Old 12-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Vendetta V
Human being with feelings

Default Anybody got launchpad?

I'm not talking about lunch

The novation Launchpad. Mini in particular. I'm thinking of adding it to the Reaper. Will it be useful with reaper or does it loose the potential once outside Ableton?

Anybody got it with Reaper?
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
karhide

I have the original launchpad but I've only ever used it in Live not sure what I would use it for in Reaper. I have just picked up a Launch Control that I can see more use for in Reaper because of all the knobs.
karhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
Kamil

Used to have the original for use with Ableton Live. I found it was more suited for live use so I decided to sell it. The non-velocity sensitive pads were killing me so I decided to get something else.

Overall, great controller for Ableton Live since it's already mapped and ready to go out of the box - I don't know how it will function in Reaper.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
Xenakios

Launchpad can be used as additional shortcut keys for Reaper's actions (though if you don't write on the buttons or attach some stickers on them, it might be tough to remember what button is for what action...)

I've myself done some experiments with Justin's new midi2osc tool, various things for controlling effects or Reaper's mixer can be implemented by generating OSC messages in response to the keys pressed on the Launchpad. This requires writing some custom script code, though.

About midi2osc : http://www.1014.org/?article=511
--
Xenakios blog (about HourGlass, Paul(X)Stretch and λ) :
http://xenakios.wordpress.com/
Xenakios is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
Vendetta V

i am actually thinking of getting it for shortcuts.

Hmm may be also use it with Ableton.

Is it worth trying to rewire ableton and sll that with reaper?
Old 12-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
gpunk_w

It is second rate with Ableton compared to what it does in FLS and you can run FLS as a plugin in Reaper (Not entirely sure why you would run Reaper at all when using Launchpad as a performance controller anyway, but hey you asked)
Old 12-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
Vendetta V

not fan of FLS really (if that's Fruity Loops)

Ableton seems good. but idk I often strugle to do simple things that I can do in matter of seconds in Reaper
Old 12-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
plamuk

I use it. I reprogrammed it in bidule to be a completely different instrument. 8 modes. Mode one is meta control, selecting and inspective 16 midi VST tracks and 16 rsm5k tracks. Others are common fx and actions, like show inst/drum busses, system tracks, inputs, etc

Mode 2 is a scale-transposed arpeggiator and autoharp/omnichord style instrument with note hold and control over arp speed

Mode 3 is MLR, mode 4 is a step sequencer...

Mode 8 is a live project controller

It also is stitched together with my quneo...in the arpeggiator mode the ribbon acts as an octave transposer for quick vertical strums

Regardless, having a bank of 80 extra buttons in reaper is great, particularly because midi notes aren't effected by the window focus stealing issue that affects all actions tied to keyboard keys

Last edited by plamuk; 12-12-2013 at 07:17 PM.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:27 AM   #9
Vendetta V

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym View Post
I use it. I reprogrammed it in bidule to be a completely different instrument. 8 modes. Mode one is meta control, selecting and inspective 16 midi VST tracks and 16 rsm5k tracks. Others are common fx and actions, like show inst/drum busses, system tracks, inputs, etc

Mode 2 is a scale-transposed arpeggiator and autoharp/omnichord style instrument with note hold and control over arp speed

Mode 3 is MLR, mode 4 is a step sequencer...

Mode 8 is a live project controller

It also is stitched together with my quneo...in the arpeggiator mode the ribbon acts as an octave transposer for quick vertical strums

Regardless, having a bank of 80 extra buttons in reaper is great, particularly because midi notes aren't effected by the window focus stealing issue that affects all actions tied to keyboard keys
that last paragraph! I know what you're talking. basically the reason I get midi controllers

anyways, so from what I understand you can have different presets and modes? can you elaborate on that?

I would like to use it with Reaper with it's own settings (I actually love programming/settingup my midi controllers) but would also like to have a way to go to the Live presets and such and not limit myself with only one software. Heck tht could be used with Traktor too
Old 12-13-2013, 03:57 AM   #10
gpunk_w

If you use it with Traktor it is pretty cool with Remix decks
Old 12-13-2013, 05:15 AM   #11
plamuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta V View Post
anyways, so from what I understand you can have different presets and modes? can you elaborate on that?
Sure. Posting from a tablet in a bangkok bed and breakfast so forgive any typos.

Bidule sees the launchpad as a controller with 80 buttons, 72 of which send note on/offs and 8 of which send CCS at values 127 and 0. I turned the launchpad so the USB terminal faces "north" and remapped the grid notes to 0-63 using ixix note map ii. The top buttons select the mode/layout, by simply routing the midi from the grid to different channels internally. These channels are eventually reset to CH 1 and output via discrete loopbe midi outputs.

Judging from your love of controllers, you would be a prime candidate for bidule, vendetta. Bidule is like reaper's Missing half in regards to controller control.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:44 AM   #12
Vendetta V

yep thinking of that. btu can you have like different preseets saved for different software?
Old 12-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #13
plamuk

Yes, absolutely. Using loopbe will let you run it all concurrently, too, without worrying about individual applications hogging your physical controller ios. This way, if my live set is running and I bump a controller and disconnect it, i can simply restart bidule instead of reaper.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:33 AM   #14
Vendetta V

Quote:
Yes, absolutely. Using loopbe will let you run it all concurrently, too, without worrying about individual applications hogging your physical controller ios. This way, if my live set is running and I bump a controller and disconnect it, i can simply restart bidule instead of reaper.
you know you don't have to restart Reaper, all you gotta do is open preference (top right or ctrl+p I believe) and close it. That refreshes midi items.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:11 AM   #15
plamuk

Can you do that during live playback? That's the main issue for me, can
T interrupt the set.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #16
Vendetta V

I dont think you can during live playback no :/

we need to request a new action "refresh midi units list"

EDIT: Nym, I'm checking bidule out right now, I thought it was a Launchpad-exclusive software but reading your posts above again I figured you said it about controllers in general. There's a video there so I'm gonna watch that and hopefully it'll cover up the questions. But if you got time, tell me how you benefit from using it with Reaper?

Last edited by Vendetta V; 12-14-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #17
plamuk

Oh yeah, bidule is way better than just oaunchpad software.

If I weren't out of the country right now I'd show you a screen cap of my bidule setup. you can use any number of vsts, js via reajs, and internal bidule items to do whatever you want with midi (or audio but for now I focus on midi)

I use bidule and loop be to stitch together my quneo, launchpad, and homemade midi controller into one cohesive system instead of disparate elements feeding midi into reaper. Buttons on the quneo effect how midi from the homemade controller is interpreted. Both the quneo and the launchpad have 8 modes each, and I've barely used half of these....plenty of to grow. I look forward to building a quneo patch for mobius loop.

For example, both quneo and launchoad have an arpeggiator mode. The quneo pads are still sent to the drum tracks, but the sliders and faders control stuff like velocity, arpeggiator speed, tape-style pitch wobble, pitch bend upper and lower limit, etc. A second bank is learned to the controlled vsti's adsr envelopes, with the super high and seldom used values limited off.

Bidule breathes new life into your controllers. I don't play traditional instruments -- bidule allowed me to build my own instrument...I improvise on my arpeggiator during live shows, and when writing new music.

I'm using bidule standalone for this. It also comes in a VST form and that is a whole other source of excitement for audio stuff.

I'm at the point with my gear that I doubt any daw could do what I want out of the box. Bidule and sws takes me the rest of the way. Next, I need to learn to use osc to learn all of my action command controls, so I can free up the midi channel being used by them via miditoreacontrolpath
Old 12-15-2013, 04:50 AM   #18
Vendetta V

So for example I could have say one encoder send CC1 for instance and if I turn on a button on my controller the encoder starts sending CC2?

As in a modifier key for controllers and encoders and such! I yes then I'm definitely getting it!
Old 12-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #19
plamuk

precisely and exactly that. it's one of those things where if reaper doesn't have it, you can build it yourself. i can help you get over the initial "wait, should i have bought this" hump -- because yes, you can do this and a million other things in bidule.

for instance...the quneo has that nice ribbon, right? i created a patch in bidule that gives the ribbon 4 modes, depending on which button is pressed...(i could have used 1 button to cycle through using a ++ accumulator, but i preferred the quickness of picking between 4 buttons)

mode 1: modwheel.
mode 2: pitchbend. release the ribbon and the LEDs/pb returns to the 0 position, like a real wheel. i added a smoothing item, too, which both increases the resolution and prevents sudden changes from pb values when it resets to 0.
mode 3: transpose, with reset to 0. run your finger along the ribbon while playing with the other hand on the launchpad, and the notes transpose up and down. great for arpeggiation.
mode 4: to be determined.

i'm gonna remote into my home computer and grab a screencap...

keep in mind that this is mostly just a combination of piz plugins, js plugins, and built in bidule midi control items...NOT at all complicated stuff...this is my arpeggiator system.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #20
Vendetta V

that looks complicated a bit. I achieved similar effect (the modifier button)with PureData but noticed latency. From what I understand the standalone bidule goes between my midi and the DAW. does it add any latency?

and thanks for suggesting this thing. I feel like it can be a great addition.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #21
airon

Jezuz Nym, that looks like a pretty good deal.

The Novation SL series has three midi devices showing up, with the third being just for the control knobs, buttons and sliders.

The stuff I could do with switching contexts at the press of a button are enormous. Right now I can do one layer per track template to which I've assigned midi controls to specific things, closely marshaling the resources.

With context switching I could do an all out EQ/compressor layer, a denoiser/desser layer, and so on.

I tried getting the demo today, but it ran out right away :P, so I'll wait a day or two until a new demo appears.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #22
plamuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta V View Post
that looks complicated a bit. I achieved similar effect (the modifier button)with PureData but noticed latency. From what I understand the standalone bidule goes between my midi and the DAW. does it add any latency?

and thanks for suggesting this thing. I feel like it can be a great addition.
I use it for live performance and notice no latency. The part above is much more I'm depth than you will need to go....but I guarantee youll find yourself doing something similarly detailed after you get the hang of it.

Yeah airon, the demo isnt nearly as user friendly as reaper's...maybe I'll mention that this came up in the bidule forums. One thing I will say is that all posts I've made on the forums have been answered in a timely, helpful and polite fashion by the developer.

I would love to get more reaper users involved in bidule...they have a similar attitude of empowering users with flexibility instead of enabling them with "my way or highway" type features. For midi, and the vast and highly personal world of controller use, this approach is ideal
Old 12-16-2013, 01:34 AM   #23
Vendetta V

Quote:
I use it for live performance and notice no latency. The part above is much more I'm depth than you will need to go....but I guarantee youll find yourself doing something similarly detailed after you get the hang of it.

Yeah airon, the demo isnt nearly as user friendly as reaper's...maybe I'll mention that this came up in the bidule forums. One thing I will say is that all posts I've made on the forums have been answered in a timely, helpful and polite fashion by the developer.

I would love to get more reaper users involved in bidule...they have a similar attitude of empowering users with flexibility instead of enabling them with "my way or highway" type features. For midi, and the vast and highly personal world of controller use, this approach is ideal
Sounds good. I'm not actually dreading complicated setups. I am already using quite a confusing setup for anybody but me. Each time I try to teach someone how my setup works and how I can mix and such with most of the time my ingers on knobs instead of the mouse they go like "uhh I better use the mouse that seems quite complicated to grasp".... but not really

I'll definitely check this out and see if I can get a hold of the Demo or something!

Thanks much appreciated. If I get the modifier keys down then that's a HUGE achievement for me!

EDIT: it seems to be 84x will it still work fine with my 64x reaper?

Double EDIT: I could use a little help trying to figure how to do the modifier keys, that'd also help me to get my head around this software

Last edited by Vendetta V; 12-16-2013 at 03:43 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:21 AM   #24
Vendetta V

Bump, NYM
Old 12-19-2013, 03:15 AM   #25
plamuk

thanks for the bump. i'm in chiang mai now, just got back from an ethical elephant home...i got to feed, befriend, ride, and wash an elephant named Minao.

ok so what you're gonna be looking for is param modulation. i got stuck on this at first too - afterwards, you'll be golden.

my example will not be launchpad specific. my impression is that you have a good enough sense of midi that you'll be able to fill in anything i gloss over, but feel free to ask for clarification.

so... let's say you have 1 knob/slider, and you want to create a bank out of 4 more. let's say your bank selector param is cc 0, and the rest are 1-4.

summary:

midi input, routed to midi message filter (good practice -- i typically leave it passing everything thru and just rename it something like "launchpad placeholder" in case my midi devices get rearranged. this way i have an indication of what i need to reconnect). in this case, i use it to only pass CCs, cuz that's all we're using in this example.

message filter routed to CC filter. left hand output outputs only cc 0, which is connected to CC to PARAMS. this is similar in nature to reaper's reacontrolpath.

right hand output is all the rest of the CCs, excluding 0. it goes to a channel remapper, which is one of several ways to split/distinguish midi banks. you can use midi message creators to be more elegant, but this works so well that it is unnecessary to delve deeper for this example.

double click the channel remapper, and midi learn the channel parameter to CC 0. done. now, depending on the output position of CC 0, you can have up to 16 banks ... or less, if you modify the range of CC 0 before it hits CC to Params.

channel remapper outputs to 2 channel filters, which only pass ch 1 and 2, respectively. ch 1 passes midi as it sees it. ch 2 pushes the ccs through a cc remapper, which remaps ccs 1-4 to 5-8. that's your bank! repeat as necessary with additional channel filters.

lastly, all channel paths route back through a ch 1 remapper, and from there it routes to reaper via a virtual midi cable.

this is a quick and dirty way to do what you're looking to do. it works beautifully.

edit - i use the x84 version of this software exclusively, because Piz plugins work(ed?) better with x84. don't forget these, you'll need them, as well as ReaJS
===========

using notes to specify params is a bit trickier and there is probably a better way to do it than what i do...you cant use "note number to params" the way you'd think...it uses the note number itself as an on/off value, not the individual note on/offs you'd expect. i usually use note velocity to params, and then remap several notes to the same note with different specified velocities. convoluted, but once it's done it's done. there's doubtlessly a better way to do this, and i'll refine when i figure it out.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #26
Vendetta V

Thansk nym, all of that almost makes sense.

now a single question. I use channel 16 for such things and channel 1 for controlling VSTis and playing instruments.

Would I need to make a channel filter in the beginning to send only channel 16 thru this route and the other channels leave intact and send directly to Reaper? as well as have the last channel remapper to remap to channel 16 again.

is that correct?
Old 12-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #27
plamuk

channel 16 controls "such things" -- what are such things? do you mean reaper actions?

if i'm understanding correctly, you want to use an existing ch 16 command to act as the modifier to switch banks on ch 1.

if this is the case, just split it aside from all else using a channel filter, work some intermediate magic, remove the modifier CC from the output, and route channel 16 back through to reaper.

remember that you can't use the same midi inputs/outputs in reaper and bidule also - it leads to problems. loopbe loopbe loopbe. nerds.de are great fellas and they, too, deserve the twenty bucks/4 beers it costs for loopbe30.

none of my actual midi devices are initialized in REAPER - they're all initialized in Bidule and eventually routed to REaPER via loopbe.

if you want, draw me up a visual representation of what you're trying to do and i'll take a crack at it.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #28
Vendetta V

I've spent my entire day at accounting and inventory and such things today so I didn't have much time to tinker with bidule other than the setup you got me.
Definitely less interessting than the kickass elephants and all

So far I got the part that I need. it's all good. Now what I wanna do is as follows:

Channel 16th CC messages are assigned to various actions.
Channel 1-2 are for instruments. I'm using Minilab by Arturia. Ch1. is keys Ch2 pads for Battery 4.

This is what I did:

So far what I have is that I put a filter first. channel 16 is only allowed to the modifier mode. The rest is transmitted to loopbe>reaper intact. Now inside the module, I have the modifier not changing the CC of the action but the channel. I'd change the CC but was to lazy for now. Anyways, this seems to be working all fine so far. Hopefully it keeps it that way too.

The big nitpick is launching bidule then Reaper everytime, can you run it in the background or launch it from/with Reaper?

And the at last but not least. I need a new sustain pedal for minilab which I'll assign to channel 16 and make it the Modifier key. Instead of using one of the 8 pads

Cheers, this is pretty cool
Old 12-20-2013, 02:04 AM   #29
plamuk

great job! let's start a bidule thread eventually to show off the cool stuff we've done, to rub it in the faces of those who would rather wait for FRs to be implemented.

i haven't figured out how to make it launch with Reaper. it'd be cool if there were a reaper action to launch an exe/shortcut upon reaper start

you could surely figure something out with another application, though, particularly on windows. check out eventghost, maybe that would work.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:46 AM   #30
Vendetta V

Woah, sorry Nym I didn't see your response, although I was looking forward to it.

Anyways yeah I might start a Bidule thread one of these days, I haven't had time to check the eventghost yet but will do so today! I am really interested n launching the bidule with reaper that'd be pretty cool!
Old 09-18-2019, 11:28 PM   #31
themixtape

Used to have a Launchpad Mini but never really used it with Reaper. Main reason: you can't customize the notes that transmit from each pad. They're in a stupid order that only Ableton understands.

I'm wondering if anyone (please, if so!) can create a Reaper Script that allows the Launchpad Mini, original Launchpad, Launchpad MK2 or Launchpad S... to use 8 octaves of Major, Minor, Major Pent, Minor Pent scales... horizontal (root note a different color such as green or yellow, other scale notes red, or white...)

There's got to be a way to "hack" the original Launchpads... to allow this functionality (that only the Launchpad Pro seems to have). I'd love to pick up another Launchpad Mini because I like the form factor/design of it.... I just want to use it to play scales via the pads... not so much launch clips.

Anyone interested or is it possible? Thanks!

EDIT: I figured out you can use the JS plugin MIDI Note Mapper, with a custom Note Map (txt file inside Reaper's "Data" folder, in "ix_keymaps"... you can easily re-map the Launchpad's notes to proper scales (bottom row, low octave-- top row, high octave)... but, I wish I had light feedback.... arghhhh.

Last edited by themixtape; 09-18-2019 at 11:59 PM.
themixtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:56 AM   #32
mccrabney

use another note mapper on the midi output
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote