Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-05-2009, 01:25 AM   #1
nicholas
Scribe

Default Announcing: Home Recording for Beginners

I'm pleased to be able to announce the publication of my new book Home Recording for Beginners.

This is designed specifically to meet the needs of the complete (or almost complete) novice to both digital recording and REAPER. The attached link will give you a PDF file which explains its content and design in detail:

http://www.cockos.com/~glazfolk/HR.pdf

If you're an experienced, intermediate level user or above then this is NOT the book for you - you'll almost certainly find it too basic. Not trying to put anybody off, but I'd hate anyone to fork out their money with false expectations.

In brief, it helps the new user understand just about everything they need to know to get started, including a 30 day introductory crash course using REAPER, with step by step exercises and sample files. At the end of this course, you certainly won't know everything you'll ever need to know but you will know enough to progress with confidence, and to identify those areas you will need to focus on.

The book also explains about different equipment, what you need, what you don't need as well as a guide to setting up your home studio.

Some reading this will know the dramas and grief I have had with LULU. For this reason, I'm pleased to say that Course Technology are publishing this. The main downside is that there's no downloadable PDF, hard copy only. The up side is that you can get it at real world and on-line bookstores anywhere - Google the book title (in quotes) together with the name francis (not in quotes) and you'll see what I mean. RRP is about $35 but don't expect to pay more than $25 to $27 if purchasing on-line.

I'm hoping that as well as helping some of the newer users, this book will also really help to promote Reaper to a huge audience outside the existing community. If you've got any questions about it, it's better t post them here rather than to PM me ... my message box is always getting full.

On edit: Regrettably since Cengage went int administration the book publishing side of their business has been run down. This and many other titles are no longer available. However, you might be able to pick up a second hand copy somewhere like Abe Books:

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...srp1-_-title27

Last edited by nicholas; 07-23-2019 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Update info
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:21 AM   #2
yhertogh
Human being with feelings

Nicolas,

Congratulations on publishing this little gem. I wish i had a resource like this when i started out recording and mixing a couple of years ago. I bought ReaMix a while back and am still very impressed by it!

Yves
yhertogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:12 AM   #3
DarkStar

Yes, well done for this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon UK
Product Description
This book guides beginners step-by-step, through the fundamentals of home recording, using the computer as the recording medium. The emphasis is on practical instruction, delivered over the course of 30 lessons in easy-to-understand language and logical sequence and with real examples for the reader to try out. Essential technical knowledge and theory are introduced and explained along the way as it becomes relevant and necessary.

It also takes the reader through what they will need (equipment and cost) if they wish to progress to creating a serious home studio. The book is not software-based, but examples are shown using REAPER, a low-cost Digital Audio Workstation. A 30-day evaluation copy of REAPER is provided on the accompanying CD.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:20 AM   #4
malcolmj

Congratulations Geoffrey! Looks like another fine publication.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:47 AM   #5
adimatis

good one, nicholas!
Old 02-05-2009, 05:04 AM   #6
HoJo

Default What about the previous publications?

Hey Nic,
What about the previous publications?
Will they also be re-released as hardcopy?
At least the ReaMix?

I have to proclaim that all of your work really helps a lot.
At least up to now :-)
Thanks.
HoJo
HoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:33 AM   #7
zappsunzorn

It is to bad you couldn't get a publisher with SOME experience with audio technology books

Just from looking over the description, as well having both your other Reaper related books, I think this will be my new "I want to get into this what do I do?" tip. Having more audio books than I can mention from my first Radio Shack "Recording Great Audio" to "The New Audio Cyclopedia" I have a few criticisms for most basic audio books.

One of my criticisms is that in trying to convince the reader that this stuff is not that hard, the reader gets a false sense that they know more than they actually do. What is often implied is "OK you have read this book now go make the next top 40 record" I fell like I know less about audio now than I did when I was in Jr. High (and had no perspective), not because I know less, but because now I know what I don't know. It looks like this book tries to keep things in perspective.

This book seems to give a game-plan for using the knowledge. The hands on approach (thanks to reaper) should be far more valuable for the reader than just having the facts. (not to mention that it helps the reader answer the question "is recording really for me?" before spending hundreds of dollars)

Congratulations, I hope it is a success!!

Last edited by zappsunzorn; 02-05-2009 at 05:44 AM.
zappsunzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:23 AM   #8
dungbeetle

Nice one, Nicholas.

Sounds like another good'un to me.

"In the hopes of reaching the moon, men fail to see the flowers that blossom at their feet." - Albert Schweitzer
dungbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
perevodman

Default Newbie question

Hello there. Please, help me.

I'm loading an avi with 3 audio streams in a Reaper, for example. But I see in a Reaper only first audio stream.

Can I use other 2 streams in a Reaper? How can I switch them? Is there such a thing at all? Maybe there are some plugins or scripts?
perevodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:05 AM   #10
stivh

Default Home Recording for Beginners / Reaper Power

Firstly, I'm really impressed with "Home Recording for Beginners". It's the only book of its kind that I've seen that takes the complete Noob on a hands-held tour of the steps needed to achieve good sounding recordings.
The combination of the "control" project (RosesinBloom.rpp) to provide a known starting point, added to the encouragement to roll up your sleeves and record something for yourself and apply what you've just learned was particularly useful, IMHO.

Second, does anyone know the current status of "Reaper Power"? I'd like to buy myself a copy of it, to take things further, but when I look at both Amazon and Waterstones, it is listed as either "Out of Stock" or "Unavailable", and the only copies available are Marketplace ones, either shipped from US, or at inflated prices. Any pointers where to get a copy in the UK, please?

many thanks
Steve
stivh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:28 AM   #11
nicholas
Scribe

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately Cengage (who publish both the titles you refer to) have, I think, filed for Chapter 12 bankruptcy, I suspect that they are no longer in production.

However, if you want to take REAPER to the next step, two things you could consider which I think might help you could be a printed, bound copy of the User Guide and a copy of "ReaMix - Breaking the Barriers with REAPER", which goes in depth into mixing techniques. You can find these by following the links in my signature ...

Cheers!
Old 12-05-2013, 04:03 AM   #12
RobertP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Unfortunately Cengage (who publish both the titles you refer to) have, I think, filed for Chapter 12 bankruptcy, I suspect that they are no longer in production.
I have both books, hard copies, which are well thumbed and heavy with post-it notes. Excellent for beginers and others alike.

Just out of curiosity, when this happens, who retains the copyright. Do you still have it nicholas, or the ex-publisher, or whoever buys anything to do with the ex-publisher?

Bankruptcy can take a very long time to get resolved
Old 12-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
stivh

Quote:
Hi Steve,

However, if you want to take REAPER to the next step, two things you could consider which I think might help you could be a printed, bound copy of the User Guide and a copy of "ReaMix - Breaking the Barriers with REAPER", which goes in depth into mixing techniques. You can find these by following the links in my signature ...

Cheers!
Brilliant! Many thanks for the info and pointers. I'm feeling really lucky to have happened across Reaper bundled with a guitar interface,and even luckier to have picked a really good tuition book in HRfB :-) (although, of course, it's sad to hear of the bankruptcy).

cheers
Steve
stivh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #14
With an E

I'm waiting till 11th of June
With an E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #15
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by With an E View Post
I'm waiting till 11th of June
O.K., I'll take the bait ... what happens then?
Old 02-08-2009, 06:27 PM   #16
airon

Probably Kindle2 being released.

Congratulations on that release. I'll recommend it to anyone asking for an introduction to recording themselves.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #17
With an E

Quote:
O.K., I'll take the bait ... what happens then?
REAPER 3 Power is showing as a pre order on Amazon; available from the aforementioned date it seems.

I've got 2 Sonar books in the same series. It'll be nice to have the REAPER version (which I imagine will look dog eared pretty fast)
Old 02-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #18
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by With an E View Post
REAPER 3 Power is showing as a pre order on Amazon; available from the aforementioned date it seems.

I've got 2 Sonar books in the same series. It'll be nice to have the REAPER version (which I imagine will look dog eared pretty fast)
Yes it's in draft form for now and very much a work in progress ... depends on when the software is finished.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:00 PM   #19
Susan G

Hi Geoff-
Quote:
Yes it's in draft form for now and very much a work in progress ... depends on when the software is finished.
That's very cool, congratulations! I have several of Scott's books in the SONAR Power! series. Do you have a link? I didn't see it on Amazon with a quick look.

-Thanks!

-Susan
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:35 AM   #20
With an E

Quote:
Good luck with it; I imagine it's about as easy to coordinate as birds mating mid air!!!
Old 02-08-2009, 06:31 PM   #21
PaulG

Are any retailers offering an e-book version?

If not, can we pay you directly for one?
PaulG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #22
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
Are any retailers offering an e-book version?

If not, can we pay you directly for one?
Paul,

Unfortunately for contractual reasons I'm not able to offer an ebook. I have already made a suggestion to this effect to the publisher, though, and am waiting for a response.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:55 AM   #23
PaulG

Okay, thanks.

Since I've got both your other books, too, could you maybe describe what this one covers outside the scope of those two?

Thanks, and sorry if redundant,

- Paul
PaulG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:54 PM   #24
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
Okay, thanks.

Since I've got both your other books, too, could you maybe describe what this one covers outside the scope of those two?

Thanks, and sorry if redundant,

- Paul
Hey Paul -

There's a fairly detailed account here:
http://www.cockos.com/~glazfolk/HR.pdf

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #25
Dali

Default Got it from Amazon.ca !

As they say: "Only 1 left in stock--order soon (more on the way). "

...Now waiting...

Dali
Old 02-10-2009, 08:06 PM   #26
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dali View Post
As they say: "Only 1 left in stock--order soon (more on the way). "

...Now waiting...

Dali
Thanks! You could also try here ...
http://www.tower.com/home-recording-...wapi/113128921

Old 02-11-2009, 09:25 AM   #27
Susan G

Hi Geoff-

I'll definitely be in line for your new book as soon as I'm gainfully employed again. I lost my job last month (along with nearly 600,000 others) due to the US economic free-fall, and there's definitely a trickle-down (make that "cascade-down") effect! All digits crossed for a relatively quick recovery, then I'll be sure to pick up your book!

Thanks-

-Susan

Last edited by Susan G; 02-11-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #28
Dali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan G View Post
I lost my job last month (along with nearly 600,000 others) due to the US economic free-fall, and there's definitely a trickle-down (make that "cascade-down) effect!

-Susan
I'm really sorry to read that Susan.

Good luck for a better future.

Dali
Old 02-11-2009, 10:33 AM   #29
Susan G

Thanks so much for that, Dali! Many are in much worse shape than I am, but we'll all get through it somehow.

-Susan
Old 02-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #30
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Hi Geoff-

I lost my job last month (along with nearly 600,000 others) due to the US economic free-fall

-Susan
Sorry to hear that Susan, hope you find something soon. Meanwhile I know you'll put the extra time on your hands to good use!
Old 02-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #31
stupeT

Quote:
Hi Geoff-

I'll definitely be in line for your new book as soon as I'm gainfully employed again. I lost my job last month (along with nearly 600,000 others) due to the US economic free-fall, and there's definitely a trickle-down (make that "cascade-down") effect! All digits crossed for a relatively quick recovery, then I'll be sure to pick up your book!

Thanks-

-Susan
Please, Susan,

buy, buy, buy and turn arround the situation in the US!
Old 02-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #32
bluzkat

Quote:
Hi Geoff-
I lost my job last month (along with nearly 600,000 others) due to the US economic free-fall, and there's definitely a trickle-down (make that "cascade-down") effect! All digits crossed for a relatively quick recovery, then I'll be sure to pick up your book!

Thanks-

-Susan
Susan,

Sorry to hear about your job loss (was it automotive related?). You are definitely not alone, I lost my job just before Christmas. Once I get a *few* medical issues under control, I hope to be able to go back to school (at the governments expense) and play a lot more music. It'll be just like I was 20 again!!

Try to see it as an opportunity, not a hardship. Okay enough sappy cliches. Take care.

Peace.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #33
Fabian

Quote:
RRP is about $35 but don't expect to pay more than $25 to $27 if purchasing on-line.
I just bought it from a Swedish on-line book store (www.adlibris.se), 284 SEK (approx US$35), including "free" shipping. Now, I'm eagerly waiting delivery... Thanks nicholas.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:17 AM   #34
surfsup

I have a question. I have been recording for around 7 months now and FEEL I am getting a hang for what everything does. My issue now is just down to two things I guess:

1) understanding the finer points of reaper's functionality and why some of the advanced features are helpful/desired.

2) Tuning my ears so I'm not remixing a song 30 times to make it sound good on my MP3 player...

Would this book help in #1 or is it more an introduction? It looks like there's a few things in there I could use like learning about loops and routing/sends, but wondering how detailed that is?

Last edited by surfsup; 02-16-2009 at 08:20 AM.
surfsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #35
moodswinger

Hey Surf-

It sounds to me like ReaMix would be more what your looking for.
ReaMix and the User Guide give pretty good explainations to the finer points,
and ReaMix will DEFINATELY help with point #2. It's a great book.

If your 7 mos in, and at the point you seem to be, there's nothing not covered
in those 2 that you'd miss from the Beginners guide. But if you're having issues with the fundamentals overall...the Beginners Guide might offer you a worthwhile amount of info.

Just IMO from your post.
if there's a sound you play, that doesn't fit today,
why not just play the bastard anyway.

Be Schitzophonic.
moodswinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #36
Tallisman

this is worth a stick... IMHO

.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:03 PM   #37
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

I had a foreboding this would happen...
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=32829
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:23 PM   #38
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
this is worth a stick... IMHO

.t
Oh dear (or not) ... is that good or bad? I'm afraid we don't have that expression here downunda? I suppose it depends what it's a stick of ....?
Old 03-01-2009, 07:38 PM   #39
moodswinger

Good Call Talli' -
The only thing I wondered as far as making it a sticky is...
would it maybe be better to move it to "Newbieland"?

I just wonder if those who need / would use, would look there first.
I guess we can point 'em here either way.

Either way I think you did the right thing.
Good on ya Bro.
if there's a sound you play, that doesn't fit today,
why not just play the bastard anyway.

Be Schitzophonic.
moodswinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #40
Tallisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswinger View Post
Good Call Talli' -
The only thing I wondered as far as making it a sticky is...
would it maybe be better to move it to "Newbieland"?

I just wonder if those who need / would use, would look there first.
I guess we can point 'em here either way.

Either way I think you did the right thing.
Good on ya Bro.
good point about the newbie land. I cannot take the credit for the idea to hit this with a stick.

it was spike's idea and I agree it was a good one.
.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote