Old 02-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #81
Snap
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Yep it sucks. For every move we do forward sometimes there is always 2 steps back
Yes, I shouldn't be surprised....

I'm reading manuals. Nothing suitable yet.

Thanks for the PCI link. Great info. Regarding the picture, I knew that one. I haven't it on the wall, but stucked in my brain.
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #82
danfuerth

Well I blame the current state of the computer industry on the NON Acceptance of XP 64 bit around 2003.

Due to the Morons at ATI and NVIDIA only supporting the high end markets for Video and Television with their "tweeked cards" or unlocked cards I should say COUGH COUGH Nvidia....

The reason why MS had to dump XP64 bit was due to the Drivers crashing the systems. People do not even realize the dangers of 64 bit, most people are really clueless that we are running a time bomb on 64 bit systems specially when introducing 32bit apps in mixed mode.

If at any time the driver gets out into the wrong memory space on 64 bit BOOMMM crash. 32 bit apps are the same problem

Although we are passed that now years ago it is the only reason why XP 64 bit had to be killed ( although there was the longivity reason as well)

Imagine that XP64 took off and every vendor made proper 64 bit drivers for it, Christ we all would still be on it LOL and Microsoft would have no chance to even have Vista come out or even Windows 7 for that matter.

XP 64 bit was killed for many Reasons it was not just the driver situation. One was Microsoft put out Windows XP 64 bit for AMD systems first as Intel was sucking the cone with their thumb up their ass and did not want to licence the EMT 64 bit tech from AMD. So if Intel was not going to 64 bit then all the other Vendors followed them.
AMD got screwed over by Intel and Microsoft.

Microsoft paid the price of dealing with intel, when intel funked up the graphics chipset drivers for the graphics cards that would be used in a lot of Vista systems. Microsoft helped intel out by putting "Vista Ready" on the systems, but the Intel drivers and video chips sucked ass.

So Intel, Nvidia, Microsoft killed Windows XP 64 Bit.

Now with the computer industry heading off into different roads Microsoft has cut ties with Intel FINALLY!!
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #83
karbomusic

Quote:
If at any time the driver gets out into the wrong memory space on 64 bit BOOMMM crash. 32 bit apps are the same problem
Thats true on any computer, OS or platform anywhere on the planet. Not that I disagree but that problem is memory corruption pure and simple. And to be specific, it only crashes (forcefully) because the state of the computer memory cannot be trusted at that point, that's what a crash is. It could technically keep running but any OS forces a crash the moment it can't trust itself because from that point on no calcualtion it performs can be assumed to be correct. That's the beauty of corruption, not knowing what is actually wrong.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #84
danfuerth

LMFAO "That's the beauty of corruption, not knowing what is actually wrong."

That is the description of our current society state all over the world.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #85
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfuerth View Post
LMFAO "That's the beauty of corruption, not knowing what is actually wrong."

That is the description of our current society state all over the world.
LOL. Its true though, if it was actually known, it could be corrected, ie: it was a 2 but should have been a 5. And yes I've used that explanation with CIOs of fortune 500 companies before.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:56 AM   #86
Caj

Quote:
Muhahahah nice list

Leave those on there alone.

That is pretty good as far as tweeking, killed all the junk out.

We do not need tons of extra services, we need a smooth trimmed down Windows for audio or video work.

I treat windows like linux, any misc service the app I am running or will be running does not need all the time ( Reaper) those services are eliminated.

It is important for Windows to be running free from the junk services and do what it is suppose to be doing: "COMPUTE" using the hardware we give it.

I know people will say but it won't look pretty?

I say tell that to a customer who is paying for services and want's to know what is money is going into LOL

Keep this thread going and Thanks for the comments.
Hi Dan , I managed to copy net start so you can see wich services still is running after the tweaks I´ve made .Wich of these can I disable ?
Attached Files
File Type: txt net start 2.txt (1.4 KB, 49 views)
Old 02-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #87
danfuerth

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Med ensamrätt.

C:\Users\Cajan>net start
Följande Windows-tjänster har startats:

From your list I focused only on the important ones that need to be dealt with :

***Please note all services must be "stopped" first then test your system, get results then come back to them and set them to "disabled" because if you do not set them to disabled on next reboot they start up again***

-ASUS Com Service ( Asus tool to manage Bios from within OS ! FKIN DISABLE THIS FOR GOD"S SAKE!!! There is a massive
memory leak with this service- reports from Asus users it's nasty 1.2 gig memory leakage. Disable it.

-ASUS HM Com Service ( ASUS monitoring system - Not needed.)

-ASUS System Control Service ( overclocking tools- SET TO DISABLE TO TEST SYSTEM)

-DHCP Client ( Disable this and setup a static IP for your computer instead, this will allow you to disable this)
If you are behind a router you can setup static ip for local network and even WIFI, all my systems have static IP's so I do not need to use DHCP service on my computers. Not important to disable but look into this....

-Distributed Link Tracking Client ( databases, Set this to disable )

-Encrypting File System (EFS)

-ESET Service ( Disable this while running your Daw, generaly Daw's should not be running Antivirus)

-Function Discovery Provider Host ( Disable this works the the next underneath

-Function Discovery Resource Publication ( Dangerous service to have on!! Disable it)

-HomeGroup Provider ( Disabled it. Used only for local workgroups or file sharing, USE FTP instead between each machine)

-IP Helper ( IPV6 to IPV4 tunning USELESS for a home user)

-MOTU_ZeroConf ( Must be on)

-NIHardwareService ( Must on only if you have NI hardware attached)

-NVIDIA Display Driver Service ( Disable it not needed, just gives you bells and whistles options)

-Print Spooler ( Disable this , Daw machines should not be running PRINTERS!!)

So please follow up on these.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:18 AM   #88
Caj

Quote:

From your list I focused only on the important ones that need to be dealt with :

***Please note all services must be "stopped" first then test your system, get results then come back to them and set them to "disabled" because if you do not set them to disabled on next reboot they start up again***

-ASUS Com Service ( Asus tool to manage Bios from within OS ! FKIN DISABLE THIS FOR GOD"S SAKE!!! There is a massive
memory leak with this service- reports from Asus users it's nasty 1.2 gig memory leakage. Disable it.

-ASUS System Control Service ( overclocking tools- SET TO DISABLE TO TEST SYSTEM)

-DHCP Client ( Disable this and setup a static IP for your computer instead, this will allow you to disable this)
If you are behind a router you can setup static ip for local network and even WIFI, all my systems have static IP's so I do not need to use DHCP service on my computers. Not important to disable but look into this....

-ESET Service ( Disable this while running your Daw, generaly Daw's should not be running Antivirus)

-Function Discovery Resource Publication ( Dangerous service to have on!! Disable it)

-HomeGroup Provider ( Disabled it. Used only for local workgroups or file sharing, USE FTP instead between each machine)

-NVIDIA Display Driver Service ( Disable it not needed, just gives you bells and whistles options)

Hi Dan and thanks .
I have done exactly as you said above . I have also changed video card to AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 (passive cooling) .Furthermore I have bought Mytek Stereo 96 DAC wich has improved the sound enormous from the Motu UltraLite mk3 Hybrid .
And I can´t hear ANY clicks or popups but still Latency Mon says I have problems ,but only when I start REAPER and especially when I playback a project with 20 tracks .When REAPER is not running all seems to be OK according to Latency Mon .
Is it some more function I can disable ?
The Latency Mon report is too big to attach .
The functions with highest latency is Kernel Mode Driver for Framework runtime and Motu !!!
It doesn´t matter if I have Motu conected thru Firewire or Usb .
Do you think I shall change to AMD processor and motherboard ?
Old 02-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #89
Caj

Quote:

Here is the services wich is left over .
Is there anything more I can disable ?
Attached Files
File Type: txt net start 3.txt (1.1 KB, 49 views)
Old 02-25-2013, 11:47 PM   #90
danfuerth

That is it for services

If you have already setup the system for "Background services"

Right click my computer, properties, advanced system settings

In the Performance section click settings

- set adjust for best performance and click apply

Click the advanced tab on that screen

"adjust for best performance of "

set it to BACKGROUND SERVICES and click apply

Reboot the system 1 time , do some more tests.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #91
Caj

I had already set up for background services but not for best performance .
Now is both done .
The only problem I have now is that the video card freezes quite often during playback in REAPER .
Both with the new AMD card and the nvidia I had before .
What causes that ?
Old 02-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #92
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caj View Post
I had already set up for background services but not for best performance .
I can't find a valid measurable or technical reason for setting to background services when using a destkop application such as Reaper. Yes, I am painfully aware as to how many "professionals" recommend this including daw manufacturers but haven't found one who could technically show its benefit from a true windows internals perspective. As I said in the following posts from last year, there is a lot of voodoo on using this option and personally, I don't think it applies to Reaper. I won't say 100% (still a chance it helps) until I do some deep debugging but until then, I don't see the provable improvement. Since this setting actually gives priority to those services most of you end up disabling you can see why I think it is throwing the baby out with the bathwater; Reaper isn't a background service. The only exception would the the audio endpoint service but I'm still on the fence as to whether this setting prioritizes quantums to reapers favor.

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...0&postcount=19

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=23

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...2&postcount=25

Last edited by karbomusic; 02-26-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #93
danfuerth

Do you get audio freezing as well or just video issues?

The services tweeks an the "background services "tweek are important but not how people think

These tweeks are meant to handle lower latencies that is what they are for.

It is not going to make your PC 50% Faster. It will make it less crash prone, more responsive, less lagging when handling applications.

The biggest benefit is when you want to run at extreme low latencies, you can not have a damn thing interrupt the CPU stream that is why NOTHING and I mean NOTHING can ask the CPU for anything.

That is really why these tweeks are needed.

If you do not care about lower latencies and are just mixing then these tweeks will not do much differences.

If you want to run low latencies say with guitar running Guitar SIM amps VST's then yes these tweeks are needed.

Last edited by danfuerth; 02-26-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #94
Caj

No audio freezing !!!
Only video issues !!!
The audio problem is gone thanks to your advice .
In another forum I read that one can comitt more RAM to REAPER , it should be some setting in REAPER pref. but I can´t find that .That sounds strange , I´m running windows 7 64 bit , 16GB RAM .
I have AMD Radeon 5450 1 GB DDR 3 , passive cooling.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #95
Caj

I have tried both adjust for best performance : background services , and programs . And I notice a small better video performance when set to programs.
But the video chops are still there but not so much .
Old 03-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #96
danfuerth

Interesting that when you did those settings that the video quirks are down a bit...

Could you check and goto your BIOS and set the AMD POWER NOW option and set it to ON? and do some basic tests with Reaper

Turn on C1E as well and run some tests.

Also is your power Profile set to ALLWAYS On??

Trying to track those video issues down....
Old 03-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #97
Caj

Hi Dan , I have thoroughly searched in the BIOS but I can´t find any AMD POWER NOW option ( I have ASUS P8Z68-V PRO GEN3 mobo ).Is there any other name for AMD POWER NOW in the BIOS ? In the mobo manual I can read that I can change the iGPU memory ( 32M-128M ).
I´ve turned C1E on but that didn´t make any improvement .
I have the power option in the control panel on highest performance , can adjust that in the BIOS too ?
The only thing that made any improvement is when I overclocked the AMD video card (and at the same time had the dafault theme in REAPER ), but it didn´t removed the poblem completely .And when I overclocked the AMD video card I got a line flickering on my secondary monitor screen , although I used the auto tune in the AMD video card .( I have a BENQ LED monitor screen ).
Old 03-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #98
danfuerth

Curious is this happening with 2 screens on or only with 1??
Can you check by running only 1 screen?
Old 03-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #99
Caj

It´s only on the BENQ EW2430 (LED).
Not on my Asus VW 246h .
I tried with 1 screen .
It have never before been any issues with non of them .
Old 03-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #100
Caj

I checked in services today and discovered that Microsoft net framework NGEN . V2.0.50727x86 was disabled .
I have not done that .
Shall it be disabled ?
Old 03-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #101
Caj

Is it any way to optimize the video RAM in REAPER pref.?
I got that advice from recording.org .
But I can´t find anything about that in the pref. nor the REAPER manual .
Old 03-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #102
Caj

One more thing : when I this evening worked on a piece and had the AMD video card overclocked I suddenly got a huge distortion .
Exactly at the same point twice , so I set the video card to default .
I will try now and see if the dist is gone .
Old 03-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #103
Caj

Quote:
Do you get audio freezing as well or just video issues?

The services tweeks an the "background services "tweek are important but not how people think

These tweeks are meant to handle lower latencies that is what they are for.

It is not going to make your PC 50% Faster. It will make it less crash prone, more responsive, less lagging when handling applications.

The biggest benefit is when you want to run at extreme low latencies, you can not have a damn thing interrupt the CPU stream that is why NOTHING and I mean NOTHING can ask the CPU for anything.

That is really why these tweeks are needed.

If you do not care about lower latencies and are just mixing then these tweeks will not do much differences.

If you want to run low latencies say with guitar running Guitar SIM amps VST's then yes these tweeks are needed.
I´m doing both , so I really need the tweaks .
Old 03-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #104
danfuerth

I asked about the second screen due to some misconfig could be the cause

I wanted you to try running Reaper without having the second screen hooked up and see if the graphics issues appear on the main screen.

keep us posted.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #105
Caj

When I´m running REAPER on one screen there is no line flickering on that screen (I had the other screen disconnected ).
Old 03-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #106
danfuerth

Could you reinstall the Graphics drivers for that card and choose full options on the driver install?

Curious as to why that graphics card is acting up....
Old 03-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #107
Caj

I have done that .
But I can do it again.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #108
Caj

I´ve got a new bigger problem : since installing the AMD video card I´ve got BSOD 2 times(the last today) with the message : "Driver IRQL not less or equal . Disable caching or shadowing in BIOS"
I googled and what I could understand is that a problem with drivers or a hardware conflict .
What shall I do to solve this problem ?
I also dicovered that Microsoft net framework NGEN. V2.0.50727x86 is disabled in services . I tried to enable it but it was impossible on the ground that the service has no dependecies.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #109
danfuerth

For thing to do is start fresh with the BIOS

Boot into your BIOS press F1 or Del some systems are different
Once there LOAD THE SETUP DEFAULTS!! then reboot applying settings YES

This will set your BIOS to factory default, then boot and check the OS and any Video issues, Test Reaper as well as some games if you have any there..1 game i s enough to test.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #110
Caj

OK , I´ll try . Thanks
Old 03-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #111
Caj

I can only find "Optimized Defaults" F5 , is that right ?
Old 03-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #112
danfuerth

yes that's it
Old 03-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #113
Caj

Quote:
For thing to do is start fresh with the BIOS

Boot into your BIOS press F1 or Del some systems are different
Once there LOAD THE SETUP DEFAULTS!! then reboot applying settings YES

This will set your BIOS to factory default, then boot and check the OS and any Video issues, Test Reaper as well as some games if you have any there..1 game i s enough to test.
Thanks , I booted in to BIOS (Del) and loaded "optimized default"F5 ,rebooted.
Booted and I have my PC on this whole day testing with REAPER (e.g working on my new piece).
The only problem have been the line that runs during playback : it feezes sometimes ,( but I think I have solved that problem , because when I loaded another piece with instruments from Komplete 8 I got no freezing line .In the piece I got the freezing line I had some freeware instruments and I took away one by one and found that it was a vsti called StringZ that gave the freezeng line and sometimes also chops in the audio .When I removed StringZ the audio was OK, only the freezing line about 7 times thru the 20 min. long piece).
Audio seems OK (even according to the latency checker),shall I do some more tweaks then ?
I´ve got a fantastic sound with my new MYTEK DAC.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #114
Caj

PS. I have no games to test with DS.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #115
danfuerth

Actually that's very good

You could test more by loading that troublesome VSTi and instead of playing back anything Freeze right after loading it.

Zoom on the Wavform and listen to it for any pops or clicks

Wondering it the "Anticipate FX" could help on that
Old 03-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #116
Caj

I tried to zoom on the wave form but then I could not hear any clicks , only when I playbacked from the beginning of the piece !!!
I will try "Anticipate FX" tomorrow .
But I wonder what gave me BSOD ?????
By the way I´m beginning to think of your setup with AMD CPU and mobo ,
can it handle 20-30 tracks with heavy sampled vsti like Vienna ?!?
( I only heard bad things about AMD before)
Old 03-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #117
Caj

Better with "Prevent anticipate FX" on troublesome vsti .
THANKS .
Today no issues .
Old 03-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #118
Caj

I´ve been thinking on my PC .
The good things are the i7 2600K 3.40 GHz , 16GB RAM and AMD Radeon HD5450 Video card .
With this CPU and 16GB RAM I can load a LOT of sampled instr. like Komplete 8 and EWQLSO Gold and I only uses 5-10 % of my RAM .
The not so good what I understand after your tweaking advice is the mobo :
Asus P8Z68-V PRO GEN3 .
Is there other mobo´s that don´t have these functions that a music PC don´t need (like Asus com services).
Have I understood it right ?
Old 03-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #119
danfuerth

You may disable the Asus services just to play out the differences

I am running an AMD FX 8 on an ASUS mobo
http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/CROSSHAIR_V_FORMULA/

I have to run large tracks for live stuff and have no issues running this setup, heck not even on my MSI laptop.

For heavy VSTi projects I run the 2 tandem way

Laptop running Reaper while midi tracks are sent to the desktop running about 20 feet away ( no monitor, no keyboard, no mouse) TightVNC server is running on it. Just power it on and wait about 10 seconds so I can remote connect to it from the laptop

next to the laptop I have a 2nd lcd monitor hooked up where the remote reaper running on the desktop is shown ( TightVNC)

So I am seeing the remote desktop while next to the laptop

Works great as the Desktop bares the brunt of the work.

Yes it is not looking too good for AMD that's for sure these days. They got caught up with Apple going to Intel, so they started to go after cores, a BIG MISTAKE!! they should of gone after speed instead.

Bummer.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #120
Caj

I have done all your tweaking advices (including disable the Asus services),
and my PC is MUCH BETTER than before .
Do you have to do all those tweaking when you have the CROSSHAIR V FORMULA ?
Interesting setup , it sounds like a big studio in my newbie ears ?
Isn´t it enough with much RAM and a good CPU to run big projects ?
I have a small studio room so I have almost no capacity for the Motu interface + Mytek Stereo96 DAC and Mytek Stereo96 ADC + a mic pre (the 2 last shall I buy later this year).
I don´t make any live stuff .My music is a mix of Vsti and sound that I´ve record (I also must buy a better mic than the Zoom H2n I have now).