Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-02-2019, 06:44 AM   #1
Rea5
Human being with feelings

Default Major sale on MusicLab Real Insturments

FYI

If anyone is interested, MusicLab has a sale on until 1/8/19

RealGuitar 5
RealLPC 4
RealStrat 4
RealRick 4
RealEight 4

https://www.musiclab.com/
Rea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:03 PM   #2
lunker

I'm surprised there hasn't been more buzz about Real Strat 5.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:21 AM   #3
mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
I'm surprised there hasn't been more buzz about Real Strat 5.
With all the other guitar VST's nowadays, I think RG (and RealStrat) has just been lost in the shuffle. I got the upgrade, though. Great price! RealStrat can sound a bit twangy, but tweeked a bit sounds good.

I've always had a soft spot for Music Lab since they were one of the first really decent sounding guitar VST's, if I remember correctly. I like their pattern UI.
mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
lunker

Yeah, I think you're right.

I have a couple of other guitar VSTs. One (that I won't name) is actually very good sounding (built-in amps and FX, too) and offers a lot of flexibility and customization. But it runs in Kontakt and is not quite as easy to use as the MusicLab guitars. And its 6-channel MIDI guitar mode has a bug or two that prevent me from getting as much out of it as I can with the MusicLab guitars.

Oh well ... at least we've got options to choose from.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:22 AM   #5
kevadams

I've only been paying any attention to providers of guitar libraries over the past year or so since I stopped being able to play myself, and these guys have passed under my radar so far. I would like to know more about them but their website is pretty unforthcoming, and google doesn't throw up anything. Anyone know more about them?

Also, I'm just about to demo the RealRick because I'd love to have a Ricky 12 in my collection. Does anyone have any thoughts about it, maybe in comparison to the Orange Tree offering? I have other OrangeTree stuff and like it, but money is tight.

Cheers
Kev
Old 01-05-2019, 12:35 PM   #6
Rea5

I’m not very familiar with MusicLab either. I recently stumbled across a post on this forum that mentioned MusicLab and it peaked my interest. I searched and found some similar plugins that interested me and I downloaded their user manuals and watch some of their videos. GuitarPro7, AmpleGuitar, Heavier7Strings and a few others. MusicLab seemed to be the best price for what you get and least hassle to download and install. FYI, they create an account for you when you purchase and send you a license file.

The sale price is what got me to purchase MusicLab. I got the bundle of RealStrat 5, RealLPC 4, and RealEight 4. I had demoed the RealRick 4 but had to decide between that and RealLPC. After the purchase, the other products price dropped but I don’t have the extra money to get them at this time.

There may be other products that have a larger or better library or better sound quality but they cost much more and it seems that you have to buy additional add-ons or something else. I am using Helix Native and Axiom with MusicLab guitars and they sound great.

I am new to plugins like this and key switches and automation. I have been spending what time I can making notes and teaching myself as best I can of how it works.

While there is not as much training or videos as I would like to teach me the way I learn I was impressed by the quick response from Konstantin Borilov at MusicLab Support and Sergey_MusicLab on the forum. They have been responding in one day or less and sometimes the same day.

I downloaded all the training materials I could find and am still reviewing them as needed. The training and videos are in Fruity Loops. I did not find anything for Reaper using MusicLab guitars. I’m sure I’ll be able to figure it out in time. I like what I see so far, just need to spend some time with this.

I get the impression that MusicLab has been around for a while but never got a lot of attention.

Here are some videos that got my interest in MusicLab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=IKUO8zUErew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHPxdrjUUPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi0RSmo91lg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEddwVMe4xU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tHbpGpH32k
Old version of RealStrat & RealLPC
Rea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:58 AM   #7
ajaym

MusicLab were a pioneer in producing credible acoustic guitar with RealGuitar and then went on to produce RealStrat and then RealLPC and RealRick. I have had all these for a long time, and really like them - the electric guitars work really well through Guitar Rig. They also load quickly and don't chew up a ton of memory. RealStrat 5 comes with a new sample set that I really like - it's less twangy then the original, more of a chiming and crystalline sound, but really complements the original rather than replaces it (you still get that as well with v5). Also there are now 12 string patches, which is useful if not entirely authentic.
Unlike a lot of sample sets, the "engine" knows about the limitations of actual guitars and will voice chords appropriately as well as runs, based on the fretboard and what a real guitarist could actually play. It can also handle a variety of guitar techniques such as hammer-ons, mute etc.
The strumming and pattern functionality is also very clever. If you want to incorporate credible sounding guitar parts, then all of these instruments are pretty darn good, in my opinion. Each guitar has its own unique character so picking up the full set is worth it if you can afford it.
ajaym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:03 AM   #8
ajaym

oh, and for real "guitar hero" fun, pick up a KMI Kboard and download my free JS plugin (search the stash for "qunexus" - the KBoard is a cheaper but equally capable device in this context). You can play parts and bend notes and add modulation etc in a very natural way on these amazing little keyboards, as they have pressure sensors on every note. Then take RealStrat, amp it up through Guitar Rig and you too can be Dave Gilmour. Great fun!. (there are some great YT videos showing you how to build GR stacks e.g for 'comfortably numb' so you can nail the sound).
ajaym is offline   Reply With Quote