Old 04-20-2018, 08:41 PM   #1
boydwgrossii
Human being with feelings

Default Need mixing tips for my acoustic.

http://www.godinguitars.com/godin5thavenuep.htm

This is my acoustic and it's got 2 f-holes and I asked before for some tips on placing the mic. I tried 1.5 feet in front of the f-holes aimed at the body, same spot aimed at the the 12th fret, behind the body aimed at my hand, above the body, etc.

No matter where I put it, it sounds good, but the bottom end is lacking. So, what frequencies should I boost in my Slate Everything Bundle? I've watched a lot of videos on mixing and such, but nothing seems to show how to boost just acoustic low end because you usually have to pull it out.
boydwgrossii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:33 AM   #2
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydwgrossii View Post
[url]

No matter where I put it, it sounds good, but the bottom end is lacking. So, what frequencies should I boost in my Slate Everything Bundle? I've watched a lot of videos on mixing and such, but nothing seems to show how to boost just acoustic low end because you usually have to pull it out.
You'd probably find it more useful to post (or link to) a little snippet of a guitar recording. There's only so much folks can get from a picture of the guitar :-)

Also, it's probably worth mentioning what microphone you're using - in case that's part of your problem. [Edit] I see from you're other posts that you're using a Aston Origin. You haven't got the low-cut on have you? Unless rumble is a huge problem, leave it flat.

Just about any EQ will work for boosting. I'm sure there are excellent EQs available from Slate - but of course Reapers bundled ReaEQ is more than up to the job. Do check out the excellent user guide and the effects guide https://user.cockos.com/~glazfolk/ReaEffectsGuide.pdf

Try a bit (3db is probably more than enough) of boost around 125Hz (for weight) or 250Hz (for body). Maybe. It's a matter of taste. Try it with and without. Alternatively, if you prefer to cut - try a shelf above, say, 500Hz. By pulling down the top end, you'll warm up the sound somewhat.

Remember, this is about your ears and your recording of that specific instrument. You need to try and find what's best. No-one else can do more than give hints about where to start looking.

This kind of thing can work well for solo guitar. If the acoustic is in a mix with other instruments you probably won't need it. Guitar that sounds quite thin solo-ed can work just fine in a mix.

Last edited by jrk; 04-21-2018 at 06:17 AM.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:16 AM   #3
boydwgrossii

I'm using an Aston Origin. I keep the filter flat for guitars and on for vocals.

Here's a snippet of a verse, prechorus, and chorus.

Last edited by boydwgrossii; 04-21-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:18 AM   #4
jrk

You got anything without the reverb? Or is that real room sound? And can I hear running water? what the heck? :-)

Having said that, I wonder if one thing is that it's a bit 'scratchy' sounding? Does a cut around 2.5kHz help?

And some tasteful compression, should get you most of the way there. maybe.

Last edited by jrk; 04-21-2018 at 09:44 AM.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:46 AM   #5
jrk

... I'm hoping the running water is a mp3 artefact - otherwise, maybe call a plumber.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:47 AM   #6
Magicbuss

For more bass simply move the mic closer to the guitar. Try 1 foot and 6".

The F holes will produce the most bass and moving the mic toward the neck will reduce bass.
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:53 AM   #7
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbuss View Post
For more bass simply move the mic closer to the guitar. Try 1 foot and 6".

The F holes will produce the most bass and moving the mic toward the neck will reduce bass.
I'm not sure I could strum with a mic 6 in away. Not without whacking it every now and then. Or that I could sit/stand still enough to keep this distance consistent. But obv, this is worth trying, if you don't upset the talent too much.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:45 PM   #8
boydwgrossii

Here's no Verb. I may have tracked that one at my Auntie's house with the fish tank on the other side of the living room. When I heard it, I kind of liked it, but I don't know why. It reminded me of a gentle waterfall.

Last edited by boydwgrossii; 02-20-2021 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:52 PM   #9
dug dog

As always, it's a matter of personal taste and, if this is gonna be in a mix with other instruments, then it might be fine as it is. However....

I don't have Slate, but here's a ReaEQ preset that's a decent start. A simple low shelf with a Q of 0.01.

Boyd Acoustic.FXP
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:17 PM   #10
boydwgrossii

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
As always, it's a matter of personal taste and, if this is gonna be in a mix with other instruments, then it might be fine as it is. However....

I don't have Slate, but here's a ReaEQ preset that's a decent start. A simple low shelf with a Q of 0.01.

Attachment 33502
How do I open that file? That's a new one to me.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:45 PM   #11
boydwgrossii

Got it! I added ReaEQ and clicked the "+" and added it.

This isn't bad. The songs I'm doing now will only have acoustic guitar and vocals.

I need to thicken up that low end.