Old 01-05-2019, 04:47 AM   #1
Coachz
Human being with feelings

Default Audio Channel Routing

How do Audio Channels work ? I start with a track (3) nested under two folders (2 and 1) and route the channel up to the top folder (1). It was then able to be routed back down to the FX channel. It seems that I can send to any level track from any other level track. Is that right ?

I DO NOT have allow feedback in routing in my project settings enabled.

Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:05 AM   #2
jrengmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
It seems that I can send to any level track from any other level track. Is that right ?

You can. CMIIW With the exception parent folder cannot send to its childern unless you enable feedback routing.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:47 AM   #3
Coachz

You have to be incorrect here because I"m clearly sending to my FX track that is in an FX folder. I added another folder for fun in FX and it still sends 2 levels down !

That's why I'm confused.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:28 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

1) The FX tracks are not part of the Vox folder structure. If you put the FX folder at any level under the Vox folder, it would look like feedback, but as is it's not.

B) Feedback doesn't have to do with folders but rather with sends and receives. It doesn't want you to have one track with both a send and receive to/from one other track, even if one of those is from a "parent send". Otherwise a track is a track, and it's "level" in a folder structure is mostly meaningless when it comes to routing. All that matters is that you don't create a loop, and here you haven't.

Edit - It does seem a little strange to me, though I guess I'm not sure what you're doing. Track 3 essentially has two sends to track 2. It sends the exact same signal to channels 1/2 and 30/31 (which btw is an odd pairing because usually the left side of a pair is an odd number). The FX on Track 2 do something to that signal. Then Track 2 has two sends to Track 1. One of those is the parent send, which will pass channels 1/2 AND 30/31, but then there's another sending 1/2 TO 30/31. On Track 1, channels 30/31 will be a mix of whatever came out of Track 3 AND whatever the FX on Track 2 did to that signal. I'm sure there are reasons one might do that, and again I'm not sure what you're actually shooting for, but it's a bit unusual and in context of the relatively "noob" nature of your OP question makes me think you might be a bit confused.

Last edited by ashcat_lt; 01-05-2019 at 09:43 AM.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:19 AM   #5
Coachz

I disagree that audio channel routing is a noob question. Anyways, can you say why the top level parent track 1 can send audio channels 30/31 to descend down back to the Reverb Hall on track 5 ?

Can a child track route to any other tracks not directly its' branch ?

The reason I have this routing is for stealth sends. Thanks for any ideas.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #6
jrengmusic

Quote:
You have to be incorrect here because I"m clearly sending to my FX track that is in an FX folder. I added another folder for fun in FX and it still sends 2 levels down !

That's why I'm confused.
I stand corrected. Read carefully my previous post. You can send any signal to any track regardless the hierarchy. With the exception a parent folder cannot send signal to its own children. Well you can, but it won’t be making any sound unless feedback routing is allowed.

Which parent folder did you send to its childern?
Old 01-05-2019, 10:37 AM   #7
ashcat_lt

I really didn't mean to offend. That's why I put in quotes. It IS a fundamental fact that you can send from any track to any other track and nobody cares where either of them is in any folder structure as long as it's not also receiving from that track.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:45 AM   #8
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrengmusic View Post
...a parent folder cannot send signal to its own children.
Sure it can, as long the children aren't sending to the folder. Turn off the parent sends and there's no feedback and everything's cool.

Of course, you CAN route a feedback loop too. Nothing stops you. Reaper just mutes it somewhere along the line unless you set "Allow feedback routing..." That's kind of a strange wording actually because Reaper certainly will allow you to route the feedback loop. It won't allow you to hear it, though.

Coachz - Do you really want to send a MIX of Tracks 2 and 3 to your FX bus? Edit - /What is Track 2 even doing besides complicating things?

Last edited by ashcat_lt; 01-05-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:53 AM   #9
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrengmusic View Post
I stand corrected. Read carefully my previous post. You can send any signal to any track regardless the hierarchy. With the exception a parent folder cannot send signal to its own children. Well you can, but it won’t be making any sound unless feedback routing is allowed.

Which parent folder did you send to its childern?
Reaper does seem to allow it oddly. I am able to send parent track down to childrens' child and it makes sound but it sounds horrible. :-)

Old 01-05-2019, 11:03 AM   #10
sostenuto

Quote:
How do Audio Channels work ? I start with a track (3) nested under two folders (2 and 1) and route the channel up to the top folder (1). It was then able to be routed back down to the FX channel. It seems that I can send to any level track from any other level track. Is that right ?

You are a knowledgeable user, yet after reading so far, I am baffled ….

Seems like a Kenny Gioia video need ….. unless there already is one ??

Will keep following and hope to learn.
sostenuto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:06 AM   #11
Coachz

Maybe you think I desire to send audio back down the branch. I do not. I'm just testing what the capabilities of audio channels are because there isn't really any documentation on them that I have seen yet.