Old 04-21-2018, 03:31 AM   #1
bhuether
Human being with feelings

Default Why no "Add new Send" on Master Track?

Hi, I am trying to add a send effect on master track. When I click the Master's I/O button I don't see any way to add master send. When I click the track that I added reverb on (the track I am using as the aux for reverb) in its I/O there is no way to specify that it received from master.

From what I have read, seems one should be able to add master send effects. So just not sure what I am overlooking here.

thanks,
Brian
bhuether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:04 AM   #2
Arionas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuether View Post
Hi, I am trying to add a send effect on master track. When I click the Master's I/O button I don't see any way to add master send. When I click the track that I added reverb on (the track I am using as the aux for reverb) in its I/O there is no way to specify that it received from master.

From what I have read, seems one should be able to add master send effects. So just not sure what I am overlooking here.

thanks,
Brian
I think that as everything is routed to go to the Master Track, if you add any send there, it would create a "feedback loop".
Arionas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:09 AM   #3
emwhy

Create another track, name that Master and route everything to that, make a send on that track. Then route that track's output to the "real" master track.
emwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:15 PM   #4
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuether View Post

thanks,
Brian
why not simply insert the reverb plugin into the master track's fx chain and then use the plugin's or Reapers wet/dry knob for this plugin to determin the amount of wet/dry signal?

Another option would be my free VST plugin called "in-track send fx router". This plugin uses pins 3-4 of the track it is inserted on (master track also works) to send a desired amount of the dry signal (on pins 1-2) to an fx plugin like a reverb. The reverb plugin has to be set to receive and output signals via its pins 3-4. The pin connector visible in the following screencap belongs to the Abstract Chamber reverb plugin. The plugin's output is set to 100% wet.

You'll need to put my stereo downmixer plugin behind the reverb plugin to combine the direct and the pseudo-return signal from the plugin as shown in the screenshot. One advantage of this setup is that you are able to solo/monitor/verify the pure wet fx signal (by switching the "dry mute status" slider to "mute"). This is usually not easily possible with other methods.

You can find all these plugins by following the link in my signature.

off topic: Brian, are you aware that your nic "bhuether" makes the German noun "Behüter" which means "guard" / "protector"?

Old 04-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #5
Lokasenna

The Master is literally the last thing before Reaper sends the audio out to your speakers. Where would the send go?

If you want a "master" reverb+effects bus, then emwhy's suggestion is probably the easiest - make a "pre-master", have all of your tracks route to their and disable their Master sends, then you create your reverb send from the pre-master.