Old 12-29-2018, 02:16 PM   #1
ChrisBlue
Human being with feelings

Default Help !

I clicked the rescan button after installing a plugin and it didn't do its usual thing so I cancelled the rescan but when I looked in my plugins I only have the Reaper ones. So I did rescan again and it went through the same strange process instead of what should have happened and then stopped and gave this message - C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-t..es...(etc) is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error status OxcOOOO12f. I can no longer open Reaper at all. Does anyone know what this is about and what my best course of action is. If I have to install the program again what will happen to all my recordings and is that the best thing to do anyway or should I contact Reaper support. Thanks p.s. the title of the error message is reaper_host32.exe - bad image
ChrisBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:59 PM   #2
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlue View Post
C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-t..es...(etc) is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.
That folder is a Windows shared library file, and if REAPER is trying to scan it looking for VST/VSTi plugins, it's not surprising that it would crash REAPER.

I'd try renaming "reaper.ini" to something else like "reaper_original.ini" and try starting REAPER back up.

It will re-create that file on a successful launch, but you will have to set some things back up, like the paths to where your plugins really are located.

The reaper.ini file is normally located here,

C:\Users\USER_NAME\Application Data\REAPER

replacing "USER_NAME" with the name on your computer.

If you are familiar with editing .ini files, you could also just check the two lines in the .ini file that start with,

vstpath=

and

vstpath64=

making sure they only point to valid locations where your plugins are located.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:48 AM   #3
ChrisBlue

Default Help

Hi thanks for reply. Could I just get a bit more detail as I'm not a computer person really. How would I rename Reaper please, i.e. could you tell me step-by-step. The crash occurred when I followed Toontrack's advice to paste in a particular plugin path for one of their products and then I rescanned. Of course they say it must be a coincidence but when does anyone on the web not blame something else for their mess-ups.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:16 AM   #4
Stella645

Go to C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\REAPER (where xxxx is your user account name)

If you have multiple user folders and don't know which you are logged in as just open them and see if the REAPER folder exists in there.

In that folder you'll find REAPER.ini right click and rename it and then try to open Reaper again. Reaper will rebuild a new file with safe default settings.

Chances are when you entered the Toontrack path you got it wrong so Reaper is scanning your system files or something.
If not then post the path and someone can confirm if it looks problematic.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:19 AM   #5
ChrisBlue

Default Help continued

I tried downloading the latest Reaper but just got error messages. Is reinstalling Reaper the same as downloading the newest version or do I have to Reinstall some other way please
Old 12-30-2018, 09:27 AM   #6
ChrisBlue

Default More help please

I tried reinstalling my original version of Reaper in my Files but got the same error messages about [ output folder:C:\Program files\Reaper (X64)

Can't write: C:\Program Files (X64)\reaper.exe
Old 12-30-2018, 09:33 AM   #7
Stella645

If you're hoping just installing latest (or original) version will fix the previous issue, it won't as it migrates all settings from previous install.

Not sure why you're getting can't write errors.....WIndows permissions perhaps....you definitely downloaded the file rather than trying to run direct from the internet??
Old 12-30-2018, 01:52 PM   #8
ChrisBlue

thanks for your help both of you. I'm not very knowledgable with computers. I've looked for reaper.ini but can't find it - do you mean Reaper-install ? Do I have to uninstall the version I had before first? Just to clarify when I do this all my projects will still remain in my file directory and will simply be there to load into my new installation, i.e. uninstalling Reaper doesn't remove any of my projects and recordings?
Also I can't seem to locate C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\REAPER, where would this be please. I've looked in my file explorer.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:57 AM   #9
Stella645

Ahh....by default the appdata folder is a hidden folder so you need to set the file preferences to show hidden files and folders.

How you do that varies a little depending on Windows version so just google show hidden files and folders on Windows (insert your version here)

Deleting or renaming Reaper.ini will not remove anything. it just resets Reaper to default settings.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:20 AM   #10
solger

Quote:
Also I can't seem to locate C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\REAPER, where would this be please. I've looked in my file explorer.
In general, besides navigating manually to the hidden folder (as Stella mentioned above): https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...windows-vista/
.. you can also get there via the Options > Show REAPER resource path ... menu (if it's possible to launch Reaper).

Another option is doing a general file search on your computer for the 'reaper.ini' file.

Quote:
Can't write: C:\Program Files (X64)\reaper.exe
Have you already tried launching Reaper or the Reaper installer as admin (via Right-Click > Run as administrator)?

Last edited by solger; 12-31-2018 at 05:42 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:13 AM   #11
ChrisBlue

I have a Reaper X64 in my program files but I can't find Reaper.ini and I don't know where file preferences is, as I say I'm not great at computing I was trying to make some music...
Old 12-31-2018, 09:17 AM   #12
ChrisBlue

I tried the run as administrator option but got the same error message although after that there was a small bit of activity on the loading box but it stopped before loading anything with a recognizable name like plugins
Old 12-31-2018, 09:22 AM   #13
bolgwrad

Quote:
I have a Reaper X64 in my program files but I can't find Reaper.ini and I don't know where file preferences is, as I say I'm not great at computing I was trying to make some music...
Start Menu - Control Panel - Personalization - File and Folder Options - View tab -

Click to check 'show hidden files and folders' AND 'Show system folders'. You'll get an 'are you sure?' prompt, click OK.

You should be then able to see 'Reaper.ini in the place specified above.
bolgwrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:25 AM   #14
ChrisBlue

I did this to try and find the Reaper-ini in the hidden files :- go to the Control Panel, select the 'Appearance and Personalization' section, from there, Folder Options --> Show hidden files and folders. and...…….nothing happened
Old 12-31-2018, 09:50 AM   #15
solger

Quote:
I did this to try and find the Reaper-ini in the hidden files :- go to the Control Panel, select the 'Appearance and Personalization' section, from there, Folder Options --> Show hidden files and folders. and...…….nothing happened
Did you already manage to find (or navigate to) the hidden 'C:\Users\<insert your username here>\AppData\Roaming\REAPER' folder yet (where the reaper.ini file should be located) in the Windows File Explorer?

Because if file extensions are hidden, it only shows 'reaper' as filename (instead of reaper.ini): https://www.howtogeek.com/205086/beg...le-extensions/

EDIT: Info about how to find the Appdata\Roaming folder ('C:\Users\<insert your username here>\AppData\Roaming') can be found here: https://www.howtogeek.com/318177/wha...er-in-windows/

Last edited by solger; 12-31-2018 at 10:00 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:33 PM   #16
alanofoz

To find the appdata\roaming folder type %appdata% into file explorer's address bar.

bunyipmusic.com
alanofoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:19 AM   #17
ChrisBlue

I always feel like I'm in some alternate universe when I'm trying to follow computer instructions. I have found the appdata and the only one with Reaper in it is the roaming but it doesn't have Reaper.ini There are several reaper files which I have shown in the screenshot (but in the attachment key I see something called ini Are these attachments even getting sent ?
Old 01-01-2019, 06:28 AM   #18
ChrisBlue

I do have the hidden items box ticked
Old 01-01-2019, 10:34 AM   #19
solger

Quote:
There are several reaper files which I have shown in the screenshot (but in the attachment key I see something called ini Are these attachments even getting sent ?[
There are no files or screenshots attached.

The allowed maximum size of files with a .ini extension is 64.0 KB.
Info about 'How to: post attachments & screenshots' can be found here (in post #1 and #2): https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=140670
Old 01-01-2019, 10:49 AM   #20
solger

Here's a screenshot of the Reaper.ini file (with and without file extensions hidden) in the Windows File Explorer:

https://imgur.com/a/EKPSSDz
Old 01-01-2019, 11:54 AM   #21
ChrisBlue

thank you Solger (and other people giving me their time) I have now located the file In order to rename it I clicked edit but then wasn't sure how to change the title of the file. Can you just get me past this final (hopefully) hurdle please i.e I opened the file which led to Notepad with the edit option . Is this what I'm supposed to do? Thanks
Old 01-01-2019, 11:59 AM   #22
ChrisBlue

so you don't just click "manage attachments " and then browse and then load?
Old 01-01-2019, 12:23 PM   #23
solger

Quote:
thank you Solger (and other people giving me their time) I have now located the file In order to rename it I clicked edit but then wasn't sure how to change the title of the file. Can you just get me past this final (hopefully) hurdle please i.e I opened the file which led to Notepad with the edit option . Is this what I'm supposed to do? Thanks
Right-click on the reaper.ini file in the Windows File Explorer and choose Rename (at the bottom of the menu list).

Then change the name to something like 'reaper-old.ini' or 'reaper_original.ini' and press the ENTER key afterwards to save the changes.

Quote:
so you don't just click "manage attachments " and then browse and then load?
Yeah, that's the way for attaching files via the Forum.

But as shown in the Manage attachments windows, the maximum file size of the supported file types is pretty limited (especially when attaching big screenshots).
So basically if a file size is too big, it can't be attached directly.

Therefore another option for attaching big screenshots is to upload them to an external service (like imgur.com) and then adding just the weblink to the post (which I did in post #20).
Old 01-02-2019, 05:34 AM   #24
ChrisBlue

Thanks so much everyone for the help! The problem seems to be resolved
Old 01-02-2019, 05:48 AM   #25
DarkStar

Good oh!

To help out others with a similar-looking problem, could you let us know the steps you took to resolve it?
Old 01-04-2019, 07:54 AM   #26
ChrisBlue

It was just a case of renaming the Reaper ini file but I couldn't find the ini bit because even though I had show hidden files checked I didn't have show extensions checked (I'm not computer interested so don't know all the ins and outs any more than I know how my phone or TV works but bizarrely the most complicated thing ever invented you're expected to know ). Anyway I renamed it and it worked and in fact everything was pretty much still in place. Although when I open the plugins list for some reason it doesn't fill the screen and I have to keep extending the edges to fill the screen.