Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 05-01-2021, 11:05 PM   #1
skarpo
Human being with feelings

Default Stability of windows plugins via wine. + some issues

I was wondering if running a heavy windows plugin through wine vs just running it through windows has any performance difference. I've noticed high dsp loads with certain windows plugins in carla.

--------------my issues

(fixed, just needed to add another input channel from 2 to 3 in reapers settings)
My snowball mics not detecting in reaper either.

Last edited by skarpo; 05-12-2021 at 04:26 AM.
skarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:36 AM   #2
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarpo View Post
I was wondering if running a heavy windows plugin through wine vs just running it through windows has any performance difference. I've noticed high dsp loads with certain windows plugins in carla.

--------------my issues

1.Does it matter if you put a vst3 in your.vst folder. I have a .vst, .vst2, and .vst3 folder, do you just make them there for reference of the different types? Can you just name it anything? I've found a lack of reliable documentation.
The .vst and .vst3 folders in Linux are strictly for native Linux VST and VST3 plugins.

Quote:
2. Is DSSI vst? In carla there's no plugin path for just vst.
DSSI is not VST. There is a plugin path in Carla for VST. You have to drop down the list of what plugin type you are setting the path for, and there is LADSPA, DSSI, LV2, VST2, VST3, SF2/3, and SFZ on that drop down.

Quote:
My snowball mics not detecting in reaper either. other daws are fine.
You need to select ALSA in REAPER as the audio system, then on the two drop down panels for input and output device, select your Snowball and whatever you are using for audio playback.

Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:58 AM   #3
JamesPeters

Also see this report that I just posted about the input/output device selection. You have to click on the arrow on the right in those boxes to expose the selections that are available.

Also there are more options to use Windows VST in Reaper for Linux. I use Yabridge along with a bleeding-edge version of Wine called wine-tkg. There are threads about it in this forum in particular. Here's one:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=252092
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:20 AM   #4
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
You have to click on the arrow on the right in those boxes to expose the selections that are available.
I'd never noticed that coz I had always clicked the down arrows.

That IS funky and should be changed so that clicking anywhere on the drop down causes it to drop down. I can't think of when you would ever need to type something into those fields that isn't in the list, and if there is a valid reason to type, maybe a double click could get you a cursor where a single gets the dropdown.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:44 AM   #5
JamesPeters

It should work the way it does in Windows, if possible. A default input or output should be chosen automatically, and clicking anywhere in the box makes it drop down (no text input should ever be needed for that sort of box).

If the first "thing" automatically chosen is blank, that's not so bad as long as clicking the box anywhere makes it drop down.

But yeah, I clicked the arrows too. It was like "why isn't this dropping down..." click click click click click "oh there we go".
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:28 AM   #6
skarpo

I got yabridge now working in ubuntu studio. It makes things alot eaiser just been able to load the plugin straight in without another window ontop.
skarpo is offline   Reply With Quote