Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 11-17-2020, 09:41 PM   #1
BCF1
Human being with feelings

Default Older tracks, lessons learned ............ OUTLAW

With every track I do the part i dislike the most is vocals. Arguably the most important part as they're usually the vocal point.
I personally can't sing for shit and I used to really cringe when hearing myself. Early in home recording attempts I would try to bury my vocals in a torrent of effects in an effort to somehow have them magically sound cool. It doesn't work. Shit in shit out, is true but adding a bunch of crap to a track in hope of hiding it will ultimately draw attention to it.

In this case removing all the crap on vocals would still leave me with a shit vocal performance. I'm hesitant to try again but pumping myself up for it. The track does have strong points, the outro is pretty sick.

https://soundcloud.com/wristlock/outlaw
BCF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:32 PM   #2
morgon

Vocals are fine imo, the track's a hoot, as are all your posted tracks, cheers.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:39 AM   #3
kindafishy

I dunno man, I have never had an issue with your vocals. I always like them. The only thing I will say is that sometimes it used to be the case that as a listener, I could hear that you were not fully assured of your delivery, but I think that was the only hump to get over. The quality and ability was always there. There is no reason for you not to feel confident and assured. Ham it up. Be you. Deliver it like you are alone in a sound proof chamber and nobody is ever going to hear it - or - deliver it like everyone is going to hear it and like it (because I am telling you straight that they really do).

I have noticed a definite sense that you are much more comfortable now than you used to be. Skulls was a great example of that. You owned that delivery. Time to stop questioning yourself man. You got this.

PS - You are right, the end of this tune is full-on sick. This is a great track. Mix wise, it all feels a bit 'crispy' to me though. Are you doing a lot of high end boosting or using a lot of harmonics/saturation plugins? It's not extremely crispy, just a little crispy.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:49 AM   #4
Jae.Thomas

it's a little harsh/overly loud mix-wise and not my style but the vocals are cool!

Be you.

what the fuck is the point otherwise.

good job.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:00 AM   #5
toleolu

Choke guitars so ono brah!!!

Are you still on schedule to work on something later this month?
Old 11-18-2020, 02:35 PM   #6
BCF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
Vocals are fine imo, the track's a hoot, as are all your posted tracks, cheers.
Thank you morgon appreciate the positive nod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
I dunno man, I have never had an issue with your vocals. I always like them. The only thing I will say is that sometimes it used to be the case that as a listener, I could hear that you were not fully assured of your delivery, but I think that was the only hump to get over. The quality and ability was always there. There is no reason for you not to feel confident and assured. Ham it up. Be you. Deliver it like you are alone in a sound proof chamber and nobody is ever going to hear it - or - deliver it like everyone is going to hear it and like it (because I am telling you straight that they really do).

I have noticed a definite sense that you are much more comfortable now than you used to be. Skulls was a great example of that. You owned that delivery. Time to stop questioning yourself man. You got this.

PS - You are right, the end of this tune is full-on sick. This is a great track. Mix wise, it all feels a bit 'crispy' to me though. Are you doing a lot of high end boosting or using a lot of harmonics/saturation plugins? It's not extremely crispy, just a little crispy.
Wow, didn't see this coming
You really nailed it as I often can not sell myself on a vocal and I agree we should all be having fun with our music regardless of our ability. Pushing beyond our comfort zone is how we improve.
I don't have a clue what I did on this mix. I just gave the track a listen for the first time in 2-3 years and it brought me back to the moment. I recall trying to get Sammydix to do vox. I look forward to loading the project again to have a look and possibly rethink some of the choices made, might be able to improve the mix some. At the time I didn't have monitors or an audio interface.

The reason I posted this track was to suggest that there's things we can learn by revisiting older works and possibly revising or remixing. What choices would we make differently etc.

Thank you for the kind words sir !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae.Thomas View Post

Be you.

what the fuck is the point otherwise.

good job.
Agreed !!!

Thank you for listening and commenting

Really appreciate it !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
Choke guitars so ono brah!!!

Are you still on schedule to work on something later this month?
Thank you brah !!

As of now the schedule is holding and unchanged. Look forward to the colab !

Last edited by BCF1; 11-18-2020 at 03:55 PM.
BCF1 is offline   Reply With Quote