Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-15-2021, 01:53 AM   #1
jameslondon74
Human being with feelings

Default Full screen mixer / hide arranger view?

First time poster here. Great to be here, Reaper is awesome!

Sometimes I like to work without seeing the arranger view, and just see a full screen mixer. Is this possible in Reaper? My research says no but I might not be looking in the right places, sorry if this is a weird question. It kinda bugs me that the arranger track window always has to be visible.

E.g. in Ableton you can toggle between full screen mixer and full screen arranger.

Thanks.
jameslondon74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:31 AM   #2
Wallaby

Default Maximum size mixer

https://youtu.be/8hhbMpMJeR4
Wallaby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 01:28 AM   #3
jameslondon74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
It didn't work. She floats the mixer window and then moves it to the top of the screen where it attaches to the Reaper bar and goes full screen.
My floating mixer window doesn't attach. It just remains floating. Am I missing something? I'm on a Mac if that matters. Maybe a hidden setting somewhere?

I just want to be able to switch between a full screen arranger view and a full screen mixer view, just like in Ableton Live.

thanks!
Old 11-16-2021, 12:53 PM   #4
Stella645

Did you try double click on the top bar?

Double click and drag work on Windows but not sure about Mac.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 05:15 AM   #5
jameslondon74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Did you try double click on the top bar?

Double click and drag work on Windows but not sure about Mac.
Double click on the mixer menu bar pops the window to fill the screen on top of the arranger, but then getting to the arranger means closing the mixer window. It's not right.

Ok I have a workaround - to hit option-M to show the mixer when I need it, maximised (but I still can't completely cover the arranger).

Why does the arranger window always have to be visible? Now I have a large mixer, but the first track of the arranger is peeking over the top.
Also, having the mixer full screen on another monitor is great, but plug in windows are hidden when you use the mixer on the same monitor. How do I make sure plugin windows are always on top?

thanks!

Last edited by jameslondon74; 11-17-2021 at 05:29 AM.
Old 11-17-2021, 05:29 AM   #6
DarkStar

Maybe I've missed something, but I've just used a couple of Screen Sets:
F7 gives me the usual Arranger view with the transport, the FX Browser and Mixer(both in tabbed Dockers) below it
F8 gives me a full Mixer with the Transport.

>>> https://imgur.com/vMgbILo.png

>>> https://imgur.com/uJdY5dh.png
Old 11-17-2021, 05:47 AM   #7
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslondon74 View Post
Double click on the mixer menu bar pops the window to fill the screen on top of the arranger, but then getting to the arranger means closing the mixer window. It's not right.
I don't understand....if this get's the mixer to full screen then why don't you simply use CMD/M from here to switch between mixer and arranger?

Re plugins on top of mixer...this is an ongoing issue. probably your best bet is not to undock the mixer at all. Make a screenset where the mixer is the only thing in the docker and another where the arrange is showing and put these on a function key.
Old 11-17-2021, 05:57 AM   #8
OLSHALOM

Is option-M the following Action "40078, View: Toggle mixer visible"?
Anyway I use this one and when the Mixer-Window is floating, it can be fullscreen covering everything here (on a mac).

Quote:
Also, having the mixer full screen on another monitor is great, but plug in windows are hidden when you use the mixer on the same monitor. How do I make sure plugin windows are always on top?
There's a "drawingboard needle" in every floating window in the right top corner for this.

my 2 cents
OLSHALOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:47 AM   #9
jameslondon74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Maybe I've missed something, but I've just used a couple of Screen Sets:
F7 gives me the usual Arranger view with the transport, the FX Browser and Mixer(both in tabbed Dockers) below it
F8 gives me a full Mixer with the Transport.

>>> https://imgur.com/vMgbILo.png

>>> https://imgur.com/uJdY5dh.png
This is exactly what I want but I can't completely cover the arranger. It's always peeking out.

How is your full screen option possible? Am I right in thinking the screenset has the playbar as a floating window covering up the arranger?
Old 11-17-2021, 06:47 AM   #10
jameslondon74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
I don't understand....if this get's the mixer to full screen then why don't you simply use CMD/M from here to switch between mixer and arranger?

Re plugins on top of mixer...this is an ongoing issue. probably your best bet is not to undock the mixer at all. Make a screenset where the mixer is the only thing in the docker and another where the arrange is showing and put these on a function key.
That's what I want to do, but I DONT want to see the arranger when Mixer is full screen. I can't see any way of hiding it.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:52 AM   #11
Stella645

Can you post a screencap......the fullscreen mixer should be completely full screen, not leaving arrange poking out behind it.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:24 AM   #12
DarkStar

Quote:
This is exactly what I want but I can't completely cover the arranger. It's always peeking out.

How is your full screen option possible? Am I right in thinking the screenset has the playbar as a floating window covering up the arranger?
Yes, I floated the Transport and Mixer docker windows, then positioned / resized them where I wanted, over the Arranger. Note that the Main Toolbar buttons are still visible.

If I want I can Pin the Transport window (to keep it on top), then double-click the Mixer title bar ro make it full screen.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:43 AM   #13
bjohn

On my Mac at least, this works:

click the standard Mac green button in the top left corner of the window ("Enter Full Screen, " see screen shot) when you're in the Arranger view and then hit command-M to call up the mixer. If the mixer isn't full screen, click the green "Enter Full Screen" button on the mixer window.

Now, hitting command-M will toggle back and forth between a full-screen arranger and a full-screen mixer. You won't see the arranger when the mixer is full screen and you won't see the mixer when the arranger is full screen.

Works for me, anyway. If it doesn't work for you, please tell us which version of Mac OS you are using.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 11.06.36 AM.png (17.4 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by bjohn; 11-17-2021 at 09:08 AM. Reason: added more detail and screen shot
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:49 AM   #14
androo

Screen sets?
https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#dx_6sZR_MX4
androo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:05 AM   #15
jameslondon74

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn View Post
On my Mac at least, this works:

click the standard Mac green button in the top left corner of the window ("Enter Full Screen, " see screen shot) when you're in the Arranger view and then hit command-M to call up the mixer. If the mixer isn't full screen, click the green "Enter Full Screen" button on the mixer window.

Now, hitting command-M will toggle back and forth between a full-screen arranger and a full-screen mixer. You won't see the arranger when the mixer is full screen and you won't see the mixer when the arranger is full screen.

Works for me, anyway. If it doesn't work for you, please tell us which version of Mac OS you are using.
I've attached two screen shots so hopefully you can see what I mean.

The first is the largest I can draw the mixer window, you can see the arranger peeking over the top - I can't close that gap. But even if I wanted to close the gap, maybe I shouldn't - because I still need to see where I am in the track.

The second is a full screen mixer window (after hitting the green max corner icon), and you will see the white window bar along the top - indicating it's NOT true full screen. When it's like this, any plugin pop up windows are hidden by the mixer window when I operate it.

Ideally I'd want a full screen mixer without the menu bar, a true full screen toggle between full screen arranger and full screen mixer, with the plug ins always visible on top.

I'm on Mac Catalina 10.15.6

I'm making do with leaving the little bit of arranger window above the mixer, it's really no big deal. Just bugs me and it's a bit untidy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mixer full max.jpg (49.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg mixer full with bar.jpg (57.8 KB, 68 views)
Old 11-19-2021, 02:56 AM   #16
bjohn

Quote:
I've attached two screen shots so hopefully you can see what I mean.

The first is the largest I can draw the mixer window, you can see the arranger peeking over the top - I can't close that gap.
Okay, I see what the problem is: you have your mixer docked (which is how Reaper comes by default). Simply undock it and this problem will go away.

In the mixer, right-click (or control-click if you don't have a right mouse button) in an area outside the tracks and you'll see a menu. At the bottom of the menu is an item "Dock Mixer in Docker." Uncheck that box and you'll be sorted. Plugin windows will also pop up on top when you're in full screen mixer. Use command-M to toggle between full-screen arranger and full-screen mixer.

Last edited by bjohn; 11-19-2021 at 03:01 AM.
Old 11-19-2021, 04:02 AM   #17
jameslondon74

Quote:
Okay, I see what the problem is: you have your mixer docked (which is how Reaper comes by default). Simply undock it and this problem will go away.

In the mixer, right-click (or control-click if you don't have a right mouse button) in an area outside the tracks and you'll see a menu. At the bottom of the menu is an item "Dock Mixer in Docker." Uncheck that box and you'll be sorted. Plugin windows will also pop up on top when you're in full screen mixer. Use command-M to toggle between full-screen arranger and full-screen mixer.
I've already used that option. The undocked mixer doesn't fill the screen properly when I hit the green button. At least, not in the same way the main arranger window does. A white menu bar remains along the top.

The big difference, is that the main arranger window, when full screen (without the white bar), always remains in the background behind any pop up windows. This isn't the case with the mixer, which always hides any pop up windows making it pretty unusable like this.

So I have to make do with a docked mixer, and a little bit of the arranger peeking out. No big deal and at least it means I can see the timeline. If Mixer was full screen, that wouldn't be possible.

Maybe a good thing to add is the ability to see the timeline with a full screen mixer.
Old 11-19-2021, 04:13 AM   #18
jameslondon74

Quote:
Originally Posted by androo View Post
Yeah screen sets have helped. I have one with full screen arranger, and one with mixer docked and as large as I can get it, with a bit of the arranger peeking out over the top.
Old 11-19-2021, 05:07 AM   #19
bjohn

Quote:
The big difference, is that the main arranger window, when full screen (without the white bar), always remains in the background behind any pop up windows. This isn't the case with the mixer, which always hides any pop up windows making it pretty unusable like this.
That's so strange: on my Mac, when I have the undocked mixer in full screen mode (and yes, it still has that white bar at the top), clicking on any plugin on a track pops up its window over the mixer, not behind it. I have no idea why that's not working on yours. I've tried this on Catalina and on my older Mac running Mojave, works on both of them.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:42 AM   #20
jameslondon74

Quote:
That's so strange: on my Mac, when I have the undocked mixer in full screen mode (and yes, it still has that white bar at the top), clicking on any plugin on a track pops up its window over the mixer, not behind it. I have no idea why that's not working on yours. I've tried this on Catalina and on my older Mac running Mojave, works on both of them.
In that configuration, when I open a plugin window, it DOES appear over the mixer window, but lets say I move the plug in window to the side while I want to move a slider on the mixer, as soon as I click on the mixer panel, the plug in window disappears behind the mixer window. So instead (like the arranger window) of the mixer window always being on the bottom, it covers up other windows.

In a perfect world (if you're reading, dear programmers!) is that on two monitors, I can assign the true full screen mixer on the left hand monitor, without the white bar and ALWAYS on the bottom, with the arranger window and everything else on the right hand side monitor.
The solution to this is not to have the mixer full screen on the left hand side, but have it cover half the desktop, so that it never covers up floating plug in windows.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:55 AM   #21
Oscar Myer

I have undocked the mixer and double-clicked on the top. The mixer now appears in total full screen. I double-click on the top again and the mixer now changes back to normal size.

Funny thing is; when the mixer is in full screen the first track appears about 3/4 longer up the window than all the other tracks. This even happens if I resize the mixer window using my mouse. Dunno why it does this... is it because of something I'm doing wrong?

/Oscar
Oscar Myer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 08:27 AM   #22
fredeharley08

I think I've found the solution. There is a 'scale UI elements' option which simply increases the size of everything on the UI by a fixed amount just like changing the screen resolution*. In my case, 1.2-1.5 seems to work ok. But it would be neater if I could also increase the text size within the text boxes by a greater amount. 1.2 x only just gets the track labels and input assign labels big enough to read, 1.5 x means the track windows can no longer display the input assign box without resizing them and using up too much screen real estate (and showing fewer tracks at one time).

There is a fair bit of white (or colored) space in the track windows so they could accommodate larger text boxes.

* I've found running an LCD monitor at other than its native resolution can seriously adversely affect the image quality.
fredeharley08 is offline   Reply With Quote