Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-29-2018, 07:22 PM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default I'm getting there! BUT, do I have this right?

Here is a short history of what I am doing:

I am a singer. I am recording the song 'Hero' by Mariah Carey. I have video recording equipment, lighting, web cam, etc.

What I have done is video taped myself singing the song 4 times, each time with the camera at different angles.

My music is pre-recorded that I downloaded off the internet.

I am now close to Mastering the song. Would it be correct of me to solo each track one at a time and EQ to where I like it and then adjust all the volumes of each track accordingly?

I know that there are a ton of videos out on YouTube on MASTERING music.

As a novice at this, can you guys please recommend a few good videos on MASTERING that a newbie can best understand?

If you can do that I would be grateful!

-Steven
Bayside Studios
Berkeley, CA USA 'Home of the Bears' at the University of CA at Berkeley!
Old 01-29-2018, 08:07 PM   #2
hopi

Kenny has a few on the reaper home page videos... good place to start
Old 01-30-2018, 03:12 AM   #3
Judders

What you're describing is mixing, not mastering.

It's very tempting to EQ parts in solo, but it isn't useful - when you are mixing, you want everything to work together, so you EQ and adjust levels with everything playing. Solo is useful if you hear something and want to zero-in on that part briefly, but always check regularly with everything else playing.

Also, don't presume that everything needs EQ. Listen, and wait for things to stand out - does anything sound too dull, too harsh, too boomy, lacking body?

Videos can give you an idea, but practice is the only way to become better. Just dive in, knowing that a few months down the road you will listen back and know that you could do much better.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:48 AM   #4
Jason Lyon

If I recall, you're using karaoke backing tracks, right? They should be at least reasonably balanced and EQed against each other to start with.

Maybe you've messed around with the backing tracks along the way, but I'd suggest the first thing to do would be download them again clean and set them all at unity. Regard the backing tracks as just... done.

Those kind of tracks are designed to sit nicely together - the only rogue element is your performance. That's where you put the effort in when mixing.

You're new to this and you're going to be stabbing in the dark here, so stab at one thing. Try to get your vocal to work as well as you can with the backing. Try to make it sound like it belongs with the backing.

You might not know how or why to do anything specific, but keep researching and experimenting until it starts sounding less and less like a singalong.

Then - only then - if you think a string swell is too heavy or a bassline isn't as punchy as you'd like, you can tinker.

PS One little trick you can try - use a very short slapback delay on the vocal. It has the psychological effect of bringing the track forwards in the mix.
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote