Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-15-2019, 10:22 PM   #1
Thonex
Human being with feelings

Default Horrible clicking on Stop/Rewind using ReaInsert on External Digital FX

Hi gang,

Before I post this in the Bug Reports Forum, I thought I'd run it past the General Forums to see if I'm missing something in my setup.

I have an external Bricasti Reverb hooked up via SPDIF. I use ReaInsert to route to the external Bricasti. All good. I have a simple MIDI drum patch running through Kontakt.. and what's not good is when I hit stop and rewind, I get all sorts of bad digital clicking and artifacts.

On the other hand, using the same exact routing with Nuendo/Cubase... it's butter-smooth. I'm attaching a short 2:40min video with audio to demonstrate what I mean. Along with my settings.

Video Of ReaInsert Click and Pops etc

I hope someone can help find a solution... but sadly, I have a sneaking suspicion this will end up in the bug base.... hope I'm wrong.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Thonex; 09-16-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Thonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #2
SonicAxiom

when I insert my hardware PCM 90 in the same way you are doing it with your M7 I'm not getting this kind of stuttering, neither on stop, nor on rewind. I'm on Windows, fyi, running Reaper 5.971 x64.

I'm wondering if your issue is actually triggered by Kontakt (FX pre-buffering or PDC setting?) and not by the fact that you are using ReaInsert per se.

Did you try using a regular hardware send to feed signals into the M7 and have its fx return come back into a dedicated track? I'd say that this approach will be more flexible than using ReaInsert for inserting hardware fx that require individual wet/dry relations for every signal send to it. Further more, you could process the FX return without affecting the direct signal's portion which is not possible with your current config. And maybe the stuttering issue will also be gone.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:12 PM   #3
Thonex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
when I insert my hardware PCM 90 in the same way you are doing it with your M7 I'm not getting this kind of stuttering, neither on stop, nor on rewind. I'm on Windows, fyi, running Reaper 5.971 x64.

I'm wondering if your issue is actually triggered by Kontakt (FX pre-buffering or PDC setting?) and not by the fact that you are using ReaInsert per se.

Did you try using a regular hardware send to feed signals into the M7 and have its fx return come back into a dedicated track? I'd say that this approach will be more flexible than using ReaInsert for inserting hardware fx that require individual wet/dry relations for every signal send to it. Further more, you could process the FX return without affecting the direct signal's portion which is not possible with your current config. And maybe the stuttering issue will also be gone.

Hi SonicAxiom,

Thanks for your help. The weird thing is if I replace the M7 with a plugin (Valhalla or Lex PCM series or whatever as long as it's a plugin) then there is no clicking or glitching. It only happened when routing through ReaInsert.

Now... I haven't yet tried going analog IO. I guess I could try that. I could do a simple I/O with my Lynx AD/DA . But for now... as far as I can tell it is definitely not Kontakt or VSTi PDC... UNLESS... it's the ReaInsert PDC that is messing with everything else.