Old 09-07-2017, 07:11 PM   #1
Sdulemba
Human being with feelings

Default playback issues

my name is Shane. I am very new to Reaper and plan to utilize it for midi orchestration and film music creation but very much a novice. However, I can not seem to get sound when I open up an external midi file exported from Finale or sibelius etc... I was able to follow the videos (which are amazing by the way), and I get sound when using my midi keyboard and utilize the garritan aria player. I am sure I am missing a step somewhere besides just dropping in the midi file into reaper.
I have an imac and using sierra, my interface is a presonus audiobox itwo. If I load the same midi file into finale I get playback sound.
Any help is much appreciated.
Sdulemba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:18 AM   #2
Vasily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdulemba View Post
my name is Shane. I am very new to Reaper and plan to utilize it for midi orchestration and film music creation but very much a novice. However, I can not seem to get sound when I open up an external midi file exported from Finale or sibelius etc... I was able to follow the videos (which are amazing by the way), and I get sound when using my midi keyboard and utilize the garritan aria player. I am sure I am missing a step somewhere besides just dropping in the midi file into reaper.
I have an imac and using sierra, my interface is a presonus audiobox itwo. If I load the same midi file into finale I get playback sound.
Any help is much appreciated.
err, do you have some instrument playing your midi file? you need one.

in simplest case after dropping a midi to a new track, you should press 'fx' button and select your vsti/aui (I assume, that's aria player).
Vasily is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:58 AM   #3
solger

Welcome to the Reaper Forums!

Are you using the garritan aria player on the Reaper Track with the imported MIDI file? Or a different virtual instrument?

In general, you might also have to adjust the MIDI channel and/or transpose the notes up or down, so the notes in the MIDI file are in the correct note range of the virtual instrument you are using.

Last edited by solger; 09-11-2017 at 02:22 AM. Reason: typo
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #4
vdubreeze

IIRC (from the old days : ) ) Finale would play the file through a GM (General Midi) engine which could be set to always play as the instruments. As others are saying, Reaper is a different animal. Click on the fx button on each track and select an instrument to use. You actually can create a default template where all tracks are set up to play instruments, either via a multitimbral plugin or a separate instrument on each track. For the Garritan (Aria?) Player you would just need to make sure the tracks have their midi channel assigned to the instrument you want in the player. Once you get it set up you can save a default template with all the tracks up and the player set to play the correct instruments/channels.