Old 07-22-2021, 02:39 PM   #1
Desmond
Human being with feelings

Default Constant Crash Issue

Hello!

Just coming to hopefully get some advice on a constant crashing issue I've been having. Reaper is the most unstable its ever been for me, constantly crashing with no warning or indication as to why.

Its not load or plugin related, because it just crashed with only two plugins open. When it crashes, it locks for just a split second, then just closes, as if I'd hit the close button.

It seems to crash whenever I change a parameter in a plugin, or a preset. Something that would cause a sudden spike in CPU usage, it just crashes. Sometimes I get a half hour of stable time, sometimes only a few minutes. But yes, always seems to crash upon changing something in a plugin.

I am using a custom skin, but that should be purely visual I would imagine, and not affect the performance. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions for me? Thanks!
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:25 PM   #2
tonalstates

I've had issues with opening new tabs, kind of in the same way for the last two versions (AFAIR) just crashes randomly out of nowhere.
tonalstates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:52 PM   #3
msundh

Är you on windows? Check the event log.
Have you tried without any of these two plugins?
Old 09-02-2021, 06:21 AM   #4
nicobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
Its not load or plugin related, because it just crashed with only two plugins open.
Quote:
But yes, always seems to crash upon changing something in a plugin.
Hmm…

Quote:
I am using a custom skin, but that should be purely visual I would imagine, and not affect the performance. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions for me? Thanks!
That is speculation not helping very much. In this case you might try to reset REAPER to the standard skin and see what happens. Or try other skins.

The minimum information developers need to track down a problem is outlined here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=36653 .
nicobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:27 AM   #5
foxAsteria

There's a new feature in the installer to enable Reaper crash reporting in windows.

Although I am also having Reaper poof out of existence randomly when interacting with plugin windows and they haven't shown me the cause yet.

I will suggest updating video drivers, since for me that had a direct effect on the frequency of the crashes and they seemed limited to plugins using OpenGL.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:12 PM   #6
Desmond

Solved it guys! It actually had nothing to do with Reaper at all, which is such a relief, because Reaper has always been incredibly stable for me.

Turns out I actually had a faulty memory module. So no amount of troubleshooting within Reaper would have gotten us out of this.

I suspect the crashing was so random because Reaper would randomly try to put a VST onto the faulty module, and only sometimes would that faulty module malfunction and cause a crash. What a headache. Glad I figured it out tho! Thanks for the suggestions
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote