Old 08-31-2014, 12:01 PM   #81
brainwreck
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendir View Post
Thanks for the heads up about Emissary spk77! I think I'm starting to make some progress here:

https://app.box.com/s/0u7g4qjziqumvvv1chso

I tried running the guitar through a bypassed Korg AX3G pedal into the interface. Much better feel and response, though noise levels are still unacceptable. With the TS-999 in front the hiss is crazy. I need to switch out some cables and try this again.
I imagine that most of that noise is coming from the Korg. Digital multi-effects boxes can be like that.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:15 PM   #82
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
RMS test. No one wants to prove it? La-z-ee! I have to do everything... :p
Kudos for actually running the test and posting.

I'm personally very skeptical about the whole "-18" thing that pops up all the time. I opened a thread over here on the subject; I've read a lot of argument that it matters, that you're overloading the inputs on your cheap interface, etc, but I have managed to find zero authoritative links explaining on a technical level why it would happen, and zero posted examples that demonstrate the described difference.

I ran my own test as well -- you can read about it here, with methodology explained and audio clips provided -- and found no perceptible difference. (The clips inlclude multiple instruments mult'ed to separate inputs, one running roughly -18, the other roughly -0.5.)

I'm not saying I have 0% faith that this issue could be an issue for someone, somewhere, on some piece of gear, but I do feel pretty comfortable tentatively putting it in the "expensive 1/4-inch cable" category, or at least the "digital converters sound bad" category: advice that was true at one time and is no longer true. If anyone knows the contrary, please mult a source to two differently-gained inputs, record samples, share them, and let us double-blind ABX test them.

Quote:
Here is an A/B test. One di signal was recorded at -18 RMS, the other at -9 RMS (Reaper's master meters set to RMS only). First you'll hear the processed takes through a sim, then the raw di takes. Do you hear any major anomalies (other than my playing)? Which is which?
https://app.box.com/s/qkq40ugs1qis901oxmvk
If those are two different takes, I encourage you to post a test where you mult the guitar to two differently-gained inputs. The microscopic differences betweeen two performances are going to outweigh the micro-microscopic differences that -18 vs -9 would yield. Unless the -18 vs -9 difference is allegedly large, in which case fair enough, and your test does again satisfy me that the difference is not noticeable.

And it'd be great if you can post the result as separate files, so people can use tools like my ABX software to do a proper statistically-relevant test to see if they can discriminate.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:41 PM   #83
brainwreck

clepsydrae, the '-18 RMS' input level rule does matter, but within the context of recording a di guitar, it isn't going to make that much difference. I certainly hear a difference in sound qualities, as did morgon, but to me, it isn't a big enough difference to ruin a track. You will likely get similar results tracking other instrument sources. If you want to hear the '-18 RMS' rule in action, try running some program material (something with a modern loud mix would be best) out of your interface, recording the result back to a pair of inputs. You'll hear it, alright - try first to record the output just under or at 0db peak.

I tend to think that we recording folks should 'use are ears' first, and check the 'rules' when we hear something bad.

Last edited by brainwreck; 08-31-2014 at 01:54 PM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:45 PM   #84
karbomusic

Quote:
I'm not saying I have 0% faith that this issue could be an issue for someone, somewhere
I mentioned it sounding bad (it was a few years back when I quit recording all my tracks that way). I didn't post it because I don't have it to post. I did say you are overloading the incoming analog side of the gear because that is what my 2k soundcard is spec'd to handle and the large majority of sound cards are the same. So I respectfully stand behind following my gear's hardware spec unless I misread it. If everyone else thinks it doesn't matter and wants to do it anyway I'm good with that which is why I stopped replying. Nothing to argue, everybody is happy do what you like most. Everything that matters isn't instantly found in an A/B test and I often go by specs so I don't have to spend all my time A/Bing stuff.

Last edited by karbomusic; 08-31-2014 at 01:59 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:25 PM   #85
clepsydrae

[sorry, OP, for the continuing shameless hijack of your thread...]

Quote:
I certainly hear a difference in sound qualities, as did morgon
All due respect, but unless you can blind ABX it about 15 times, do better than chance, and get a high p-value (aka "confidence") result, it's not really statistically meaningful...

Quote:
If you want to hear the '-18 RMS' rule in action, try running some program material (something with a modern loud mix would be best) out of your interface, recording the result back to a pair of inputs. You'll hear it, alright - try first to record the output just under or at 0db peak.
That's akin to what I did in the link I posted above -- three or so instruments, all recorded simultaneously at the two different levels, and mixed. But just to be thorough, I just ran another test using pre-recorded full mixes, as you describe.

I used clips of three different songs, flattened to mono, and sent identical signals (except for level) back in to the interface (hovering around -18 dBFS and the other peaking at 0.5 dBFS). I normalized them, but no other processing was applied. It's a PreSonus Firestudio Mobile -- a prosumer device that should exhibit these characteristics, I'm told.

Please, everyone interested, download these samples, download my ABX software (free, runs on PC/Mac/Linux), and see if you can get a better-than-chance result over about 15 trials with any of the pairs of files (report confidence value as well). Let us know which you think came in at ~-18, and which was -0.5, and later I will reveal which is which (no cheating!):

(files are 24/44.1)

[update: made a mistake in metering; files now corrected]

http://lacinato.com/pub/audio/lilaA.wav
http://lacinato.com/pub/audio/lilaB.wav

http://lacinato.com/pub/audio/chiroA.wav
http://lacinato.com/pub/audio/chiroB.wav

http://lacinato.com/pub/audio/zalzalaA.wav
http://lacinato.com/pub/audio/zalzalaB.wav

Alternately, use the same software to do a shootout with the same pairs and see which you prefer, if you can establish a pattern of preference.

Quote:
I tend to think that we recording folks should 'use are ears' first, and check the 'rules' when we hear something bad.
Agreed. My ears detect no difference amongst any of the pairs of files. I tried ABX'ing them, but was basically guessing randomly as I could hear nothing significant between them. If i turned them way up, i could hear a lot more hiss on the -18 version at the end of the "lila" file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I did say you are overloading the incoming analog side of the gear because that is what my 2k soundcard is spec'd to handle and the large majority of sound cards are the same.
I'm ignorant in the ways of the electronic specifics, but as far as I understand things it's not the case that ADC's are "designed for -18" or otherwise optimal in any way at that range, but that they are calibrated for that level to line up with analog gear in a convenient way (AKA the "record at -18 so your DAW faders are in a convenient place when mixing" or "so that your DAW outputs the right levels to your analog gear" arguments -- very fair enough, where true, but not related to optimal recording quality into the DAW.) Does your manual say otherwise?

Quote:
Nothing to argue, everybody is happy do what you like most.
Sure, but i think there is value in better understanding our tech so we can know what to spend our scarce time on when we're troubleshooting, and where to focus our attention when trying to improve our technique, and what is best to recommend to others so as to help them make best use of their time.

Quote:
Everything that matters isn't instantly found in an A/B test and I often go by specs so I don't have to spend all my time A/Bing stuff.
Also agreed. I can't hear anything between 256 and 320 mbps in an mp3, and don't want to spend the time exhaustively investigating the potential cases where it might matter, but I always render 320's just in case either my ears are deficient or the day comes where I do notice.

I'm just allergic to audio urban myths. :-)

Last edited by clepsydrae; 09-01-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:41 PM   #86
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
All due respect, but unless you can blind ABX it about 15 times, do better than chance, and get a high p-value (aka "confidence") result, it's not really statistically meaningful...
I don't care about the statistics of ABX tests or what the specs of the gear imply. I care about how content I am with what is coming out of the speakers and entering my ears. No sense in overthinking this stuff, imo.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:07 PM   #87
karbomusic

Quote:

Also agreed. I can't hear anything between 256 and 320 mbps in an mp3, and don't want to spend the time exhaustively investigating the potential cases where it might matter, but I always render 320's just in case either my ears are deficient or the day comes where I do notice.
The above really sums it up nicely, thank you!

That's the entire point, following some rules of thumb (that don't require you to spend all your money and this one doesn't), save time and you are covered. That's why the are called rules of thumb and yes, it is slightly annoying to try to help users out only to see the thread turn into hair splitting A/B examples. Save those for the guy saying he can hear the electron skimming the skin of oxygen free wire. I can't see a single reason this helps the OP to be honest; he just wants his highs back lol. I stand behind my recommendation because it is designed to remove as many variables as possible and it is within the specs of most hardware meaning they don't have to go look it up and deciper.

I use 320 for MP3 for similar reasons, I can't possibly evaluate every single different audio example and scenario where it might rear it's head so to be safe, I'm covered. Many, many rules are in place for that exact reason. I have found issues in different types of audio type things if you will that didn't show up until some rare combination of instruments, silence, frequencies whathaveyou. I don't need that biting me in the ass because I wanted to prove someone on the internet wrong LOL.

Quote:
I'm just allergic to audio urban myths. :-)
First thing to do is treat the right disease, there is urban myth, specification and good rules of thumb. Those often overlap running the risk of over analyzing everything.

Last edited by karbomusic; 08-31-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:14 PM   #88
brainwreck

How many of you have actually tracked di guitar above -18dbfs RMS without seeing some overs? Throwing rules at situations to which they don't really apply isn't helping someone figure out why his guitar doesn't sound right.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:05 PM   #89
clepsydrae

Quote:
following some rules of thumb (that don't require you to spend all your money and this one doesn't), save time and you are covered.
Yeah, but... whose rules? There are a lot of potential rules out there, many of which are wrong. :-) I for one don't follow the "-18" rule because all it does is make my recordings a bit noisier. Of course I may well be missing something... my experience is limited... but it's hard to imagine anything serious lurking in my potential mistake.

Quote:
I can't see a single reason this helps the OP to be honest; he just wants his highs back lol.
That this is entirely OT, I concede, and I will stop posting about it here in case OP and/or others are bothered.

But i don't think it's hair-splitting or anal retentive to do some actual tests of something that is presented by forum posters all over the internet as very relevant to recording quality, and the only way to know if you're fooling yourself into hearing "punch" or "attack" or "clarity" or whatever is to do blind ABX testing of sufficient statistical value.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:10 PM   #90
morgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I have some older ones with my lousy playing (damn, there were so many missed pinch harmonics that would have sounded awesome if I actually PLAYED THEM CORRECTLY -_-). Some tones I went through weren't as good as I wanted them, though. But some were rocking! I also don't particularly like the reverb on it, but oh well. The amp models themselves are VERY good for the money.

https://app.box.com/s/2qbb2jiqa2bvikwsm93z
https://app.box.com/s/n829g3mxc32zj5878jxw

(Fun fact: "brljanje" in Croatian literally means "messing (things) up"! Also, bonus internets to those who figure out which "famous bands" riffs I shoddily played - most stuff is just improv though.)

Guitar used: Washburn X40 Pro QTBL
Impressive demo ED, both the playing and fx unit. Those Zakk Wylde style pinch harmonics are quite an accomplishment by designers imo, ie good clarity, crunch AND singing pinch harmonics.
Ive put that[V-amp] on my wish list.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:00 PM   #91
karbomusic

Quote:
I for one don't follow the "-18" rule because all it does is make my recordings a bit noisier. Of course I may well be missing something... my experience is limited... but it's hard to imagine anything serious lurking in my potential mistake.
Help me out then...

I had to raise the preamp ~10dB higher than necessary to just so I could get the raw guitar signal to -9 RMS. Why do I need to do any of that when recording @24 bit more than allows the gear sending the signal into the DAW to run within its prescribed range? And when some VSTs expect it; not for quality reasons but because of my statement below concerning incoming signals and where they naturally fall?

It also overed enough (in the converters via hardware clip indicator) that I would need to reduce it to actually lay a track. @ -18dB RMS, no overs and my preamp was able to be reduced to 24dB of gain, lowering required gain by 10dB. IIRC in the analog realm going from that world into the box, the proper analog levels will naturally show up in that same -18 range. Why do we want to suddenly ignore all of this just so we can say we're at -9 in digital instead of using a rule of thumb that covers all these bases?

Quote:
Heuristic - refers to experience-based techniques for problem solving, learning, and discovery that give a solution which is not guaranteed to be optimal. Where the exhaustive search is impractical, heuristic methods are used to speed up the process of finding a satisfactory solution via mental shortcuts to ease the cognitive load of making a decision. Examples of this method include using a rule of thumb, an educated guess, an intuitive judgment, stereotyping, or common sense.

More precisely, heuristics are strategies using readily accessible, though loosely applicable, information to control problem solving in human beings and machines.

Last edited by karbomusic; 08-31-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:30 PM   #92
Aesis

I very much doubt that the issue is in the guitar recording, if it is we still don't need to make this rocket science. I mean guitar isn't exactly a hifi instrument. A decent DI in with a high input impedance should do the trick. The -18 db rms rule is kind of nonsense as well, how bad exactly is interface going to distort compared to a freaking GUITAR AMP? There is actually no proof anywhere that interfaces actually do clip noticeably when approaching the 0db (not saying there is not truth to it, but provide some proof please!).
Aesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:42 PM   #93
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
Impressive demo ED, both the playing and fx unit. Those Zakk Wylde style pinch harmonics are quite an accomplishment by designers imo, ie good clarity, crunch AND singing pinch harmonics.
Ive put that[V-amp] on my wish list.
Well, I think the clarity and singing of the pinch harmonics comes from the player, not the amp.

But yes, I think my playing still has some ways to go... I'm not really a good guitar player by even my own standards!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:47 PM   #94
Giano
Banned

Quote:
My V-Amp Pro shows you the middle finger. That thing sounds awesome.
There is still some space im my garbage can

No kidding. Of course one can do something with Behringer, as well, but one can even do something with Guitar Rig, if you do not use it for guitar

Ok, I am more a BOSS/Roland guy as far as guitar is concerned and I have never tried the Pro version of V-Amp, but the normal V-Amp did not please me.
Giano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:50 PM   #95
EvilDragon

Read this thread, Giano: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...f=102&t=419450
Old 09-01-2014, 12:07 AM   #96
Giano
Banned

Quote:
I know this thread, thanks - there are/were a lot of Behringer discussions.

Well, your demos are nice, but BOSS or Roland gear would make it sound way better, IMHO - but maybe that´s just what my ears are used to hear and what they like to hear ?! Japenese gear (even when produced in China, but Japanese companies have a strict and scrupulous Quality Control Management !) works fine for me for many many years (Roland, Yamaha, Sony, Zoom and Korg).

I had a Behringer mixer and I gave away my V-Amp for free, the mixer was out of order after 4 years (happened the first time concerning my gear !).

But you seem to be okay with Behringer / V-Amp Pro, so everything is fine.

Last edited by Giano; 09-01-2014 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:18 AM   #97
clepsydrae

(i have created a continuation thread over here on the subject of the -18 dBFS idea so we don't have to derail this thread any longer if it's not germane to the OP)
Old 09-01-2014, 12:32 AM   #98
Giano
Banned

... and as far as gear or software for e-guitars is concerned, there are so many different and/or similar products available from so many different companies (Effect pedals or whatever), it would maybe take more than a year to test them all and you will maybe get mad or poor if you are not rich :-)
And it´s good to find YOUR gear that pleases you !

Just to name a few companies
Eventide
Marshall
Fender
Korg
Eltro Harmonix
Boss
Roland
Mooer
Cmatmods
Carl Martin
Mad Professor
Darkglass
Way Huge
Diezel
Okko
Pro Co
Suhr
Weehbo
Tech 21
Roger Linn
Rocktron
T-Rex
Moog
Zoom
Digitech
Line 6
Behringer
Vox
Zoom
TC Electronics
Ibanez
Mesa Boogie
MXR
Xotic
Fulltone
Maxon
Z.VEX
Strymon
Lovepedal
Blackstar
Wampler
Ernie Ball
Dunlop
LEHLE
Avid
Morley...

Crazy !!!
Have not even added most of the software stuff!!!

Last edited by Giano; 09-01-2014 at 04:23 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:18 AM   #99
cerendir

Quote:
[sorry, OP, for the continuing shameless hijack of your thread...]
No worries. If my question sparked some useful discussion, it's all good.

I think I'm starting to get the hang of this though, stand by for some new sound clips when I get home from work.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:46 AM   #100
morgon

Quote:
Well, I think the clarity and singing of the pinch harmonics comes from the player, not the amp.

But yes, I think my playing still has some ways to go... I'm not really a good guitar player by even my own standards!
Yes from the player absolutely, pretty good that the tech can actually enable the possibility too.[pinch harmonics]
Seems to me youre very close to writing great stuff on the fly, you said some of it other bands riffs in there, well the improv very good too then.
I like that approach, freestyling plus good technique, bits of borrowed stuff here and there, cheers ED

Last edited by morgon; 09-01-2014 at 01:52 AM.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:35 AM   #101
msmucr

Quote:
I think I'm starting to get the hang of this though, stand by for some new sound clips when I get home from work.
I've briefly listened to your clips, sim3.wav went much better than previous.. But i still think, there is possibility to get better sound with sims. After the last decay, there is very apparent noise and 50Hz related mains hum. Some amp simulators actually add it as a part of their modelling of real deal.. but i don't think it is your case. And usually amps just exaggerate it.. garbage-in, garbage-out.
So maybe in your next clips, it would be good to also upload dry one, just to check, what is coming to sim.
Sometimes it is necessary to deal with ground loops between devices, noises from light regulators and so on. And i know few places of my frieds, where is after solving ground loops still almost impossible to record clean signal from guitar or bass with single coils due to amount of capacitive coupled external noises.
During normal noodling through amp is not so apparent IME, because its speakers don't play so high and detailed, there is no connection to computer and player isn't so concentrated to microscopic checking of sound as he is during recording.
Sometimes it is possible to improve by experimenting with common mains outlets connections, position and orientation in room during recording, different cables, power supplies to effects, improving impedance ratio etc. Also standalone direct boxes have usually ground lift switch, which helps with breaking of ground loops.
You can of course hear it, but I personally found FFT analysers quite good visual helpers for finding of problem sources and tracking changes in your setup. So for instance is Voxengo SPAN is great. If you place it on input track without any amp sim, set its mode to RTAVG, FFT size to lets say 16k, set its low range to -100dB and vertically zoom to noise floor, you should clearly see mains frequency, harmonics and noise in signal. Then it allows you to enlarge plugin UI to almost full screen and provide good visual feedback. With this setup, you can then plug your axe without actual playing and try different signal paths, positions and orientation at room, checking change after you touch bridge by hand and so on.

Maybe nothing from mentioned tips will actually apply to your thing, but that what came to my mind to your issue.

Michal
msmucr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #102
cerendir

OK, let's see. Noise is down to negligible levels after I learned the trick to use a TS-type clean boost to drive the amp instead of just upping the amp gain. It appears to be self-noise from ny Delta card, as it doesn't go away even if I unplug the input but keep input monitoring on.

TSE x50 v1: https://app.box.com/s/c3692dlcx0nl43ym6wtr

LePou LeGion: https://app.box.com/s/x1x2s7588zfzu4sm2gvs

Ignite Amps Emissary: https://app.box.com/s/ch4nhyku4totfsas8gy1

Not any breathtaking guitar tones perhaps (and a little grainy, as I didn't bother upping the oversampling), but it's sounding a lot better than my first try!

Edit: clean version: https://app.box.com/s/1bi3dwzn2idrw5vam6ix
Old 09-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #103
cincikat69

I have been happily using IK Multimedia's Amplitube for many years (keeping up with the updates/newer versions). It has proven time and again to be nothing short of amazing at getting whatever tone I look for (both guitar and bass), with an unmatched realism to actual hardware (comparing other sims). And there is a "free" version with some great stuff included, but you can also add to it through very affordable add-on packs.

Just my 2 cents... (~:
Old 09-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #104
karbomusic

Quote:

Not any breathtaking guitar tones perhaps (and a little grainy, as I didn't bother upping the oversampling), but it's sounding a lot better than my first try!

Great! Did you continue needing to go through something as a buffer or were you able to bypass that as well? Just a technical curiosity, otherwise, very glad it's getting better based on your original frustration.

I had a couple of Delta 66s in my day and never had too much noise, however, a friend I gave one of them to had a heck of a time with a ground loop some how created when it was in his particular house/computer.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:04 PM   #105
cerendir

Quote:
Great! Did you continue needing to go through something as a buffer or were you able to bypass that as well? Just a technical curiosity, otherwise, very glad it's getting better based on your original frustration.
Thanks karbo! Yep I need a buffer or I'm right back where I started. This time I used a bypassed Biyang Metal End pedal, seems to do the trick.

cincikat69: Thanks for the suggestion but I try to stay away from IK as much as I can
Old 09-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #106
msmucr

Quote:
OK, let's see. Noise is down to negligible levels after I learned the trick to use a TS-type clean boost to drive the amp instead of just upping the amp gain. It appears to be self-noise from ny Delta card, as it doesn't go away even if I unplug the input but keep input monitoring on.

TSE x50 v1: https://app.box.com/s/c3692dlcx0nl43ym6wtr

LePou LeGion: https://app.box.com/s/x1x2s7588zfzu4sm2gvs

Ignite Amps Emissary: https://app.box.com/s/ch4nhyku4totfsas8gy1

That sounds much better..
Emissary sounds best to me and thanks for dry version. Noise isn't issue there. Still clean guitar signal sounds slightly muffled and low mid heavy to me.. but it could be tone of guitar itself. Active DI Box like mentioned Waves PRS with higher input impedance could improve it bit, but it is questionable without real test, how significant it could be against your soundcard.
And it can be also improved by inserting normal ReaEQ and some transient controller like JS LOSER/TransientController before amp sim.. One time I successfully used Oxford TransMod before Amplitube and it played well together and improved clarity in whole mix.

Michal
msmucr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #107
brainwreck

Sounds mean. Metalheads have it good today with all of the freeware high-gain sims.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #108
RoboPlankton

Cerendir has entered the building........

From now on it's just a case of trying out all the options. When you take those into account (EQ, compression etc), there are only 345,678,995,333,546,733,995,334 variables to play around with....

Old 09-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #109
brainwreck

This thread got me combing back through freeware amp sims. Poulin Lextac is probably better than any of the commercial sims that I own...more testing...but this thing is very versatile.

Do any of the free ir packs have room mics?
Old 09-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #110
DerMetzgermeister

Quote:
This thread got me combing back through freeware amp sims. Poulin Lextac is probably better than any of the commercial sims that I own...more testing...but this thing is very versatile.

I think this one has: http://www.redwirez.com/free1960g12m25s.jsp?ref=home
DerMetzgermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #111
brainwreck

Quote:
Poulin Lextac is probably better than any of the commercial sims that I own...more testing...but this thing is very versatile.
I jumped the gun. Not bad, though.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #112
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerMetzgermeister View Post
Thanks, I'll check that out.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:54 PM   #113
alex1073

Quote:

God's Cab Impulses do (they're really good and I wanted to link them anyway, but the site was down for the last couple of days).

Cheers,
Alex
alex1073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #114
hamish

Default Juicy 77 + JCM 900 cabinet (3x mics)

Hi Mattias, this time I did listen to the samples : )

Here's something that I did with about 2 mins tweaking one of my punk ampsims chains. Probably not what you are looking for, but give you an idea of how different ampsims and IRs can be.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/od...1pmmkfbu0x.mp3

This chain uses SimulAnalog Tube Screamer > High Gain Amplifier (BTE Audio) > 3x instances of ReaVerb with various mics on a Marsall JCM 900 cab > Plate algorithm in Freeverb3_ProG_Reverb.

Definitely much grittier, and good sustain, unfortunately a bit of added hiss (probably from the IR's).

If I have time I might see if I can do a metal one using God's Cab or Redwirez.

Last edited by hamish; 09-01-2014 at 05:19 PM.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:22 PM   #115
hamish

Default Acme Bar Gig Preampus Metal + Mesa Cabinet (God's Cab)

OK, so here's my go at a comic-book scooped metal tone, probably more what you're after

https://app.box.com/shared/static/6q...scbzvbeqy2.mp3

Chain is Acme Bar Gigs Preampus Metal Series Ampsim followed by 3x instances of ReaVerb for 3 different mics on the Oversized Mesa cabinet (aka God's Cab) followed by a little algorithmic reverb.

Once again 100% freeware in this FX chain.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #116
EvilDragon

Quote:
We have a winner!
Old 09-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #117
cerendir

Quick question: can you use a regular stereo output pedal (like, say, a delay) as a signal splitter or do I need some kind of fancy splitter box thingy?
Old 09-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #118
DerMetzgermeister

Quote:
Quick question: can you use a regular stereo output pedal (like, say, a delay) as a signal splitter or do I need some kind of fancy splitter box thingy?
I have used a simple stereo stompbox pedal as signal splitter withouth any problems.
DerMetzgermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #119
cerendir

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerMetzgermeister View Post
I have used a simple stereo stompbox pedal as signal splitter withouth any problems.
Great, thanks! I'll give that a try.

Because as of right now I'm definitely going to start recording clean versions of all my guitar tracks along with the amped ones.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #120
Naji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giano View Post
... and as far as gear or software for e-guitars is concerned, there are so many different and/or similar products available from so many different companies (Effect pedals or whatever), it would maybe take more than a year to test them all and you will maybe get mad or poor if you are not rich :-)
And it´s good to find YOUR gear that pleases you !

Just to name a few companies
Eventide
Marshall
Fender
Korg
Eltro Harmonix
Boss
Roland
Mooer
Cmatmods
Carl Martin
Mad Professor
Darkglass
Way Huge
Diezel
Okko
Pro Co
Suhr
Weehbo
Tech 21
Roger Linn
Rocktron
T-Rex
Moog
Zoom
Digitech
Line 6
Behringer
Vox
Zoom
TC Electronics
Ibanez
Mesa Boogie
MXR
Xotic
Fulltone
Maxon
Z.VEX
Strymon
Lovepedal
Blackstar
Wampler
Ernie Ball
Dunlop
LEHLE
Avid
Morley...

Crazy !!!
Have not even added most of the software stuff!!!
pls also two lists of software - Freeware and chargeable Software ! //

Last edited by Naji; 09-02-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Naji is offline   Reply With Quote