Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 04-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
bilsner
Human being with feelings

Default cc lane editing not acting as reported in user guide

In the manual it says that holding CTRL will allow fine adjustment of cc lane data, but when I hold CTRL to get my pitch bends to exact divisions of 12... it does nothing. In fact it will not move up or down, it only moves sideways adding more bars, not adjusting the existing one.

Anybody know anything about this ?

Also, having a snap to divisions of 12 here would be nice, my Camel Alchemy does it for it's step sequencer and it's one of the greatest labour saving devices ever

PS.. if this should be in the midi forum then please move it (apologies if that's the case)
bilsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Ctrl does not do exact divisions of 12 for pitch bend, because the pitch bend controller can have different amounts (say, +2 up, -12 down) depending on the synth used, so it doesn't make sense to put that kind of division in there.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
bilsner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Ctrl does not do exact divisions of 12 for pitch bend, because the pitch bend controller can have different amounts (say, +2 up, -12 down) depending on the synth used, so it doesn't make sense to put that kind of division in there.
Of course it makes sense if it's optional, many folks micro edit pitch change data by hand... I am one of them. Don't suppose you know why the CTRL key isn't working as expected ? (or it is I just don't get it). EDIT, I was asking for an optional snap not for it to be associated with the control key, I just want the control key to let me fine adjust as a work around, an option to manually input values would work well too
Old 04-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
EvilDragon

Pressing Ctrl works as expected - it does not snap, it reduces mouse sensitivity so you can do finer increments and decrements of the values.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
bilsner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Pressing Ctrl works as expected - it does not snap, it reduces mouse sensitivity so you can do finer increments and decrements of the values.
Not for me it doesn't ... oh well, very odd, thx for checking

EDIT, also I never said I expected it to snap, you have really got the wrong end of the stick. the whole snap to 12 thing was an aside while I was on the subject. What I wanted was for CTRL to work as fine adjustment as reported in the manual, but for me at least, it does not... OR I am doing it wrong
Old 04-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

You need to use the velocity bar on the note, not in the CC lane (setting that may be a question of mouse modifiers).
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #7
bilsner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
You need to use the velocity bar on the note, not in the CC lane (setting that may be a question of mouse modifiers).
For editing pitch bend data ?
Old 04-06-2012, 05:14 AM   #8
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Sorry, I have too many threads running at times and I've proven to be not threadsafe and I sometimes write stuff into memory addresses that don't even exist. "Mouse modifier..." went into brain cell #1, "...for fine editing..." went to brain cell #2 while "..pitch." was sent to brain cell #3, which doesn't exist. While fumbling the mouse I noticed that this all doesn't work and then, right after finding that CTRL does the wanted behavior on the velocity handle, I replaced the missing content from brain cell #3 by the next best thing that came out of the "things that can be edited" memory, right before "posts". Of course I could write that only into brain cell #3, which has the aforementioned problem with existence, and one got overwritten by the unexpected sudden appearance of my guitar in front of my belly.

After data reduction and reprocessing, I think there is no action for that and no way to do that, and that belongs probably here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=18540
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
bilsner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
Sorry, I have too many threads running at times and I've proven to be not threadsafe and I sometimes write stuff into memory addresses that don't even exist. "Mouse modifier..." went into brain cell #1, "...for fine editing..." went to brain cell #2 while "..pitch." was sent to brain cell #3, which doesn't exist. While fumbling the mouse I noticed that this all doesn't work and then, right after finding that CTRL does the wanted behavior on the velocity handle, I replaced the missing content from brain cell #3 by the next best thing that came out of the "things that can be edited" memory, right before "posts". Of course I could write that only into brain cell #3, which has the aforementioned problem with existence, and one got overwritten by the unexpected sudden appearance of my guitar in front of my belly.

After data reduction and reprocessing, I think there is no action for that and no way to do that, and that belongs probably here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=18540
LMFAO... well at least I know it's not just me, the brain cells and the pitch bending. Thx.