Old 02-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
14strings
Human being with feelings

Default My Mp3s have skips or pauses

I am not exactly new to reaper, but I have just started trying to render to mp3. I have a new Windows 7 and have downloaded the 64bit reaper and the lame_enc. I have recorded a new 4 track piece and am trying to render to an mp3. I can't seem to find any render settings that won't produce skips or pauses in the render. Can anyone explain to me whats going on?

Thanks,
brad

ps I have rendered same project to CD with no problems.

Last edited by 14strings; 02-11-2010 at 08:47 PM. Reason: more info
14strings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
Diogenes

I had the best luck using the encoder from;

http://lame.bakerweb.biz/

In Win 7 64 Home Premium.

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
14strings

Thanks for the suggestion, that version of Lame is certainly an improvement over what I tried so far, but now instead of skips and pauses it's more like pops and crackles. Anything else I can try?

brad
Old 02-11-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
dub3000

what plugins are you using? lots of weird synthedit things in there? (or hardware inserts?)
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
14strings

Just a mic into the mic jack, no plugins no fx, just plain tacks rendered to mp3. Here is a weird development I rendered the track as mp3 directly onto my blackberry by USB instead of my computer's media library and it played fine, no crackle no pops. So maybe my real problem is not rendering but the way Media Player on my computer reads the mp3.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
dub3000

hmm... what sample rate are you using?

what happens if you drag the crackly rendered mp3 into a new reaper session? does it play okay?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
14strings

I tried several settings. At lower sample rates the crackles are more like momentary pauses, the last render I did, I set everything to highest quality(set at 19200 but it actually rendered at 96000). I rendered this as mp3 directly to my blackberry and another mp3 player-no problems. The computer will play these files from the devices but it crackles. I dropped the file back into reaper, reaper played it nicely. I then rendered the d&d'ed file as mp3(highest quality settings). Same crackly results in Windows Media Player. I then rendered the original project again as mp3 at 8000 samples, pauses in Windows Media Player and terrible sound but no pauses or crackles on mp3 player. The same file that crackles on my player player fine on another computer so I'm feeling the problem is my windows media player not reaper or lame.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
dub3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14strings View Post
I tried several settings. At lower sample rates the crackles are more like momentary pauses, the last render I did, I set everything to highest quality(set at 19200 but it actually rendered at 96000). I rendered this as mp3 directly to my blackberry and another mp3 player-no problems. The computer will play these files from the devices but it crackles. I dropped the file back into reaper, reaper played it nicely. I then rendered the d&d'ed file as mp3(highest quality settings). Same crackly results in Windows Media Player. I then rendered the original project again as mp3 at 8000 samples, pauses in Windows Media Player and terrible sound but no pauses or crackles on mp3 player. The same file that crackles on my player player fine on another computer so I'm feeling the problem is my windows media player not reaper or lame.
ok, i see a few problems here. first is that you're getting mp3 bitrate and audio samplerate mixed up. these are different things.

audio samplerate determines the highest frequency you can record. the highest frequency is HALF the samplerate - so, recording at 96kHz theoretically will let your system capture audio up to 48kHz. but a perfect human ear can hear up to about 20kHz, and 30-year olds can usually hear up to about 16kHz.

mp3 bitrate determines how much information gets thrown away when encoding the mp3. at 224kbps, you're going to have a very high quality mp3 for most sources.

when you're building/rendering your session, you should stick to one samplerate the whole time, and ideally it'll be your output samplerate, which is usually 44kHz for CDs and mp3s, 48kHz for DVD audio, and 96kHz for blu-ray (i think). IT IS ILL ADVISED TO MESS AROUND WITH THIS UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. mainly because resampling audio to new samplerates will make your CPU work really hard, and also a lot of USB gear won't work properly. this is probably why Windows Media Player is choking for you.

i would recommend sticking to 24 bit/44kHz for recording, and 224kbps mp3 for rendering (unless you have a specific reason not to).

Last edited by dub3000; 02-12-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #9
14strings

I am trying to follow what you are saying. This whole project(4 track) WAS recorded at 44.1kHz 24bit. I didn't change that at any point. But none of the rendering settings allow my windows media player to play it cleanly as a mp3. The same file does play cleanly on two other computers and a blackberry and an mp3 player. So I'm gonna see whats up with my media player, thanks for all the help though.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
dub3000

what happens if you set your render settings to this:

Attached Images
File Type: png render settings.png (51.5 KB, 272 views)
Old 02-12-2010, 10:38 PM   #11
14strings

I ran the troubleshooter on my windows media player, and the mp3 file is now playing cleanly. Thanks again for helping sort this out.