Old 08-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #1
Carmelious
Human being with feelings

Default Slicing midi file creates a loop in middle of nowhere

Hi,

This is an imported midi file from Sibelius, but it also happens with files from Guitar Pro. For some reason, when I slice the midi file, it creates a loop BEFORE the sliced edge, as if a few bars where deleted... What the hell?
Would appreciate the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66471191_1377817955717067_430034373606113280_n.jpg (22.6 KB, 19 views)
Carmelious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:11 AM   #2
xpander

Do you still have those notches appearing on the item or are they gone already? Reason I'm asking this is that these have sometimes been odd visual glitches which are almost impossible to catch unless there are clear steps to reproduce them. So, if you have any steps for that, could you post them? A minimal Reaper project where this happens would also help.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:19 PM   #3
Carmelious

Sorry, didn't follow the question. It's not a visual glitch, it actually does loop.
I've attatched a project. simply try and slice the midi items and you should see...

This doesn't happen when I make a new project and import from scratch. Must be something in the workflow.

THANKS!
Attached Files
File Type: rpp MIND ACHE BUG.rpp (38.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 08-11-2019, 05:09 PM   #4
xpander

Thanks for the test project. On my end it does behave like a visual glitz...only that in this project as it is, it can be reproduced.

The item source seemed to be looped in the initial state of the project already, so first I unchecked that. After that, making a split does make these notches to appear right before the split. But in this case they do not indicate looping, which can be verified from the item properties. Also, if you resize the item end left of the split point back and forth, you can actually wipe away those notches.

Interesting thing is that the appearance of those notches might be somehow related to the Program Change/CC events at the start of the item. Sometimes I get a small PC text appear at the bottom of this ghost loop part. And if I make more splits to the right of the first split, none of them gets those notches. But if I keep splitting towards the beginning, every new split gets them. ¨

Didn't have time for more than a quick check now, but maybe some clues if this could be resolved later...

---
edit: Partial measure marker at 21.7.00. Splits before that don't make anything odd happen, first split after it will...

edit2: yep, that's it. Steps to reproduce:
Insert a MIDI item (e.g. 4 bars long). Make sure the item source is not looped (F2).
Insert a time signature marker e.g. at bar 4.1.00 of the item.
For the time signature marker, tick time signature (can stay at 4/4) and allow partial measure before this marker.
Set the time signature position to 3.3.00. > notches appear at the end of the item < move the item end to remove the notches.

Last edited by xpander; 08-11-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:35 AM   #5
Carmelious

thank you xpander. I wonder if this can be reoported as a bug to the developers
Old 08-14-2019, 08:40 PM   #6
hopi

if it IS the cc events causing this, it's not a bug...

try to open the item in the midi ed. list view and delete the cc events and see what you get then
Old 08-15-2019, 02:56 AM   #7
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelious View Post
thank you xpander. I wonder if this can be reoported as a bug to the developers
Maybe this could be reported in Bug reports, since there are pretty clear steps to reproduce it. On the other hand, at least on my end it seems to be just a visual anomaly not affecting Reaper otherwise, so it's understandable if it wouldn't get much attention unless easy to fix.

@hopi. Not CCs but partial measures, steps to reproduce are in post #4.