Old 04-30-2021, 07:47 AM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Fun with FM7fx.dll

Since this plugin just started working along with B4fx.dll after trying Yabridge, I figgered I should mess around with it and see what kind of crazy stuff it might be able to do.

If you've programmed a DX7 before you know how they use pure sine waves as carriers and modulators. If you haven't, think of it like singing through a fan. Your voice is the carrier and the fan is the modulator.

Anyway, the FM7fx.dll has a couple of algorithms that let you use outside audio sources as either a carrier or a modulator, so I had the lightbulb moment where I thought "what would happen if I used the B4 organ as the modulator".

What happens is you get a modulator that has drawbars, distortion, and a Leslie. To top it off the B4 doesn't respond to pitch bends, where the FM7 does. That lends itself to heavily oscillated bends.

This non-musical sample I did starts off with just the FM7 with no modulation from the B4, then I start moving drawbars, each of which modulate the FM7 differently. Then I turn on the Leslie for a moment before doing some pitch bends to show the oscillation effect.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/son...ongID=14240253

Note: you can get some very musical sounds out of this configuration, but for this test I wanted to show better what effect the modulator has. Yesterday I dialed up a real magical sound using it and my classical pianist wife came in the room and commandeered my midi keyboard to try the sound out.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:26 PM   #2
4duhwinnn

Great lightbulb moment! For those perhaps wondering. FM7 is an excellent
Native Instruments synth, I believe the newer FM8 lost a few of it's features
along the way. Several Synths of that era had separate fx plugin .dlls
...z3ta, Absynth, SynthMaster, Wusikstation, Reaktor, probably many more.
Cheers

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 05-02-2021 at 07:38 PM.
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:11 AM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
Great lightbulb moment!
Tanks mon. I had last used this plugin in Windows and had always tried sending guitar or vocals to it, which never impressed me.

After installing Yabridge the plugin started working in Linux so I was messing around with it and thought "what if I sent it the same musical notes as the modulation".

I intentionally pushed way more modulation into the test recording so it would be easy to see what it does. At the end of the test recording though, I had only a couple of the higher register drawbars pulled out, and you can hear that the sound is getting more musical and playable. The sound I had dialed up that drew my wife into the room wanting to play it, was in a similar vein.

Quote:
For those perhaps wondering. FM7 is an excellent
Native Instruments synth, I believe the newer FM8 lost a few of it's features
along the way. Several Synths of that era had separate fx plugin .dlls
...z3ta, Absynth, SynthMaster, Wusikstation, Reaktor, probably many more.
Cheers
The other plugin that just started working was the B4fx which is just the Leslie emulation from the B4 Organ. I've already setup guitar template tracks that have the Leslie with fast/slow assigned to my damper pedal. That one I used a lot in Windows, but now that the FM7fx is working, and I've found that using another softsynth as either a carrier or modulator can do some real slick sounds, I'll be incorporating it into some projects as well.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote