COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > WDL users forum

Old 10-04-2019, 06:06 AM   #41
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
No, like I explained above, *you* have to create the win32 SysListView32 first and then pass the handle of that to the SWS_ListView object when constructing it.
Ah now I see. (IMHO not a very "nice" programming paradigm. With all GUI programming tools I know - in other languages than C++ - the creation of an instance of a widget takes care of creating the OS resources and is fed with a linkage of some parent GUI resource.

OK, IIUC, I need to create and show a SysListView32 on the Windows the GUI of the example code provided by Studio, just by using the Windows API completely independently of any use of the SWS or WD libraries. I suppose I will find out how to do this (looking up the terms dialog resource file and CreateWindow(Ex) via common Windows knowledge websites.

In fact the example code provided by Studio does have a dialog box via a resource file. I can have it pop up (and set a breakpoint at that location in the source code), but I still have no idea how to deal with this resource file using Studio.

Thanks again !
-Michael (Happy user of multiple languages and programming systems, who now understands why it's recommended to use C# and .NET instead of C++ to do even a simple GUI in Windows This really is intimidating.)

Last edited by mschnell; 10-04-2019 at 06:20 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:59 AM   #42
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
This really is intimidating.)
Back in 2007 or something when I started dealing with this win32 crap, it was intimidating. Now it's just seriously annoying and I don't really want to be dealing with it unless I absolutely have to. For Reaper extensions development it does have the positive points that it's the "officially" supported way to do GUIs within Reaper and you can compile the code using Swell for macOs and Linux.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:54 AM   #43
mschnell

Thanks for your pity

As I do have competent help here, I suppose I will be able to find a way ...
-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote