Old 05-05-2019, 09:43 AM   #1
Crumbfort
Human being with feelings

Default High Track Count Themes

Hey all-

Was just wondering what themes people are using for templates with hundreds of tracks. I'm using a modified Default v5 theme. Pretty simple tweaks, just wanted to make a few track layouts that can be quite small in order to see more tracks in the arrange at the same time. Also made a wide/big mcp layout to use as more of an easily visible Logic style inspector type thing.

Always interested to see how other folks are using Reaper for this type of thing!
Crumbfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:20 AM   #2
Herr Nox

Check out I Logic: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=163579

The small TCP view is super clean and clear.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:55 AM   #3
peter5992

My favorite is Alberto's PT 2.0.5 Gold theme - see the other thread. It's perfect if e.g. you have a large orchestral template with hundreds of tracks.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:25 AM   #4
poetnprophet

I have just switched back to Default Commala 2018, which has my favorite of the "narrow" strip views, that still shows all info, all FX, etc. It's the only theme I've found with this narrow view and all track info....most other strip views have a very limited amount of info shown without extra mouse clicks. So when you have many tracks, you get more tracks on screen with more info.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:54 PM   #5
Commala

When I made the Default Commala theme mods I specifically made the layouts to be able to show three digit track numbers. I haven't looked at the "Default Commala 2018" theme that was recommended to you (I didn't make this one), but since it is based on mine it should also show three digits just fine.
Commala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:51 AM   #6
poetnprophet

Thank you for the great theme! This one has all the elements I want in a theme for sure.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:53 PM   #7
Crumbfort

Ah, thanks everyone for posting these! I have some experimenting to do..
Old 05-14-2019, 08:39 AM   #8
Crumbfort

So, random proposition for all my fellow high track count Reaper users. This idea might be silly/improbable/unnecessary/etc... and if you think so definitely let me know! I'll take no offense, just wanted to throw this out there.

What would you all think of commissioning a theme built specifically for users who regularly work with Reaper sessions with hundreds of tracks?

I get bummed out a lot of the time because I can't really make use of SO many cool themes that other people have made when using so many tracks.

Would anyone be interested in approaching one of the talented themers we have around here like blankfiles, cubic13, commala (or anyone interested!) about something like this? Perhaps we could come up with a list of wants/needs/parameters that would best work for a high track count theme?

I don't know, perhaps it's not a viable idea, just wanted to hear my fellow Reaper users' thoughts on this. I'd certainly be willing to pitch in 60-70 bucks for something like this (which I know isn't a lot, considering the time and effort that go into crafting a theme) but perhaps if there were enough of us we could make it worth someones while, at least a little bit.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:01 AM   #9
poetnprophet

Not interested myself, but it's not really clear why you can't use one of the hundreds of already created themes out there? Actually the stock Reaper theme has the thinnest of the narrow mixer layouts to show the most tracks on screen. What is it about that theme or others that don't work for you, or what is it you really need? That's probably where you should start. It may be as easy as modifying a currently available theme to suite your needs which would be much less work for whoever.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:18 AM   #10
Crumbfort

Definitely fair enough!

I do have a modified default v5 theme that I kind of blundered around with and somewhat made it work.

Mostly I'm just looking for ease of use/ease of navigation and overview in the arrange AND mixer when it comes to dealing with 200 to 300+ tracks at a time. Before I used Reaper I used Logic for years (still sometimes do, on occasion) and while I'm not overly fond of the overall look of Logic Pro X, I do find myself missing how far you can zoom out in the arrange while still maintaining legibility and also the inspector system. (Also the tempo list system is incredible).

I suppose I should be happy enough with what I managed (as a non-themer myself) to kludge together with the default v5 theme, and I'm sure that's what I'll end up using going forward, but I was still curious to see if there was any other interest out there.

EDIT: Ah, and it's also not so much about the thinness of the MCP layouts; it's far more about the vertical thinness of the TCP layouts.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:36 PM   #11
cubic13

Hi, Crumbfort

The problem has three aspects, in my view :

- The first one is the minimal heights of the TCP panels when compacted (which means reduced to one row, using the dedicated control in the panel for this). I have tested this minimal value on several themes : for nearly all of them, it slightly varies from 22 to 25 pixels, and none of them go below the first one. It's not by coincidence : the panel have to be still functional at these heights, with the essential controls remaining available. If you really want it, it can be reduced a little more by modifying this non-Walter instruction, which is usually in the header of the rtconfig.txt file of the involved theme, the second parameter of it fixing the height of a 'compacted' tcp panel, in example :

tcp_heights 5 24 47 47

But it will probably brings graphic glitches, as some tests used when defining the theme behavior are based on this minimal height value. The most obvious issue being the display of vertically truncated controls.

- This leads to my second point. There is a requirement for TCP panels designed to be narrowed vertically to something like 15-18 pixels : first, all the controls supposed to appear when the panel is compacted should be reshaped graphically, which actually means, to keep a graphical coherence, that all of them should also be. It's doable, but there is a big design work to be done, as the controls should still be seeable and distinguishable one from from the others enough to not go against the usability of the theme and this becomes difficult, at such low dimensions.

- The last point is : so yes, it's doable, but I'm not sure that the result would be useful for most potential users. And which graphics design/theme to choose for trying this ?

Last edited by cubic13; 05-15-2019 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Improved english and less typos...
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #12
Crumbfort

Hey cubic! Thanks for the detailed response, makes a lot more sense now.

I'll just continue refining my default v5 theme, then. As you say, it sounds like an incredible amount of work for something that the majority of people won't likely use. Doesn't seem likely the new v6 theme will have this option either (I made a couple posts about this in the v6 theme thread that have gone unnoticed, which is all good. White Tie has a lot to deal with and handle with that!) Hopefully I'll be able to tweak that in a similar fashion.

I'm working with this in the v5 theme:

tcp_heights 0 18 18 30 ; supercollapsed, collapsed, small(norecarm), recarm size

with a layout like this:

Layout "bb --- Small + value readouts" "small"

; ---------------------------- USER : mess with these:----------------------------

; order of controls (1-15)
def order_recarm 5
def order_label 1
def order_volume 2
def order_io 0
def order_pan_width 0
def order_mute 3
def order_solo 4
def order_fx 6
def order_fxbyp 0
def order_phase 7
def order_env 8
def order_recmode 9
def order_recmon 10
def order_fxin 11
def order_recinput 12

set pad [3 3]
set n_border [6 6]
set e_size [0 0 15 15]

; element w h pad glu sf
variance order_recarm 0 0 0 0 0
variance order_label 170 0 0 0 0
variance order_volume -75 0 -3 0 0.15
variance order_io 5 0 0 0 0
variance order_pan_width 18 0 0 0 0
variance order_mute 0 0 50 0 0
variance order_solo 0 0 -4 1 0
variance order_fx 20 0 0 0 0
variance order_fxbyp 0 0 0 0 0
variance order_phase 0 0 0 0 0
variance order_env 22 0 0 0 0
variance order_recmode 2 0 0 0 0
variance order_recmon 0 0 0 1 0
variance order_fxin -1 0 0 0 0
variance order_recinput 70 0 -4 1 0.05

set min_width [172]
set f_align [2]
set show_vals [0]
set use_area [1]
set popup_fader [0]

; ----------------------------- OK, stop messing here ----------------------------

And it works OK, really can't complain too much
Old 05-16-2019, 10:02 AM   #13
Tomm

still a fan of this one, which is not good for large screens, but good for compact or high track counts and TCP control:

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1154/R...ReaperThemeZip
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #14
Geoff-h3o

have you checked out Storyteller's orchestral template for reaper (OTR)
You may still want to use themes but it has a cool set-up for viewing certain selections of tracks.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ate+for+reaper
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote