Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-17-2019, 03:00 AM   #1
barbaroja
Human being with feelings

Default Low latency midi monitoring like Ableton Live

As the title says. Have not been able to find such an option in REAPER.

In Ableton Live, is under the options menu and says "Reduced latency during monitoring". It does not matter how big your FX latency compensation is per project, the channel you are monitoring to record midi, does pretty much realtime to monitor and record..

Am I missing something or we just do not have this in reaper?

Thanks
barbaroja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:11 AM   #2
hopi

what is your latency in reaper? what is the audio interface you have?
Old 09-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaroja View Post
As the title says. Have not been able to find such an option in REAPER.

In Ableton Live, is under the options menu and says "Reduced latency during monitoring". It does not matter how big your FX latency compensation is per project, the channel you are monitoring to record midi, does pretty much realtime to monitor and record..

Thanks
From my knowledge, there is no such option since it is not required in REAPER: you always monitor with lowest latency.

But check that no plug-is in the monitoring chain have any delay compensation. That delay can not be avoided by any DAW, but REAPER quantize it to the buffer size, effectively increasing it (f.e. you have 3 plug-ins with 1ms delay each in the monitoring chain and the buffer size is 5ms. Most other DAWs will have 1*3=3ms extra latency. REAPER will have 3*5=15ms).
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:47 AM   #4
Stella645

If there is a lot of latency on your record monitor chances are you're running it through a master bus FX chain.

If this is the problem one solution is to use a pre master track and route record tracks direct to master so bypassing those FX.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:35 AM   #5
mschnell

Quote:
I use Reaper for Live playing with midi keyboards, many VST instruments, Vsts, etc.

This in fact is "Midi Monitoring" (with recording not started). My setup features close to zero latency.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:24 PM   #6
barbaroja

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
From my knowledge, there is no such option since it is not required in REAPER: you always monitor with lowest latency.

But check that no plug-is in the monitoring chain have any delay compensation. That delay can not be avoided by any DAW, but REAPER quantize it to the buffer size, effectively increasing it (f.e. you have 3 plug-ins with 1ms delay each in the monitoring chain and the buffer size is 5ms. Most other DAWs will have 1*3=3ms extra latency. REAPER will have 3*5=15ms).
This is the "Standard" way. I have done it like that for long.

I just discovered this in Ableton Live. I was astonished. Somehow, it understands you do not want to monitor with latency and lets you record and monitor in realtime, it does not care about your routing or if the master or a number of tracks have heavy PDC plugins inserted. It does not consider the whole project PDC for monitoring and recording. It does for playback, but not for monitoring. Like a parallel, quick path to the speakers.

I tried sending directly to a hardware out in REAPER to no good.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:07 AM   #7
azslow3

Quote:
This is the "Standard" way. I have done it like that for long.

I just discovered this in Ableton Live. I was astonished. Somehow, it understands you do not want to monitor with latency and lets you record and monitor in realtime, it does not care about your routing or if the master or a number of tracks have heavy PDC plugins inserted. It does not consider the whole project PDC for monitoring and recording. It does for playback, but not for monitoring. Like a parallel, quick path to the speakers.

I tried sending directly to a hardware out in REAPER to no good.
Well, "Standards" are different between DAWs...

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/ar...en-Monitoring-

In case all audio is processed in real time, plug-ins with delays on any track by default affect total PDC for all tracks. So there are "Disable PDC", "Reduced Latency", etc. options.

In REAPER, all playback tracks always have effective PDC absolute zero. They never influence recording/monitoring tracks latency. So there is no related option to make it zero temporary.

But as mentioned before, check that you have not EXPLICITLY asked to monitor with delay. That can happened if:
a) you have plug-ins with delays in the track(s) you are recordning
b) you have plug-ins with delays in the monitoring FX chain
c) you have sends from recorded track(s) to tracks with plug-ins with delays, effectively making these tracks work in recording mode as well.

If you want REAPER ignores users explicit wishes and start isolating recorded tracks on its own, I guess majority users will disagree that is a good feature
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:13 AM   #8
barbaroja

Thanks. Now it is clear.