Old 09-18-2019, 02:04 AM   #1
Rosetree
Human being with feelings

Default Master send enabled and signals present, but no sound!

Hello.
I opened a project file that I was recently working on.

The master send for the main guitar folder track which is receiving signals from both the miced and line guitars is enabled and I can see the signals moving on that particular track, but no sound is coming out.

All the other tracks have the same signal configuration as this particular track, so I am at a loss here.

I checked all the automation envelopes, but none of them are so low that they won't be heard either.

My bandmate is coming tomorrow to work on this piece, so if anybody has any idea as to how to solve this, I would really appreciate it!
Rosetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:23 AM   #2
uncleswede

Hi.

When you see meter activity on the soloed main guitar folder track, are the master track meters active showing activity?

If you solo other tracks, do you see activity and hear sound?

If you create a new folder track and drag the individual mic and line guitar tracks under than folder, can you hear sound then
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:48 AM   #3
Rosetree

Default Yes, but only on one side

Hello uncleswede,

Thank you for getting back to me.

When I solo the guitar folder track, I do see meter activity both on the guitar folder track and the master track.

However, something strange seems to be going on.
As a test, I soloed the drums folder track which has instruments panned through out the stereo, then I do see both the left and right meters moving on the folder as well as the master track.

On the other hand, when I solo the guitar folder track in question, I only see the right channel's meter activity although the pan pot for the guitar folder track is in the center and the miced and the line guitars are both panned to the left and right, so supposedly stereo.

Very strange indeed and the sound was coming out alright until very recently, so I might have turned off something by mistake here.

Last edited by Rosetree; 09-18-2019 at 02:55 AM.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:01 AM   #4
Rosetree

Default A little progress here!

I tried to pan one of the guitars (lined) going into the guitar folder track to the left, then the sound was heard.

The panning for the lined guitar works as intended, but the micked guitar does not obey the pan position and remains on the right side regardless of my tweaking.

Of course, the pan position for the guitar folder track which is receiving both these signals is right in the center.

Something is up with the pan setting for the miced guitar which I can not figure out as of now.

Last edited by Rosetree; 09-18-2019 at 04:55 AM.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:22 AM   #5
uncleswede

On the mic'd guitar track, right-click the PAN knob and set the Pan Law to default. Also set the track width to 100%

Any plugins on the mic'd guitar track that might affect the panning?

Are you able to share the just RPP file (don't worry about the audio) to Dropbox or similar for us to look at?
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:56 AM   #6
Rosetree

Default Sorry for a late reply here!

Hello Uncleswede.
Sorry for a late reply here.

I will post the project file for people to have a look at.
The tracks in question are 42, 43 and 44.

42 is the folder track.
43 is the mic'ed track.
44 is the line track.

I hope you find a clue from the settings.
The names of these tracks are in Japanese, but the "wrong configurations" shall be obvious, I suppose.

Thank you in advance!

Rosetree
Old 09-19-2019, 08:36 AM   #7
serr

Sounds like you're having trouble with panning.

Here's the weird thing about Reaper to wrap your head around.

Sends are minimum 2 channels. (Track channels is the term.)
Sends (by default) come after the pan.

If you have a track with the pan set all the way left, for example:
If you send from that track, the left channel will have audio but the right channel will be silent.

Now if you take the receiving track (receiving from the track you have panned hard left) and pan to the right...
The receiving track has silence on the right channel because the source track is panned to the left. And thus you hear silence.

It's confusing at first when you have single mono sources on tracks and aren't thinking about stereo panning.

Sending pre-fader or pre-pan are also options for sends.
Sometimes you do stuff like alter the routing for the send to send from one mono channel.

Hope that helps.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote