Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 07-10-2018, 04:25 PM   #41
cyrano
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
Apple lovers are not looking for cheap solutions in general, they like expensive staff, with 1 year warranty and declared obsolete/incompatible after 2-3 years. Free 40kb program for $1 device which will work next 10-20 years is "no go" by design
You clearly don't know many Apple users.

I still support a couple of writers that use LocalTalk wiring with a LaserWriter. They have only one fairly modern Mac, used exclusively for internet. Not for creative writing. And I installed a system 9 Mac for a friend to use one plugin for mastering not too long ago. There are many Mac owners out there that kept their old machines and these last seemingly forever.

DOS, otoh has one big problem: no hardware left that is able to connect to the machines that need it. Sure, emulation is easy. But nothing is available if you need a parallel port that supports bit-banging, or an ISA extension card. Not even with manufacturers of industrial PC's that still have ISA slots. And they'll readily admit it, that compatibility only exists on paper.

Maybe your image got blurred by the iOS crowd...
Old 07-11-2018, 03:16 AM   #42
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
You clearly don't know many Apple users.
From the perspective you describe, yes. Apple users I know are from "new generation" only. The experiment I have mentioned switched to Linux/Windows for its last several years, but that was more then 10 years ago...

Quote:
I still support a couple of writers that use LocalTalk wiring with a LaserWriter. They have only one fairly modern Mac, used exclusively for internet. Not for creative writing. And I installed a system 9 Mac for a friend to use one plugin for mastering not too long ago. There are many Mac owners out there that kept their old machines and these last seemingly forever.
Yes, these was durable. I also still have MacBook from 2000, and it still boots fine (Debian)
The same I can say about PCs. Pentium II also boots fine. Can not say the same about other PCs, till I have decided to use motherboards explicitly marked as durable.
But my recent experience is different, I observe x10 more normal notebooks but the number of failed Apples is almost the same. Several after 1.1 year (bad luck?).

Quote:
DOS, otoh has one big problem: no hardware left that is able to connect to the machines that need it. Sure, emulation is easy. But nothing is available if you need a parallel port that supports bit-banging, or an ISA extension card. Not even with manufacturers of industrial PC's that still have ISA slots. And they'll readily admit it, that compatibility only exists on paper.
I must admit I was not working with PC dedicated hardware. The science use modular platforms like VME. So upgrade is as easy as replacing the controller board. Some equipment is serial or CAN. Sure, with ISA that can be problematic.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:01 AM   #43
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
From the perspective you describe, yes. Apple users I know are from "new generation" only...
That's what I figured. But that's not limited to Apple users. Some phone users I know, buy four or five phones per year. And they tend to loose more when they resell their previous one than iphone users...

Me too, I'd like to see a Mac version. But I know how much work is involved, so I won't beg for it

Besides, I have 17 motorised faders and several other controls lined up for connection to a MidiBox...
Old 07-18-2018, 03:35 AM   #44
azslow3

I have tested the conference system for the first time:
* a mouse as a generic controller, used to switch modes by OSC throw special utility (right top screen-shot). As a reminder, REAPER csurf extension with this technology is linked in the first post
* ESP8266 based display, mode readout throw WiFi+OSC. The sketch will be published on GitHub, can be useful for someone to show mixer/REAPER status. The LED panel is surprising good visible, even with limited luminance (as you can see on the photo, I power the display from mixer USB).

The system itself sounds promising so far, still have to tune mics type/positions/caves and DM parameters
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PIOnAirPhoto_small.jpg (62.0 KB, 158 views)
Old 08-01-2018, 08:43 AM   #45
azslow3

I have added computer keyboards support. 100 buttons for any actions, does not interfere with normal keyboard(s), not Windows focus dependent, cost almost nothing.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #46
shady

bump hidden gem

also, have you gotten this to work for parameter modulation. ideally i could link this up with ReaLearn.

Last edited by shady; 11-13-2018 at 07:56 PM.
shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:19 AM   #47
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady View Post
bump hidden gem

also, have your gotten this to work for parameter modulation. ideally i could link this up with ReaLearn.
Hidden gem, LOL
Because of you bump, I have noticed that previously uploaded version is not working at all...
But I have added a new flag now, sou you can use it with ReaLearn.
Note that all other flags still have effect, so f.e. you can still assign pressed wheel to next/previous track actions (this time in ReaLearn) and still get audition for changed track.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:04 AM   #48
martifingers

Another view of Apple:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKJjLwMUPJI
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:15 AM   #49
cyrano

LOL

That about sums it up, yeah.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #50
azslow3

I do not think someone who is looking for a MIDI controller will ever realize the subject of this thread, till it is moved into "MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC "
Old 04-22-2019, 06:30 PM   #51
shady

a new subforum!

and I may as well say that I succesfully hooked up my Not A Mouse.. to ReaLearn