Old 05-06-2020, 01:47 PM   #1
RobertP
Human being with feelings

Default NI S49 series one dead note

I thought i would post here before seeking other help just in case someone has experienced this and has a solution.

I just noticed today that one key/note refuses to play or record.
I have played both NI Komplete instruments through kontakt and kontrol, 3rd party instruments and all as VSTi and standalone. This also applies to using it as a keyboard for non NI stuff.

Also, for this note, F on 2nd octave, I do not get the red line on a Reaper track that shows midi is being sent.

Not sure what to make of this except that the keyboard is kaput...
I feel sick...
Old 05-07-2020, 11:27 PM   #2
carbon

I've gotten a dead key on my old Roland controller a couple of times. Opening it up and cleaning the dust between the contact film fixed the issue for me.
If it's a new keyboard then dust might not be the issue. Opening might void the warranty.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:25 AM   #3
RobertP

At last...
I just fixed mine so am posting here in case anyone else has the problem.

NI wanted me to send it to Germany ...at a cost - 60 Euros + courier both ways, parts extra. I exhaustively searched for someone who could do it within a 200 mile radius and found one very helpful guy about 80 miles away... at a cost - £48 (I deliver)parts extra. I decided to go to him when lockdown was eased.

I then found a couple of specific to my model utubes. One was by scarawag or something. Was ok but a bit like 'lets see what happens when we do this' kind of thing, hmmm.

Then I found this which was just the job.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf-01WiF1k0

and it was a success! and surprisingly easy, I think my anxiety about it got in the way.

Two things about doing it that may help:
Watch out for screw sizes, there were several different sizes and you need to know exactly where they came from. As they are in rows I laid out some masking tape sticky side up and put them on that to be sure.

The little gray silicone/rubber contacts are a bugger to get back in but persevere, be gently forceful. With the bigger ones, rub across the back as they protrude.

There you go. I am a happy bunny and would not hesitate to do it again
Old 07-06-2020, 03:08 AM   #4
DarkStar

Good video.

What a lot of screws!

I would mark the top of the detachable ribbon cable too, to make it easier to insert it again the right way round.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:36 AM   #5
RobertP

Yes, about 40 on the back, black, then another 20 +, chrome, inside keeping the contact bar in place. Did make me wonder when the hell are they going to switch away from Philips PH screws!
Extra advice here: have a good magnet available to help the screws out. some of the holes are a good 30mm deep and being screws into plastic some are reluctant to leave.

Also, it was rather weird but when you turn it upside down to get the back off and all the screws are out, the actual keys area, the whole length of the board, becomes separated from the rest. I didn't realise at first so it's best not to try to move it from then on - and you don't need to really - otherwise the holes for screws won't line up.

My s49 was younger than his it seems as there was no need to uncouple anything. The small circuit board just detached from two sockets and a clip so I just had to move it out of the way to take the contact bar out. Also, both videos show the back staying attached because of a 'glued' ribbon cable. This was no longer the case so the back came cleanly away unattached - mighty pleasing

Last edited by RobertP; 07-06-2020 at 05:50 AM.
RobertP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:28 AM   #6
DarkStar

Didn't I read that, here in the UK, everyone is buying up iso-propanol (isopropyl alcohol) to make home-brew CoVid-19 hand sanitizer?
Old 07-06-2020, 11:58 AM   #7
RobertP

It seems to be easily available now but as this is the first time I have bought some I am not sure. I guess it may have been more difficult to find when there was little toilet paper available...ugh.

I bought a 30ml plastic tube of it for just over £3, no delivery charge. Judging by what else was around I don't think I was duped. Given that two other keys blanked over three weeks I just might need it again.

Interestingly, the full title/description of the stuff is Isopropynol Alcohol 99.9%, ISO Isopropynol IPA Rubbing alcohol Cleansing.

Does the IPA bit mean it has ale in it...did the job...