Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 12-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
Tod
Human being with feelings

Default Free Big Mono, Tods Drums, (RSK5 & Kontakt)

Well it took a while but here it is. Big Mono along with some of my own drum samples programed in both ReaSamplOmatic500 (RSK5) and Kontakt.

Big Mono are some free drum samples put out by Analogue Drums that I think are pretty darned good and offer some very good dynamics. You can download them from the link below. **Note, you will have to download them in order to use them in either RSK5 or Kontakt with my programmed drums.

http://www.analoguedrums.com/details-bm.php

You can download my drums below (Tods Drums). I think if you Right/Click on the link and do it as a Save target as.. or Save link as.. you can direct it to a folder on your computer.

https://db.tt/UI67Bthx

I've included some installation instructions in the Docs folder of the download (Installation and Description 1.pdf).

Here is an mp3 that will give you an idea of how they sound.

https://db.tt/ETOLkRig

The Reaper project files include the midi tracks for the mp3 above to give you a little help in seeing how they all work together.

The KeyMaps for the RSK5 and Kontakt are different but both KeyMaps are in the Installation and Description 1.pdf. Also there's a folder called Help Images that has individual PNGs of each KeyMap.

I also included some Note Names custom txt files that go in your main Reaper folder that you can load into the piano roll in the Midi Editor. There's files there for both RSK5 and Kontakt as well as Kontakt with the KeySwitches.

The KeySwitches go with the Kontakt VmRide, and are a rather simple unique way of adding attack. I originally came up with this idea for a Steel Guitar program I made in Kontakt and was pleasantly surprised how well it worked for the ride too. You can also add attack to the VmRide in RSK5 but it can't be programmed. I'll try explain that a little later.

I think this is a great sounding freebie drum program for those who maybe don't have Kontakt or can't afford the alternatives.

I also applaud dylan and Analogue drums for making great sounding drums.

Last edited by Tod; 12-19-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
Tod

Putting a Choke on the Hi-Hat >>

The method I used to choke the Open Hi-Hat is to simply have it choke or cut off according to it's length. There are some benifits doing it this way.

1> You can have it cut off before, after, or right on where another Hi-Hat such as closed Hi-Hat starts.

2> The biggest advantage for doing it this way is that you can adjust the release time for how the Open Hat closes.

In the picture below, notice I have Obey note-offs checked.

Then you can see I have the Release set at 104ms. This is the setting that you can experiment with and by all means do that. I just set this as an arbitrary setting here. Heh heh, if you want to get serious, you can automate it.

<HiHat

Add Attack to the Ride>>

Like I mention in my first post, I've programmed Kontakt so that you can Add Attack to the Ride cymbal. You can do the same thing with RSK5 and in fact I did add 3.5db to the attack of the VmRide. In the picture below you can see the main volume is set at +3.5db and the Sustain on the adsr is set to a -3.5db.

Then comes the tricky part, setting the Decay. The Decay needs to be short but not too short. At 20ms it's basically adding 3.5db to the very front of each hit, which is mostly the tic or ting part. You can adjust this Decay setting to get more of the front part of the attack. However, if you take it too far, all you're basically doing is raising the over all volume of the sample +3.5db.

Feel free to experiment with this, just remember, the regular ride is a Round Robin so you have to do the same exact settings to both 24 VmRine Proc Grp1 and Grp2.

<Ride

You can do the same thing with both the Big Mono Hi-Hat and Ride.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by Tod; 12-18-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
suleiman

Highly appreciate your hardwork!

Let the others know the power of the rs5k mach 2.

Big Mono was the first kit i configured.

Till date i have configured 7 full drumkits , saved as track templates with jni's seq at the start of each. It is pure drum heaven !

Cant wait to try out your hats / cymbals.

Also, you may want to try tx16wx for drums. Pretty fast and efficient too. Kinda like the middle ground between rs5k n kuntakt.

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
G-Sun

Wow, that's wonderful work Tod!
Sounds awesome.

That's a beautiful gift for the community.

I'll reference this thread in my bundle.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:52 AM   #5
David Else

Thanks Tod!! Great work, maybe i can now retire shortcircuit
Old 12-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
gibi25

TOD, thanks a lot for your great work.
I just spent two hours this afternoon playing with the two versions.
Such a sound.
I posted a link in the french forum.
Your work deserves to be known.
gibi25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
swiiscompos

Thank you! Beautiful samples and routing! Do you always use a second master?

If we want to choke the HiHat we have to change the note lenght, right?
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMM View Post
This was amazing when I was beta testing it.
(before the public release).
Yes SMM, and I want to thank you for your help, thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suleiman View Post
Highly appreciate your hardwork!

Let the others know the power of the rs5k mach 2.

Big Mono was the first kit i configured.

Till date i have configured 7 full drumkits , saved as track templates with jni's seq at the start of each. It is pure drum heaven !

Cant wait to try out your hats / cymbals.

Also, you may want to try tx16wx for drums. Pretty fast and efficient too. Kinda like the middle ground between rs5k n kuntakt.
Thanks suleiman, 7 kits is a lot, especially before the new RSK5 updates.

I did actually try the tx16wx but I couldn't get all the velo layers into one group, it separated all the layers into separate groups. Also, I don't think you can do round robins with the free version right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Wow, that's wonderful work Tod!
Sounds awesome.

That's a beautiful gift for the community.

I'll reference this thread in my bundle.
Thanks Geir, I kind of wondered if this might not be a good possibility for your new endever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Else View Post
Thanks Tod!! Great work, maybe i can now retire shortcircuit
Thanks David, I think RSK5 is prbably as good if not the best free sampler for the drums but it's not very good for tuned instruments yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibi25 View Post
TOD, thanks a lot for your great work.
I just spent two hours this afternoon playing with the two versions.
Such a sound.
I posted a link in the french forum.
Your work deserves to be known.
Thanks gibi25, both for the kind words and for posting the french link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiiscompos View Post
Thank you! Beautiful samples and routing! Do you always use a second master?

If we want to choke the HiHat we have to change the note lenght, right?
Thanks swiiscompos, yes I nearly always use a 2nd master, it can really come in handy sometimes.

Oops, I don't think I explained how to choke the hi-hat. Yes, you use the length to get the choke, I actually like this better than regular chokes, it's more flexible. Most importantly though is that you can adjust the Release on the adsr to where it sounds best to you. This of course is with the Open hat. If you wanted to get carried away you can even automate it with an evelope.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
hopi

Xmas is getting better and better... perhaps it has something to do with Global Warming???

Thanks very much for all your good and kind work Tod!
Old 12-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
msundh

Great drums!
One question, what does the ReaSamplOmatic do in the MASTER track?
Old 12-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #11
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
Xmas is getting better and better... perhaps it has something to do with Global Warming???

Thanks very much for all your good and kind work Tod!
Heh heh, well it's currently in the low 30sF here but last week we got down to 20 below F.

Your welcome Hopi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
Great drums!
One question, what does the ReaSamplOmatic do in the MASTER track?
Oops, that was a mistake, just delete it, it has no purpose.

SMM also pointed out I forgot a couple of Span plugins on Tods Crash output track that don't belong. However, I think the EQ is important so you can just delete or ignore the Span.

I guess I could fix these things and re-upload everything. I may do that but for now just delete the Span if you don't have it and delete the extra RSK5 on the Master that don't belong there.

Sorry about that.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #12
reapercurious

Thank you Tod, will try them out!
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #13
suleiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Thanks suleiman, 7 kits is a lot, especially before the new RSK5 updates.

I did actually try the tx16wx but I couldn't get all the velo layers into one group, it separated all the layers into separate groups. Also, I don't think you can do round robins with the free version right?
Haha Tod i configured those seven kits using the Beta RS5k, NOT the old one. Im crazy but not insane

Its pretty fast with the new rs5k though.

Yeah i had the same problem with tx16wx, but it allowed auto mapping velo layers so that was not a big problem. Then i discovered wave matrices, and all was good. Seriously the matrix is one hell of a utility. Fast and very efficient. Allows immense control over how your samples are played. Round robin and random are just the tip of the ice berg. The guy Calle deserves the ( very reasonable ) price and more. I think you can try the pro features without paying first.

As for RS5k , inspired by your and G-Sun's efforts i wanna do something too. So i will sample something and share as a Reaper project / track template soon. Im thinking something unique but usable.

Salamat
Old 12-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #14
Big Al Rocks

Many thanks, Tod!
Big Al Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
Tod

Quote:
Yeah i had the same problem with tx16wx, but it allowed auto mapping velo layers so that was not a big problem. Then i discovered wave matrices, and all was good. Seriously the matrix is one hell of a utility. Fast and very efficient.
The big problem with not being able to put them all in one group is that you have to adjust the adsr, volume, pan, etc., parameters for each individual sample istead of just adjusting one group.

I'm not familiar with wave matrices, not sure what they are?

If you're talking about the key/sample mapper (matrix), yes that is something any serious sampler needs, Kontakt has one too and is even smoother and easier to work with.

Right now at the moment, I don't know of another free sampler that's any better then the new RSK5 for drums.

Quote:
As for RS5k , inspired by your and G-Sun's efforts i wanna do something too. So i will sample something and share as a Reaper project / track template soon. Im thinking something unique but usable.
Are you talking about drums or percussion? At this point I don't think RSK5 is setup very well to do tuned instruments. However, I think the free version of tx16wx will handle it pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al Rocks View Post
Many thanks, Tod!
Your very welcome Big Al.

And a Merry Xmas to all......
Old 12-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #16
suleiman

Quote:
The big problem with not being able to put them all in one group is that you have to adjust the adsr, volume, pan, etc., parameters for each individual sample istead of just adjusting one group.

I'm not familiar with wave matrices, not sure what they are?

If you're talking about the key/sample mapper (matrix), yes that is something any serious sampler needs, Kontakt has one too and is even smoother and easier to work with.

Right now at the moment, I don't know of another free sampler that's any better then the new RSK5 for drums.

Are you talking about drums or percussion? At this point I don't think RSK5 is setup very well to do tuned instruments. However, I think the free version of tx16wx will handle it pretty well.

Your very welcome Big Al.

And a Merry Xmas to all......
Tod, you can select mutiple groups and ajdust the adsr etc for all of them at once. Very fast.

Wave matrice is separate from the key/sample mapper.

In wave matrix view ( third tab ) you can define a matrix for eg for snare with mutiple velocity layers (upto 128 ! ) and round robins / random robins for each velocity layer ( upto 128 rr ! ) . Dragging and dropping in different ways maps them differently for a super fast work flow. You can them drab the matrix for the snare to the key mapper view on the key of your choice. I mapped one of the drum gizmo kits with l/r hits and it took me around 20 mins to do it. I did the the main sitar patch in Sitar Nation with 3 rr and 4 layers per note in like 10 mins.

Check the manual. Let me know if you need any help.

Salamat
Old 12-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #17
rcl

Hey guys,

I have some experience with RS5K but am trying to figure out how the multiple layers work. Is that covered in a manual somewhere?

Great work Tod.....I liked Readrums and it is still very useful...but the layers thing is way cool...great sound also...is that a Rev or just the room I hear?
Old 12-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #18
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcl View Post
I have some experience with RS5K but am trying to figure out how the multiple layers work. Is that covered in a manual somewhere?
I haven't checked yet but nicholas has some new manuals out that I think might cover it pretty well.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=132522

Quote:
Great work Tod.....I liked Readrums and it is still very useful...but the layers thing is way cool...great sound also...is that a Rev or just the room I hear?
Thanks rcl, I've got just a touch of a Small Room verb on the Hi-Hat but not on anything else. I can't speak for the Big Mono drums, I have a feeling they've been mixed from the various mics they used which would include overhead and room mics.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #19
rcl

Tod man...what are you doing responding on xmas eve?....thanks though. I checked into the newer rea effects guide and went back and re read the manual...still not alot of help in loading multiple samples into one instance of RS5K. I would imagine it could be done by setting velocity params on a WORLD of samples in a bazillion instances of RS5K with the same midi note...but that wouldnt really be efficient. Then I thought it might be done like the Jonas drumreplacer....using different velocities within the same wav file. But I checked and your tom files only have one sample.....cmon....whats the mystery? I really dont expect a reply for a bit guy. Merry Christmas by the way
Old 12-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #20
Tod

Quote:
Tod man...what are you doing responding on xmas eve?....thanks though.
Heh heh, well me and grandma (I'm grandpa) have a big get together in about 4 hours, most of our kids and a few of the grand kids. All my Great Gandkids live too far away so we won't see them till next spring.

In the mean time I'm killing a little time and enjoying the Reaper forum as usual.

Quote:
I checked into the newer rea effects guide and went back and re read the manual...still not alot of help in loading multiple samples into one instance of RS5K. I would imagine it could be done by setting velocity params on a WORLD of samples in a bazillion instances of RS5K with the same midi note...but that wouldnt really be efficient. Then I thought it might be done like the Jonas drumreplacer....using different velocities within the same wav file.
Loading multiple samples is pretty simple. The important thing is to have their names lined out properly. Then it's just a matter of dragging them all in at once (all the sample layers for the particular keynote). That's basically what the main RSK5 update is about.

Quote:
But I checked and your tom files only have one sample.....cmon....whats the mystery? I really dont expect a reply for a bit guy. Merry Christmas by the way
Actually I think each tom has 16 sample layers in it's own instance of RSK5. That makes 3 instances for 3 toms each having 16 velo layers.

You have a Merry Christmas to rcl.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #21
rcl

Thanks Tod, is that what the new[list] function is all about. I could see all the different tom samples for example 1-17. I really thought that the list was just an easier way to search librarys.....Enjoy the family.

I myself, am here with the wife, miles away from anything or anyone or... heck, asphalt for that matter. Spending my night tryin to learn more....
Old 12-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #22
rcl

I got it Tod. What was throwing me was, I was using reagate to send midi note. Well it doesnt send velocity info therefore RS5K only saw one velocity which happened to be the strongest which just happens to be the file that is displayed in the RS5k browser window....after experimenting with Stillwell's drumtrigger instead, I started to see the numbers change in the lil window.. and here the different samples......This is truly awesome.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #23
Tod

Quote:
Thanks Tod, is that what the new[list] function is all about. I could see all the different tom samples for example 1-17. I really thought that the list was just an easier way to search librarys.....Enjoy the family.
Hi rcl, yes, the list shows all the samples in that particular instance of RSK5.

Quote:
I myself, am here with the wife, miles away from anything or anyone or... heck, asphalt for that matter. Spending my night tryin to learn more....
Heh heh, that actually sounds rather exciting.

Quote:
I got it Tod. What was throwing me was, I was using reagate to send midi note. Well it doesnt send velocity info therefore RS5K only saw one velocity which happened to be the strongest which just happens to be the file that is displayed in the RS5k browser window....after experimenting with Stillwell's drumtrigger instead, I started to see the numbers change in the lil window.. and here the different samples......This is truly awesome.
Yes, it's the velocity layers of this kit that gives it it's dynamics. I think that's one of the things that's missing in many of the commercial kits now days, most have several round robins but not enough velocity layers.

When I downloaded the latest Big Mono I was amazed at the number of velo layers it had, especially the snare and that's when I thought, "this would go perfectly with my hats and ride".
Old 12-27-2013, 05:27 AM   #24
msundh

Hi
Thanks again for the drums!
One question about reapeaks. If you use the same samples, same place, for different setups, will the reapeaks files interfere? Should I copy the files for each RSK5 setup?
Old 12-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #25
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
Hi
Thanks again for the drums!
One question about reapeaks. If you use the same samples, same place, for different setups, will the reapeaks files interfere? Should I copy the files for each RSK5 setup?
Hi msundh, no, you don't have to worry about the reapeaks files.

Also you don't have to copy or move any of the samples unless you have a specific reason to do so. Where ever you use RSK5 with those samples, the RSK5 will continue to read them from their library position.

Occasionally you might get prompted for the samples when opening a project and when that happens just do a search for where the files are located.

Concerning reapeak files, they are only created if you click on a sample in the RSK5 [list]. Clicking on them causes them to show in the sample window which in turn draws the Reapeak files.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #26
suleiman

Hey Tod i finally got around to playing with your RS5k kit. THANK YOU !!
A question :

Opening the project shows tracks 1-3 with the midis in the track view, and track 4 onwards in the mixer view.
How can i get my normal view back where all the tracks are there in the track AND mixer view ?

Also, the mute on the two ride / hat sets tracks are mutually exclusive . Where do i change the setting ?

Sorry for the bothersome newbie type questions, but i honestly dont know :\

Salamat
Old 12-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #27
Tod

Quote:
Opening the project shows tracks 1-3 with the midis in the track view, and track 4 onwards in the mixer view.
How can i get my normal view back where all the tracks are there in the track AND mixer view ?
In the main menu go toe View/Track Manager, there you can pick and choose how you want the tracks to lay out.

Quote:
Also, the mute on the two ride / hat sets tracks are mutually exclusive . Where do i change the setting ?
Yes I've got the Mutes grouped because you won't want to play them at the same time, they are different cymbals in the kit.

If you really want to ungroup them use Ctrl-Alt+G to get to the Grouping Matrix.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #28
dotheblues

Default only 27 replies to Tod's drums?

hey Tod;
I DL'ed your todsdrums and got it going with a minimum of issues, and that's great, beings I'm a complete nube with midi! All in one package, a drum program I can afford that does everything I need and then some. I'm no programmer but even I know this took a good amount of work and a lot of brain power to pull off. And then to just give it away! with instructions! It's just what I needed to get my feet wet in midi in general and drumming in particular. The RSK5 sounds super and was ready to go. The drum programming examples you were nice enough to include were very helpful in teaching me some of the basics like velocity and timing variations that one would hear from a real drummer. Did I mention that I like it? You are a very cool guy, Tod. Thank you!!!
PS this is such a great learning tool, maybe it should located in the newby or general forums as well…just a thought…
respectfully,
Steve
dotheblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #29
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotheblues View Post
hey Tod;
I DL'ed your todsdrums and got it going with a minimum of issues, and that's great, beings I'm a complete nube with midi! All in one package, a drum program I can afford that does everything I need and then some. I'm no programmer but even I know this took a good amount of work and a lot of brain power to pull off. And then to just give it away! with instructions! It's just what I needed to get my feet wet in midi in general and drumming in particular. The RSK5 sounds super and was ready to go. The drum programming examples you were nice enough to include were very helpful in teaching me some of the basics like velocity and timing variations that one would hear from a real drummer. Did I mention that I like it? You are a very cool guy, Tod. Thank you!!!
PS this is such a great learning tool, maybe it should located in the newby or general forums as well…just a thought…
respectfully,
Steve
Well thank you very much Steve, you made my day.

I'm very happy you picked up on the midi example, I think it does show how important velocities can be to get the most out of it.

Thanks again Steve and I like your alias, dotheblues.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:47 AM   #30
G-Sun

Your demo just sounds wonderful,
and it must have been quite a job putting it all together.
Respect!
Old 03-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #31
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Your demo just sounds wonderful,
and it must have been quite a job putting it all together.
Respect!
Thanks Geir, It wasn't too hard putting the midi together, I basically played it in and then edited it (I don't play all that well so it did take some editing ). I did spend some time with the velocities in an effort to bring out the dynamics.

I enjoy doing this kind of stuff, especially working with samplers.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #32
DanR53

Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post. I successfully downloaded the Big Mono drums and Tod's drums. I also got things working in RS5K which is an accomplishment for me cuz I have never really messed with recording and sampling software. My only digital recording adventures have been using digital stand alone recorders. I just downloaded and installed Reaper about 2 weeks ago and can record using my interface (M Audio M-Track) but the sampler concept is totally new to me.

I did encounter a problem with trying to control velocities. Do I need to enter all of the velocity wave files from Big Mono into one instance of RS5K (say, snare for example)? With just one wave file, I found that manipulating the velocity bars didn't change anything.
DanR53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #33
DanR53

Well, I reloaded all of the wav files for the Big Mono Drums. This time, I loaded each dynamic instance in the appropriate track. Now I can manipulate velocity!

I do have a new question, though. In the Big Mono drum files, the drum wave files (all except the kick) have right hand and left hand wavs. I kinda understand the concept, but is that something that makes an audible difference? And for that to make an audible difference, would the right and left hand wavs need to go to their own separate track to be triggered?

At the moment, I have the right and left hand wavs all on one track.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #34
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR53 View Post
I do have a new question, though. In the Big Mono drum files, the drum wave files (all except the kick) have right hand and left hand wavs. I kinda understand the concept, but is that something that makes an audible difference? And for that to make an audible difference, would the right and left hand wavs need to go to their own separate track to be triggered?

At the moment, I have the right and left hand wavs all on one track.
Hi Dan, I'm a little confused as to what you're asking, are you talking about the RS5K instances that I programmed or are you reprogramming these yourself.

It's been a while ago that I did this and I don't quite remember all the details.

If you're talking about the Big Mono samples that have LH and RH, I put them all on the same key and made round robins out of them.

It's okay to put them on separate keys if you want, but you won't have the round robin affect. Also if they're on separate keys you will still want to use them as if they are one key, especially for fills and fast playing. In other words, play one key and then the other.

I must say, for being so new to all this, you seem to be doing quite well.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #35
DanR53

Quote:
Hi Dan, I'm a little confused as to what you're asking, are you talking about the RS5K instances that I programmed or are you reprogramming these yourself.

It's been a while ago that I did this and I don't quite remember all the details.

If you're talking about the Big Mono samples that have LH and RH, I put them all on the same key and made round robins out of them.

It's okay to put them on separate keys if you want, but you won't have the round robin affect. Also if they're on separate keys you will still want to use them as if they are one key, especially for fills and fast playing. In other words, play one key and then the other.

I must say, for being so new to all this, you seem to be doing quite well.
Hi,

I wasn't so sure how to set up the drums using your programming so I did it myself. I Googled the left hand right hand thing to make sure I understood what that meant. Right now I have each drum and cymbal on it's own track. I'm thinking that it might not be optimal that way, so I will probably try and figure out the piano key thing.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 05-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #36
Tod

Quote:
Hi,

I wasn't so sure how to set up the drums using your programming so I did it myself. I Googled the left hand right hand thing to make sure I understood what that meant. Right now I have each drum and cymbal on it's own track. I'm thinking that it might not be optimal that way, so I will probably try and figure out the piano key thing.

Thanks for the reply!
Humm, do you mean you're loading the samples themselves as audio items on regular tracks?

Incidentally, welcome to the forums.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #37
DanR53

Quote:
Humm, do you mean you're loading the samples themselves as audio items on regular tracks?

Incidentally, welcome to the forums.
Thanks for the welcome!

I have loaded each drum on its own track (example RS5K-snare-snare wav files with all velocities). I have the high hats on 4 tracks (open/closed/pedal/semi open) and the ride cymbal on 2 tracks (normal/bell). I might be making things too complicated but so far, that's how I do it and it works.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:31 PM   #38
Tod

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome!

I have loaded each drum on its own track (example RS5K-snare-snare wav files with all velocities). I have the high hats on 4 tracks (open/closed/pedal/semi open) and the ride cymbal on 2 tracks (normal/bell). I might be making things too complicated but so far, that's how I do it and it works.
Okay, so you're loading them in RS5K but your putting each instance on separate tracks? If so, that's okay. It uses a little more resources and adds a little more clutter but that will work.

How many midi tracks are you using?
Old 05-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #39
Jeffsounds

Quote:
It's okay to put them on separate keys if you want, but you won't have the round robin affect.
Ok, what is that? I've kept up with the various drum threads and keep seeing that mentioned but don't understand what you mean. I haven't actually started trying out all the drums scenarios as yet because I just haven't had the time but was going to make time tomorrow... so I should probably know the "terms" before I start, eh?
Old 05-07-2014, 12:07 AM   #40
G-Sun

BTW Tod: Do you believe that changing the Big Mono samples to Splitstick or Popstick (mono vs. stereo) would improve the sound of your bundle much?