Old 01-03-2019, 06:30 AM   #1
Karl Engel
Human being with feelings

Default Problem using sE X1 USB mic

When using this mic with Reaper and monitoring through the mic I get an issue whereby upon hitting Play, sounds ramp up in volume from silence over a period of about a second, ie if I record "one, two, three" and line up the cursor at the start of "one" I won't hear any sound until the start of "two".

I assumed this was a problem with the sE driver but discovered it happens using all compatible drivers but apparently only in Reaper. The problem does not occur in Audacity or Audition and is not affected by buffer size.

Anyone else experienced this or found a workaround? (Other than monitiring through another output - which negates the benefit of the mic's zero latency monitoring.)

Last edited by Karl Engel; 01-03-2019 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Typos
Karl Engel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:23 PM   #2
Bazzbass

from your post it sounds like you have an interface and are trying to use the USB mic at the same time? or have I misunderstood? I believe Reaper only allows one interface and is treating the usb mic as another interface.Sorry if I totally got this wrong, just trying to help
Old 01-04-2019, 06:57 AM   #3
Karl Engel

No the USB mic is the only interface in this case. It has a headphone outlet which combines zero latency monitoring of the mic with Reaper playback.

In any case ASIO4ALL (and WaveOut & DirectSound) allow different interfaces to be chosen for the input and output devices.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:56 PM   #4
mschnell

In many cases ASIO4ALL does not work decently - and no help available on same. (See many threads in these forums.)

-Michael
Old 01-05-2019, 08:06 PM   #5
Karl Engel

Here's a vid demonstrating the issue
https://youtu.be/Cg9XCqPks4Y

It only seems to occur in Reaper, only with this interface (a USB mic in this case), and with all drivers I've tried that allow the mic to be both the input and output device including sE's XMOS driver, ASIO4ALL, DirectSound and WaveOut