Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-13-2019, 05:14 AM   #1
1111Eugene
Human being with feelings

Default HUGE LAGS (Impossible to do anything) (video with sound included)

Hi, I have a big problem (and not only me, I guess). In a big project, nothing is overloaded, but it takes at least several seconds to do anything. Literally anything, to play\stop, to show\hide, to click any button or knob. It's just freezing and lagging. WHY???????????????????????????????????

Here's the video example https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N7g...ew?usp=sharing
1111Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:24 AM   #2
Gerry P

You are using DirectSound - select WDM or ASIO and if not available to you, download and install ASIO4All as your audio driver.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:31 AM   #3
1111Eugene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry P View Post
You are using DirectSound - select WDM or ASIO and if not available to you, download and install ASIO4All as your audio driver.
It only makes everything worse. I chose directsound just to record the audio with the video. It doesn't matter which driver I choose. FOR REAL
one moment I'll try to make another video with all drivers besides asio
Old 06-13-2019, 06:38 AM   #4
X-Raym

Common issues:
- Faulty plugin in project
- Faulty plugin in master fx
- bad disk drive performance or it is alreafy used for other taks
- too many multu tasking (other programs have huge cpu load or disk drive load)
- You have a bad script running (there is an action to kill them all)
- bad audio drivers
- fragmented hard drive
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:57 AM   #5
1111Eugene

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
Common issues:
- Faulty plugin in project
- Faulty plugin in master fx
- bad disk drive performance or it is alreafy used for other taks
- too many multu tasking (other programs have huge cpu load or disk drive load)
- bad audio drivers
- fragmented hard drive
correct me if I'm wrong but I think (at least judging by the win perfomance tab) reaper don't use disk reading at all while playing. It just loads everything to RAM and that's all? I copied everything to ssd drive and loaded the project from it. It seems the same. The problem remains.
Also I tweaked a lot in buffers and other stuff, smth made it better, BUT it is random really. and yes, I inderstand how it sounds. But it is. It can play and stop almost perfectly for one time, or 2, or 3, but then start freezing big time for 10 next ten times.

and I recorded other videos, but without sound, basically the picture is same. Some drivers showed a little bit better play\stop time and crackling.
BUT
it is random.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:12 AM   #6
ivansc

Hi and welcome to the forums! Back to basics to provide a solid base from which we can trouble shoot for you.

Download & install resplendence.com`s latency monitor and see if it throws up any issues with your computer.
I am assuming you are on windows. You need to tell us the spec of your computer (ram, cpu speed & type, etc) and what you are using for an audio/MIDI interface with reaper.

It does rather sound like something in your system is not working as it should, or you have IRQ/driver conflicts. So... more info please.
P.S. I hope you already did, but do take advantage of the Excellent User Guide and the free Video Tutorials available at reaper.fm.
Especially the setup stuff is very useful in faultfinding this sort of issue.

Good luck & keep us posted on progress!

P.P.S. Worth mentioning that you will be fighting losing battle if you are using the internal sound card for big projects, especially if you dont have a proper ASIO driver or a WASAPI compatible audio system.

IF you have WASAPI showing in Reapers Audio system options it would be worth trying it as well. Also put ALL your buffer settings back to factory settings. The only buffer you should need to touch is the one found at Options/Preferences/Audio/Device.

In that window, assuming you have a capable ASIO device clicking on the ASIO settings button accesses the ASIO settings window provided by your ASIO interface`s manufacturer. If you start faffing around with any other buffer settings without really really knowing what you are doing the end result is likely to be worse than leaving it alone.

Last edited by ivansc; 06-13-2019 at 09:18 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:56 AM   #7
1111Eugene

Hi i have
windows 8.1 pro x64 original from microsoft site
all of the services and stuff is on (besides windows defender and several other, for example recovery, firewall and I guess that's it)

2x Xeon x5677 (8 logical - 16 threads)
12gb RAM
128 gb ssd
1 tb hdd
gtx 1050 2gb

EMU 0202 with its asio
latest reaper version
almost all the plugins are vst2 x64

I tried to run the project from hdd and ssd, and it's the same.

I have a thought about the PDC time is too long for the audio buffer to process accurately... If it's even work this way... I guess no..
but
I noticed also the more things are in the project, the more Reaper's GUI lags, even when there's no playback, clicking smth takes a long time to appear, and the playback is just adds to it. Why... the GUI even has to lag...
Old 06-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #8
puddi

I've noticed this as well with Reaper. When projects get really heavy the GUI bogs down.
puddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:59 PM   #9
1111Eugene

even the most unstable soft in the universe doesn't lag like that. Its has an acorn on its logo. Where's the logic of lagging when there's no overload or anything going on... It looks like GUI struggles from the very beginning and get tired of picturing a lot of things.... making it impossible to do anything, because if you wait several secs to do anything, there can't be any creative work, so th reaper itself becomes a useless thing...wtf

Last edited by 1111Eugene; 06-14-2019 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:04 AM   #10
1111Eugene

BTW
there's a software called primocache (or similar)
it caches things from disk to ram for faster respons and so on.
I'm thinking
what if to cache all the reaper's things and needed plugins. but most importantly, the driver and audio buffer itself...
The point is to make almost unlimited processing power, I mean, despite the number of vsts and tracks, for reaper audio response to be instant... Am I too crazy?
But still the GUI lag will spoil everything...
Old 06-14-2019, 01:31 AM   #11
EvilDragon

Reaper doesn't use GPU accelleration like the acorn software does (AFAIK). So even if there's no real-time audio thread overload, GUI can still impact CPU usage from another thread. And Reaper's priority is no audio dropouts, instead of always smooth GUI response.

Also, Reaper DOES use disk when playing back audio media that is in the project. It's a pretty normal thing to do.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:58 AM   #12
1111Eugene

So..... In my opinion it is a big thing and also not a good one, how can it be fixed? yes, I understand there's no such option in preferences. But for example, you said it doesn't use GPU acceleration. What if to force it to use acceleration, with some third-party software? Does it exist?
ok, google.... but I'm also looking forward to knowing your thoughts. Everybody's
Old 06-14-2019, 07:05 AM   #13
karbomusic

I've seen that exact behavior occur when the disk drive was pretty full (no, most DAWs don't cache all audio, they load it in chucks and reaper loads 262144 bytes at a time per track) however .... your CPU is upwards of 80-90% in task manager though which means the real time CPU thread in Reaper could be maxed out but you don't have it visible in the video (right click the performance monitor and chose show real time CPU.

Secondly this isn't normal and isn't bug, something is just wrong, but first things first, what does the RT CPU show when this happens? If that is pegged, that's the problem. Am I right in guessing you probably have 120 tracks or so just so we know?
Old 06-14-2019, 07:15 AM   #14
ivansc

Observing the way your cpu load goes up and down like a yoyo when the system freezes, can I ask you once again to double check your system using resplendence.com`s latency checker? I am getting more & more convinced that you have a background task or an IRQ conflict messing things up. Humour me, please.

Oh - and by any chance are you a francophone?
Old 06-14-2019, 07:16 AM   #15
1111Eugene

For example I found this key in registry.
A screenshot https://i.ibb.co/VWvBrxh/REAPER.png
Old 06-14-2019, 07:19 AM   #16
EvilDragon

You cannot force GPU accelleration in the program which wasn't written to use GPU accelleration at all, AFAIK. Especially since Reaper uses a framework which devs themselves built (WDL) and their own image compositing engine (LICE).
Old 06-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #17
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1111Eugene View Post
So..... In my opinion it is a big thing and also not a good one, how can it be fixed? yes, I understand there's no such option in preferences. But for example, you said it doesn't use GPU acceleration. What if to force it to use acceleration, with some third-party software? Does it exist?
ok, google.... but I'm also looking forward to knowing your thoughts. Everybody's
Something in your system is under powered and results in audio dropouts.

That's simply what's happening with your system.
This isn't bizzaro-land where someone thinks dropouts are OK! There a bottleneck somewhere in your system. Or operator with latency settings.

Looking at the specs, your machine should still have plenty of potential.
You're running Windows... There will be many services running in the background that take CPU time. You've already experienced how that can manifest. Things get busy at the wrong moment and you get audio dropouts. Other moments are fine.

There are threads around the forum here for tweaking Windows into behaving. Look those up.

Real quick:

You have a computer, audio interface, and DAW with abilities.

You set the block size which gives the system that interval of time for processing. It either does it or you get dropouts.
You can insert a certain number of plugins before the system can't keep up. Too much processing overhead and... dropouts.

First question:
Are you running live sound or performing live through a MIDI instrument plugin?
If yes, you need a baseline low latency to perform without lag.
If no, you don't need low latency operation and further should set the system to high latency to take a load off the CPU.

If you need low latency, that's a hard bottom line. There's a maximum block size you can use to make your required latency. You may need to tweak or revisit your OS choice or your interface choice or some of the computer itself in the worst case. Or simply limit yourself to more CPU friendly plugins for live use.

If you don't need to monitor the output of the computer in real time sync with real life, set your block size to something like 512 or 1024 samples to free up CPU time. Now you can mix with hundreds of tracks and lots of big plugins.

The first screen shot you might want to share is your Reaper Preferences/Audio/Device page.
Think about and answer the question of live sound/performance or not. Again, mixing work and anything where you're only listening to playback does not require live sound low latency.

Further...
There are audio interface control options in Reaper to handle every situation. You can disable control from Reaper for example if you have some interface that demands to be run from a 3rd party control panel.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:06 AM   #18
karbomusic

Did I miss the update with the RT CPU?
Old 06-14-2019, 10:07 AM   #19
EvilDragon

There wasn't any.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:37 AM   #20
1111Eugene

Serr
It would be better if you delete your post. It's not relevant, because you didn't watch the video, or smth. Nothing is bottlenecking. I need an accurate explanation why this happens (not just "change your driver" because it doesn't solve anything). Or a way to fix it. Or at least my issue (or at least just the GUI lag alone) getting noticed by the developers. They know for sure. It is maybe the only weak spot of the Reaper. Why not fix it, not a bad idea, I guess.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #21
serr

Well, I watched your video which showed a DAW system trying to play but experiencing obvious audio dropouts. But OK, trolling. Got it!
Ignore list it is then.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:35 AM   #22
karbomusic

Did anyone follow instructions and send RT CPU yet?
Old 06-14-2019, 03:08 PM   #23
andyp24

Why not fix it? you ask....

Probably because the vast majority of users here (amateurs and professionals) do not see this issue at all, meaning it's far more likely to be an issue with the way your system is set up than a fundamental bug in Reaper.

You will struggle to make progress unless you go back to basics and eliminate all the potential causes (buffer size, realtime CPU bottlenecks, plugins that aren't behaving etc).

Best of luck.
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:29 AM   #24
1111Eugene

what a beings... It is useless. Farewell
Old 06-15-2019, 12:33 AM   #25
EvilDragon

Well if you provided more info you'd get better answers. We asked you several times to provide RT CPU measurement from Reaper's performance meter (you right-click in it and enable the option). You didn't do it. What more do you expect from us? You're not listening to us at all, we can't help you further.

I'm pretty sure the realtime audio thread is overburdened due to the number of plugins you're using. Your whole CPU does NOT have to reach 100% to get dropouts, if the main audio thread is oversaturated you WILL get dropouts and sluggishness even if your CPU is not at 100%.

Watch this video for some education:

Old 06-15-2019, 12:35 AM   #26
karbomusic

So I guess we aren't getting the RT CPU huh?
Old 06-15-2019, 12:50 AM   #27
lolilol1975

Quote:
Serr
It would be better if you delete your post. It's not relevant, because you didn't watch the video, or smth. Nothing is bottlenecking. I need an accurate explanation why this happens (not just "change your driver" because it doesn't solve anything). Or a way to fix it. Or at least my issue (or at least just the GUI lag alone) getting noticed by the developers. They know for sure. It is maybe the only weak spot of the Reaper. Why not fix it, not a bad idea, I guess.
Quote:
what a beings... It is useless. Farewell

Wow, such dumb and disgraceful responses is a sure sign of an idiot.
Out of 12 posts, this dude managed to insult two members of the forum who spent significant time helping him, show his technical ignorance multiple times (thinking one can just "turn on" hardware acceleration), and reach wrong conclusions without even doing what was recommended to him (measuring latency).

Well, fellows, I suggest to leave this guy alone and let him manage by himself. Sure he will end up blaming Reaper for his own stupidity, then will try another DAW and will realize he has the exact same issues with the other DAWs, just worse. Once he understands how dumb he is, he will learn to be a bit more humble, which in my opinion is a more important life lesson than solving his computer issue.

Last edited by lolilol1975; 06-15-2019 at 01:05 AM.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:49 AM   #28
ivansc

Wait till he tries to install Garage Band on his PC...
Old 06-15-2019, 07:06 AM   #29
1111Eugene

I didn't get what RT CPU was about... I'll do it soon. I thought it was about some new upcoming feature.
And yes, people (who know I'm talking to you) YOU SMART. YOu're genius. MOST smart there ever can be. You're welcome. There's no need for you to say anything else.
and STILL the GUI lags no matter, no matter *ucking what's happening anywhere. Why did you choose to ignore this? Because it won't make you seem smart and rich..... oh, I'm sorry...
and of course,you have the most stable and productive system hardware configuration there can be. No matter what, you don't have such bug or issue, never ever. Because you're very smart. You're welcome
Old 06-15-2019, 07:46 AM   #30
karbomusic

Quote:
Why did you choose to ignore this?
We didn't!! But you're to busy being argumentative and not listening. RT CPU being pegged @100% can exactly cause issues similar to yours but... Like you said, you didn't know what it was, everyone else does know what it is, and far more about reaper performance - some of the best troubleshooters in the community trying to help and you keep yelling at them and ignoring their asks. Troubleshooting properly requires patience and methodical steps, we've not even gotten close to that yet.

Let those who know how to deal with such issues drive for a bit, instead of giving them the middle finger.

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-15-2019 at 07:54 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:15 AM   #31
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Hi, I have a big problem (and not only me, I guess). In a big project, nothing is overloaded, but it takes at least several seconds to do anything. Literally anything, to play\stop, to show\hide, to click any button or knob. It's just freezing and lagging. WHY???????????????????????????????????

Switch to ASIO, double your buffer to 2048, and if it keeps happening turn off your plugins one by one (starting with the BASS tracks), stopping and starting each time until your CPU drops to 50%.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:46 AM   #32
ivansc

Quote:
I didn't get what RT CPU was about... I'll do it soon. I thought it was about some new upcoming feature.
And yes, people (who know I'm talking to you) YOU SMART. YOu're genius. MOST smart there ever can be. You're welcome. There's no need for you to say anything else.
and STILL the GUI lags no matter, no matter *ucking what's happening anywhere. Why did you choose to ignore this? Because it won't make you seem smart and rich..... oh, I'm sorry...
and of course,you have the most stable and productive system hardware configuration there can be. No matter what, you don't have such bug or issue, never ever. Because you're very smart. You're welcome
You could always try responding to people offering help and suggestions & maybe acknowledge that you have actually tried following their advice?

Like mine: "Observing the way your cpu load goes up and down like a yoyo when the system freezes, can I ask you once again to double check your system using resplendence.com`s latency checker? I am getting more & more convinced that you have a background task or an IRQ conflict messing things up."

There is an old saying: You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Maybe you should try it?
Old 06-15-2019, 12:52 PM   #33
andyp24

OP,

I am sorry you're having problems with your system. I do know it can be frustrating.

But abusive language and attitude will never encourage people to help you. Nobody who has answered in this thread has done so to make themselves look smart, or rich, or anything else. They have done so to try and help you find the source of your problem.

My last piece of advice to you is this: stop acting like a spoilt child, grow up and learn to be courteous and humble when you're asking for help.

Best of luck
Andy
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:00 PM   #34
1111Eugene

You've just got it your way, all I say is if you wanna help, you should know the answer first. If you don't, just say I don't know at least, or nothing at all. Isn't it is logical? But people don't control themselves and start automaticly protect their ego, saying whatever, but meaning they don't have any issues at all and that the issue in fact is just in me, because I know nothing and they do. Also they are much cooler (which is also logical). And what they really should have done is just helping with several words, if they know the answer.

BTW, does anybody happen to know where to find that RT CPU feature? and yes, google shows me smth not relevant, also because I'm stupid and some granddad-style computer user (which is illogical, because I've managed to record a video for the thread. Now you think. Ok, you don't have too, but about that RT CPU feature...

Also, I'm sorry, if I was wrong. Yes, I was, to some degree.
If somebody cares (I don't (because it would be selfish), it wasn't negative almost at all, it was for "shaking the brains". maybe not the best way, but so what... still it can offer a positive effect. just choose it exactly the same way, as people usually choose the negative one almost every time.

Last edited by 1111Eugene; 06-15-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:11 PM   #35
EvilDragon

I already told you how to get to the RT CPU listing. In Reaper's performance meter, right-click to open a context menu, you will see a number of options there. Might as well enable most of them on. Make a new video with those options enabled, this will provide more useful information.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:49 PM   #36
cutnpaste
Banned

Quote:

Have you checked for malware, virus, social apps; they all will suck the life out of your computer.
cutnpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:40 AM   #37
chip mcdonald

Quote:
You've just got it your way, all I say is if you wanna help, you should know the answer first.

The answer is to use the ASIO driver for your interface; increase your buffer a lot; and as I wrote, disable plugins one by one (on the bass track) until you see the PDC come down.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:15 AM   #38
xinky

I have simillar problem. With 20+ tracks, and really a lot of items, for example spliting item is like 2 seconds long
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
how its called ? i cant find it?
xinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:43 AM   #39
bolgwrad

My 2 cents' worth: Is the OP trying to edit 4K video or something? The higher the resolution, the more Reaper struggles on my jaloPC.