who wanted to thank Yep and some others who gave of their time and expertise on the earlier parts of this thread. I'm one of a million people who came across it while searching for a DAW mixing primer, and got a ton of useful info from it. I'd already tracked most of my upcoming album, but still was able to improve how things sounded during mixing a ton by applying some of what I took away from the thread. Just mastered the first song last night, and in all my excitement, wanted to take a second to thank Yep et al.
troywestfield is offline   Reply With Quote