Old 09-06-2017, 10:07 AM   #1
ivansc
Human being with feelings

Default Firewire cable for Mac Mini

As most of you know I am a total newb on Apple hardware. Just got a liquidmix32 that I would like to use with my mac but am finding the information as to what fits that funny little firewire socket on the mid-2011 Mac Mini Server totally confusing.

Apple seem to want about 30 GB pounds for their cable, but I see lots of no-name cables out there for TENTH of that.
Anyone have any experience with this mix of hardware?

P.S. Yes, I know it will only work on an early version of OSX, but because I also run Logic Pro9 I am already on a suitable version.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:21 AM   #2
serr

The mid 2011 (server) Mac Mini has a standard firewire port. (FW800)

Perhaps you have an older firewire device with the original FW400 port? The FW800 port started replacing the 400 port around 2007. You can simply use a FW400 to FW800 cable to connect the older device and it just works.

Like this one for $5.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...SABEgIBXfD_BwE

There are also little adapter cables (male/female) to adapt one end or the other.

Or... Does your device have that mini FW connector? (Usually found on DV cameras.) You'll find mini FW to FW400 cables for that. This mini connector is actually the oddball.

Also, this machine runs the current version of OSX. (Everything from 10.7 to 10.12) What it will NOT run is the older OS 9.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:09 PM   #3
trevlyns

That dated Mac MINI I bought recently (2007 model I think) has firewire and I've used it successfully with an older Focusrite Saffire LE (also firewire) which I had lying around. I just used a cheap firewire cable off e-bay.

Website
trevlyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #4
ivansc

Went to an Apple store finally - assholes wanted 40GB popunds for the firewire cable and another 40 for a thunderbolt adapter!

So - sticking with my mini display lead and bought a nice Belkin FW cable for 3.99. Thanks for pointing me in the right direcrtion!

And now to see if the LM actually works!
Old 09-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #5
serr

Someone apparently made a rule one day that buying any computer cables in person at a store would be like buying bottled water at a concert. Only order cables online. Any cables. No exceptions.

PS. Use the native firewire. Yeah, adapting the TB port would work too but use the native FW just because it's there.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:57 AM   #6
ivansc

I am indeed on native fw with my £3 Belkin fw cable and the mac is talking to the Liquid Mix!!! All I need to do now is figure out why it cant find the emulation files or indeed the AU plugins that are installed! Fun Fun Fun....

Tickled to death to see it actually connecting up and working!
Old 09-11-2017, 11:27 PM   #7
ivansc

Success! I have the whole nine yards working in both Reaper and Logic Pro9 on my Ma - now to see if I can find a spare pci slot in the PC for the firewire card that came with it.

The Liquid Mix is absolutely amazing so far - every single emulation I have tried sounds really good and of course there is only a minimal cpu hit. Best money I ever spent.