Old 11-16-2020, 05:50 PM   #1
aliteralmind
Human being with feelings

Default Difficulties with Reacomp

The Audacity compression settings:

The Reacomp settings:

Three waveforms, top to bottom: Audacity compressed, Reaper compressed, original.

Notice the threshold and ratio in Reaper are waaaay more severe than in Audacity, yet the Reaper result is much lighter (meaning, much closer to the original) than in Audacity. I want what Audacity is giving me. The peak between fifteen and sixteen seconds in the Reaper-result is especially bothering me.

I'm not even sure the questions to ask. What am I missing?
aliteralmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:19 PM   #2
Held

It looks like Audacity doesn't apply the same amount of make-up gain. The uncompressed transients in Reaper seem much louder.

Maybe try it without make-up gain and compare the results of the actual compression.

I think reducing the ratio and applying manual gain in Reaper will let you get closer to the audacity result.

But I'm just guessing here, so I might be completely off.
Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:18 PM   #3
valy

I mean...you are compressing at 7:1 in Reacomp, so doesn't it make sense that the peaks are lower relative to the RMS part of the signal?

What does 3:1 look like in Reacomp?
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:24 PM   #4
ashcat_lt

400ms is an absurdly long attack time, and 1 second for release is pretty crazy too. ReaComp is giving more makeup gain because the threshold is lower and the ratio is higher. Either of those alone would cause more automatic makeup, and both together just compounds the issue.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:24 AM   #5
sonicowl

Your attack time in reacomp is too long. Decrease it.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 02:35 AM   #6
bFooz

You have auto-makeup in both plugins. But in audacity you have -31dB threshold and in ReaComp -40.3dB. So the auto makeup is louder in ReaComp.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:58 AM   #7
ramses

400 ms atk time seems excessive. I can't imagine many cases where I'd want to use that long of an attack time, unless I was doing some kind of RMS averaging stuff.

>>EDIT<<

I wonder if the audacity "sec" should actually read "milliseconds". Seems off to me to be working in seconds for atk/release parameters. Try using 0.4 and 1 millisecond atk/release times and see if you get closer to what you hear in audacity.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:27 AM   #8
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramses View Post
Try using 0.4 and 1 millisecond atk/release times...
That would be extremely fast and would probably cause distortion on most sources. It does seem very odd that 1 second is the minimum release time!

According to this https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/compressor.html it looks like the attack is some sort of “pre-attack”, but then the release clearly starts after the input drops, so it’s not the same as ReaComp’s pre-comp. Overall that Audacity thing is just really strange.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:47 AM   #9
Fergler

As others have said:
..3:1 vs 7:1
..different methods of attack/lookahead behind the hood are entirely possible (audacity isn't constrained to realtime)
..Audacity doesn't list the RMS, which you have set to 0 in Reaper. 0 means 1:1 peak response, increasing it will round out the response to have more effect on longer areas of loudness vs quick spikes. So we have no idea what Audacity is doing there.
Fergler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:57 PM   #10
TonE

Also worth checking hektors reacomp tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpXqYk1FoWA
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 02:52 PM   #11
vdubreeze

Uncheck the make up gain button and they'll be closer, of not very close. That's normalizing it up to 0 db which the Reaper example isn't doing. You could easily do it with Reaper, just not within Recomp, by double clicking on it (or going to the "item properties" menu and clicking normalize. If you do I would back it off a few db as any further processing might clip it and there's really no point in normalizing early in the game anyway.

Is this a spoken word recording? As mentioned, the compressor settings of .4 and 1 sec won't give best results. .4 is too long attack and 1 sec is much too long release if it is. Start with standard voice over compression of 20 to 50 mill attack and 150 to 350 mill release, keeping the ratio there at 3:1. If it reduces peaks by 3 - 6 db and you feel it needs more, best to add a second comp/limiter after instead of adjusting that one to hit it harder. Set the second compressor to a high ratio 10 or 20:1 make attack and release slightly faster and set the threshold so that it just hits the most transient places and takes them down 2 to 4 db. You can go more compressed on both if it doesn't start sounding too squashed.

You can check the auto make up button in the Reacomp(s) to assure the level ends up at least where you started after being compressed. Or you can do what Audacity is doing and normalize it.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:00 PM   #12
ErBird

That Audacity compressor is doing things that aren't possible with a real-time comp like ReaComp.
Overall, it's pretty strange and I'm not sure I like it.

0.1 s attack, 1 s release, 10:1 ratio, -6 dB threshold
Source, Audacity Comp, ReaComp
ErBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:19 PM   #13
ramses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBird View Post
That Audacity compressor is doing things that aren't possible with a real-time comp like ReaComp.
Overall, it's pretty strange and I'm not sure I like it.

0.1 s attack, 1 s release, 10:1 ratio, -6 dB threshold
Source, Audacity Comp, ReaComp
Hmmm. I don't like the look of the audacity plot. Must be doing something really strange, it doesn't look like the response of any compressor I've come across.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:48 PM   #14
aliteralmind

Wow. So many replies! Thanks to everyone for all this.

I've been completely swamped and have not been able to deal with this. It is important (critical) that I figure this out (and obviously I've betrayed my ignorance about the ins and outs of compression ). I will take all this advice into account as soon as I have a moment to do so.

I should say, however. I started Reacomp with the same exact settings as in Audacity (as much as is possible). Only when I got such a different result did I start to ramp it up to the more extreme settings as in the above screenshot.

Last edited by aliteralmind; 11-25-2020 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:26 AM   #15
Held

Based on ErBird pictures, it seems that Audacity used some look-ahead. In ReaComp, you can set the precomp value to mirror that.

Maybe that helps in addition to all the other advice you have already received.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:39 AM   #16
ramses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held View Post
Based on ErBird pictures, it seems that Audacity used some look-ahead. In ReaComp, you can set the precomp value to mirror that.

Maybe that helps in addition to all the other advice you have already received.
Yes, that must be it. However, the attack/release curves seem to be completely linear, which is weird. To the OP; try a 100ms pre-comp time, a 100ms attack time and a 0.9 second release time, and see if you get any closer.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:08 AM   #17
aliteralmind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramses View Post
To the OP; try a 100ms pre-comp time, a 100ms attack time and a 0.9 second release time, and see if you get any closer.
Will be one of the first things I try. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:13 AM   #18
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held View Post
Based on ErBird pictures, it seems that Audacity used some look-ahead. In ReaComp, you can set the precomp...
It might help some but ReaComp’s lookahead also affects its release because it’s actually just a negative delay in the detector path. Audacity’s release is not like that.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:47 AM   #19
Held

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
It might help some but ReaComp’s lookahead also affects its release because it’s actually just a negative delay in the detector path. Audacity’s release is not like that.
I didn't know that. Thanks