Old 04-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #1
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Default Any Overloud TH3 Users?

I just grabbed TH3 and I was amazed at how little cpu it uses compared to similar vst's and how thorough the included FX and midi implementation are.

With the standalone version however, switching presets makes a pretty nasty sound on the switch. Is there any sort of crossfade that can be turned on or something? I can use it inside reaper with SWS Live to get rid of the switching issues, but the standalone looks soooooooooo handy!

Also, when doing apples to apples comparison with Bias FX, specifically on the 5150, TH3 just sounds ratty to me, I can't get it to sound like Bias's version, any trick to that?
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:43 PM   #2
TheMaartian
Human being with feelings

Greetings from 7,000 feet, valley dweller!

I just tried switching between at least a dozen presets with the standalone version, and did not notice any burst of noise during the switch. Of course, if I switched from a clean blues tone to a metal tone, the volume and distortion went way up, but I don't think that's what you're talking about. All of my settings are default, except for setting up the ASIO and MIDI channels. I run guitars through the Left channel (In 9 on my Tascam) and basses through the right channel (In 10). That's all I switch, except for presets, of course.
TheMaartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:44 PM   #3
chucky5p

I have TH3, as well as many other AmpSims (Amplitube, S-Gear, GuitarRig, GTR3, etc) and by far I prefer TH3's sound. When "ResPire" is used on the Cabs section, it really sounds like the compression you get when a real Cab is driven hard, it's really "meaty". Also because TH3 is so low on CPU usage, I can use the lowest buffer setting on my audio interface, therefore ending up with the lowest latency possible. With my Zoom UAC-2 this means at 32 samples@ 96Khz a total round-trip of ~ 2.2msec (REAL number as measure by Centrance) and when I use any other AmpSim, I have to bump the buffer size to at least 96, which means more latency. The combination of the UAC-2 and TH3 makes for a killer live setup.

It's strange that you're having noise issues when switching presets as I do not experience any of this on my setup, whether I use TH3 inside a DAW or with the standalone app. There can be many reasons for this behavior but two things come to my mind; have you tried with a different AmpSim to see if the problem also happens? If so, it's possible your Audio Interface has an input DC residual (or that your guitar use active pickups that outputs a signal that include a DC component and that your interface respond to DC - quite rare) so whenever you switch preset the DC shift will produce a big noise for a very short time.

One solution for this problem is to use a DC remover plugin (available as a JS in Reaper). Another is to open TH3 "Master" section and turn on the noise gate enough to remove the issue. BTW, it's possible your other AmpSims don't have this issue even if it was caused by a audio interface/ active pickup DC residual, as many AmpSims will temporarily crossfade/mute their outputs when switching presets. Most likely TH3 doesn't have that.

Chuck
chucky5p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:26 PM   #4
pipelineaudio
Mortal

The switching noise I'm having is in standalone mode. I can replicate it by not even switching presets, but just stepping again on my MIDI pedal. Say pedal 1 brings up preset 1. Every time I step on pedal 1, I get the noise again.

In REAPER, we just use the reaper live pedalboard project settings where you get a nice, smooth dropout free crossfade

But I'd love to use this in straight standalone mode!
Old 04-19-2018, 06:32 PM   #5
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Actually, you don't even need a midi pedal. Let a note ring out on your guitar and then double click the same preset you are on, it'll make the same noise
Old 04-19-2018, 06:49 PM   #6
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Weird, just tried it on another computer. This one uses an actual DI box, so maybe DC blocking is a factor

Its nowhere near as bad on the distortion click, its still definitely there and horrible compared to doing the crossfade switching in reaper, but not objectionable really...The clean still makes a nasty click
Old 04-19-2018, 06:53 PM   #7
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Ahhh more clues....Since the noise seemed to be a full volume bypass type of sound, I turned the main output volume of TH3 on the other computer up to default value...Now its not a giant noise burst. Still a dropout and still the nasty click on the clean sound, but this is definitely bearable. I think I'm going to buy it
Old 04-20-2018, 02:37 PM   #8
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I got a hold of Overloud, they tested it in house, confirmed a bug and are working on it now.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:16 PM   #9
TheMaartian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
I got a hold of Overloud, they tested it in house, confirmed a bug and are working on it now.
Persistence pays! Way to "hang with 'em"!
TheMaartian is offline   Reply With Quote